It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• I'm Terrified - Please Help I'm Begging!!!!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-20-2004, 07:52 PM   #1
    The_Cheese_Man
    Inactive

The_Cheese_Man HB User
    Unhappy I'm Terrified - Please Help I'm Begging!!!!!!

Hi

I have had panic attacks off and on for years along with some anxiety here and there. I went off Xanax for 4 months and believe it or not, a lot of the anxiety went away and so I came to believe that at least some of the anxiety had actually been caused by the Xanax itself. I have also been on Atenolol recently and I have OCD, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Acid Reflux Disease (GERD) and several alergic disorders that run in my family (Sinusitis, Rhinitis, etc). I am a 42 year old male, X-smoker, X-drinker, X-chewer but I quit over a year ago, etc. I do chew nicotine gum.

Anyway, having told you all a little about myself, please let me say that I am TERRIFIED!!. I had been feeling great for a long time and was'nt even thinking about my health. I had a LOT going for me and was always keeping busy. Then, one day I was feeling really down and sad for no apparent reason and the following day, I began to be more and more irritable. I also had some mild, intermittant shortness of breat and a slightly sore throat on the left side of my throat (I have a bad molar there so maybe this cause it but I can't be sure).

By the third day, I started having a panic attack. I could feel the typical "surge of adrenalin" that would seem to start in the pit of my stomach and shoot upwards followed by a feeling of fear and anxiety. I was no longer depressed or irritable but now I had this anxiety to deal with for the first time in months. I also developed some mild stomach cramps and diarrhea which kept me up last night and I ran to the bathroom at least twice in the middle of the night. I was really getting worried - especially since I had been feeling so good before and since this thing seemed to come out of nowhere and because it seemed to be viral (sore thoat, etc) and yet I had'nt been around anyone to speak of.

Today I went to the doctor and he gave me some meds to settle down my stomach (a narcotic) and sent me home. When I got home, I did what a lot of people with anxiety do...I started thinking the worst and before long, I had absolutely convinced myself that I had rabies and was going to die. I was thinking to myself "so this is how I'm going to leave this world, eh?" and the more I read and worried over this, the more that "rush of adrenalin" and fear would shoot up through me. Even the Xanax did'nt help that much and I was really starting to freak out and get horribley scared. I even read that rabies started out as a sore throat and later, anxiety and this REALLY made me lose it. I don't know how rabies works but I've always heard that once you begin showing symptoms, the disease progresses very rapidly and kills you so it's not like you just get sick and then "deal with it"...you DIE. Does anyone out there know anything about it and when they say that it "progresses rapidly and then is fatal" how much time exactly are they talking about between the onset of symptoms and death?. I mean, are you like sick one day and dead the next?. I've also thought about AIDS and cancer but I don't know.

The worst part is that the whole front of my head feels like it's under pressure and my eyes are bugging out or something. It's kind of hard to explain but it just feels wierd like I'm all spacy or something and some of my symptoms are both frightening and bizzarre. I find myself wanting to say "oh, it's just anxiety hitting me again" but then WHY would it suddenly come back after all these months and why is'nt the Xanax working this time?. Also I keep getting this "fluttering" that seems to be coming from my lungs or heart.

Anyway, please help me somebody. I am so scared and I can't stand not knowing what's wrong with me anymore. Maybe I'm just too scared to know.

Thank you very much!!

Last edited by The_Cheese_Man; 05-20-2004 at 07:59 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2004, 09:04 PM   #2
    Graciecat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User
    Re: I'm Terrified - Please Help I'm Begging!!!!!!

First of all, I took Xanax for years and it was the only thing that calmed me down and kept me sane.
    I've never heard of it actually causing anxiety, but then again I'm not a Doctor so I could be wrong and as with all of these medications everyone reacts differently to them...so I'm not doubting you at all..I've just never heard that before.
    Secondly, did you just stop taking it, or did you wean off of it?
    Were you taking it everyday, or just every once in awhile?
    And from what you've said, you're back on it again?

I've never chewed nicotine gum, but is it possible that you're chewing to much and that's causing you to have panic attacks?
    I've heard some people say that smoking caused their attacks to be worse, so maybe the nicotine gum is doing that to you.

From everything I've ever heard or read about rabies the only way you get it is if you're bitten or come in contact with a rabid animal...have you come in contact with any stray or unfamiliar animals and if you were did the animal act odd in anyway?

