It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• SSRI's vs. Benzos

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-13-2004, 10:40 AM   #1
    Random2
    Inactive

Random2 HB User
    SSRI's vs. Benzos

It seems like the great majority of docs. look at benzos (i.e. xanax) like heroin. They refuse to prescribe benzos for the most part, because they are "addictive". I have been taking 2 mgs of xanax for 1 year & it helps tremendously. My current doc. tried me on SSRI's like Paxil, celexa+++. Paxil made me feel like I had the worst stomach flu for 5 days. Celexa did nothing. Most of these take 3-6 weeks to get any results. To wean a patient off of a benzo (2 mgs is not abuse & is not excessive), to go on an SSRI is ridiculous imo. The kick-backs must be nice for Paxil & some of the SSRI's for the docs.
    Don't even mention going to a psychiatrist, because they are even more anti-benzo.

If someone has high b/p docs. will put you on beta blockers which are addictive as well. What is the difference???? If one isn't abusing a drug & just using it for anxiety-nervousness, what is the big deal?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2004, 02:12 PM   #2
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    Re: SSRI's vs. Benzos

hi lillian,
    there are still some docs and psychs out there who will prescribe benzos,try older ones
    xanax has a bad reputation and sometimes it helps to ask for another benzo such as clonazepam or perhaps generic valium

beta blockers arent at all addictive and can be taken as needed, they reduce the physical but not mental problems from stress and anxiety

its said that the antidepressant makers are demonising the benzos to make docs prescribe antidepressants only for anxiety

anxiety sufferers seldom have addictive type personalitys

the real benzo addicts are often doctors, pharmacists and nburses who have unlimited supplies of them

Old 05-13-2004, 02:43 PM   #3
    Random2
    Inactive

Random2 HB User

Betas are a b**ch to get off of though, because they can raise heart rate+ if you don't wean.

I agree with you about SSRI's & Benzos. They are probably keeping the benzos for themselves & enjoy the kick-backs from the SSRI's that s**k imo.

Old 06-02-2004, 10:22 AM   #4
    1derer
    (female)

1derer HB User

I agree with you 100% Lillian. In the past 4 years I have had about 6 different SSRI's prescribed for me. None of them helped, and in ALL cases actually made me feel worse. After much pleading, and having to endure a lecture about how the "benzos" are "highly addictive", I was finally given a script for about 20, 1mg tablets of Lorazapam. It was instant relief, I felt so much better, and I only took one when neccessary. The script lasted for three months, and when I finally asked for a refill, the doc said no! I cannot decide whether this is about the brainwashing of the medical community, or kickbacks. But this has been going on with SSRI's for years, and the next big thing will follow the same course, I am sure, and knock them off the pedestal. And meanwhile, these drugs that proved viable for years, and helped many people, are being demonized. I would hope that my doctor felt ashamed that I could not go to her, and instead had to order off the internet as a last resort. But I know that is not the case. Curse them all.

Old 06-02-2004, 10:41 AM   #5
    Jon895

Jon895 HB User

i agree with benzos they do work alot better ! i think it depends on what is causing ur anxiety for me its worrying bout my heath so im not as depressed as im more worried!! one girl i knew had anxiety after her mom died and went on on anti depressants worked right away for her! so im on xanax low dose 1 mg xr a day which took my doctor months til he would give me it i didnt give up til he gave me them! if ur doc wont give u them change doctors xanax to what i understand is the best number 1 drug for anxiety its basically made just for it! ive also read most people with anxiety wont abuse it at all they r 2 scared 2 so i would try it see how it works! iam also on beta blockers 25 mg atenenol works great i tried 3 beta blockers this one works good! i just cut half of my dose its good to ween of beta blocker is what my pharmasist told me! half of my dose works just as good most days as my full dose and gives less side effects! good luck people u will get over this! also by the way i tried anti depressants which made me worse and my heartrate to acually go up it was horrible! jonathan

Last edited by Jon895; 06-02-2004 at 10:46 AM.

Old 06-02-2004, 04:51 PM   #6
    bingling

bingling HB User

My case is different
    I hate benzos...love my Celexa.
    But in my case..Deppression causes my anxiety.
    Depression runs in my family not anxiety.
    I have anxiety about being depressed.
    And also in my case SSRI's have helped many people in my family.
    I have also tried Beta Blockers...but they cause you to be more depressed.
    So I ended up feeling worse.
    I also have to say I have a great doctor...who never tried to give me SSRI"s
    That was my choice!
    Everyone is different

Closed Thread