The pressure in your head could have something to do with the sore throat you have...ie perhaps you have a sinus or ear infection.

As for the feeling spacey that is also a symptom of anxiety, when I was having attacks I used to get that all the time, it's called depersonalzation or derealization.

I didn't have one single panic attack for over seven years, and then one day there it was again...so they do sometimes seem to go away and then come back out of the blue...mine are gone again, I hope they stay away this time!!
    As to why the Xanax isn't working, I really don't have an answer for you about that...how much are you taking?....how old are the pills?....were the pills in a place that was very warm?...all of those things can effect how they work.
    The fluttering is also a symptom of panic, I used to get that too it felt like my heart was skipping beats.

Like I said, I'm not a Doctor but I sounds to me as though the anxiety and OCD are just working overtime and doing their best to freak you out.

Now after I said all of that, if you still feel freaked out and scared there's no shame in calling your Doctor and telling him/her how you are feeling.

I hope this helps a little.
    I know it's easier said then done, but please try to calm down.
    It's a little over an hour since you posted, I hope you're feeling a bit better now.

Old 05-20-2004, 10:34 PM   #3
    microwave
    Veteran
    (female)

microwave HB Usermicrowave HB User

Hang in there, it will get better! I've been through what you are experiencing. My first time was 6 years ago. I remember freaking out over every single little thing. Worrying about everything, even when I knew it didn't make sense! But, with good doctors, medication, and understanding people, I slowly came out of it. I went on to finish college, get married, go on a wonderful honeymoon, and have a good job.

Then 6 months ago, I was almost totally 'weaned' off my meds, when I woke up in the middle of the night having a panic attack. It all came back again. Anxiety, depression, you name it. But, luckily, I knew what was happening. I made an appointment with the psychiatrist the next day and got on meds. I cut back on my work and stress, and talked it out (A LOT!!) with my husband. I started keeping a journal. Everytime I made progress, I wrote it down.

Now, 6 months later, I'm almost out of it again. I'm doing so much better! I just went on a week-long vacation with my husband, and I not having panic attacks. I have realized that for me (you may be very different), I may be on meds for a while. I've realized that I have to cut down on my stress and allow myself to say "no" to others and relax. But you know what? That's okay! At least I feel better, and am living a happy life again.

I know things seem so bleak right now, but you will get better. You will find good doctors that will help you get this straightened out. You will get back to your old life and you will be happy again. I swear! I know it sounds cliche, but take it one day at a time. Each day you get through is one more day closer to the day when you are feeling 'normal' again. Hang in there.

Old 05-21-2004, 06:27 AM   #4
    crabbyroad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

crabbyroad HB User

Cheese,

What are you taking for the IBS or GERD? Treating that will help alot with anxiety, if I wake up and have the bathroom bouts, its a sure fire way of your body telling you your under stress or experiencing anxiety. Gerd with the acid backing up into your throat and chest area will also cause you more anxiety. And the more heightened sensitive to these symptoms will magnify the panic.

As far as rabies, you would have to have been bitten by an animal with it, I highly doubt that you have contracted rabies, normally it does progress over a period of time, no you arent well one day and gone the next, it begins normally with an extreme excessive thirst, that even can not be quenched with all the liquids consumed.

I would venture to say your IBS bouts are triggering your latest episodes.

Old 05-21-2004, 05:32 PM   #5
    abbygirl2
    Veteran

abbygirl2 HB User

So sorry your feeling so bad, it is so hard to go through each day feeling this way. Panic and anxiety can return for no apparent reason. Mine started up again 6 months ago after a 6 yr break. I was at a very good point in my life, I was feeling good, then out of the blue one day I felt a little faint and broke into a full blown panic attack-called the ambulance and everything. That was 6 months ago. I was so 'sick' I couldn't make it to Dr's app's. Thats how stressed I was. I layed in bed most everyday, obsessing, obsessing, obsessing. I was put on a few different SSRI's with no relief, now I am on Zoloft(again), I feel slightly better-I am not laying in bed all day, and am not too sick to go to the Dr.
    It will get better-eventually, I feel like I am on my way out of this misery but setbacks are often and I find I am tired of trying so hard some days.
    Take care, sorry I can't help you on the Rabies thing, what makes you think you have rabies? Were you bitten by a strange animal recently?

Hope your feeling better-keep us posted

Abby

Closed Thread