It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Lexapro pals

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-05-2004, 09:34 AM   #1
    Stcy

Stcy HB User
    Lightbulb Lexapro pals

I am currently taking 10mg Lexapro for my depression/anxiety. I also take 1mg Klonopin as needed for my anxiety. What I am looking for on here is someone that may be taking the same meds so that we can help each other through this. I have been on Lexapro for about a week and a half now. If anyone would like to keep in touch please let me know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2004, 12:55 PM   #2
    Alli1981

Alli1981 HB User
    Re: Lexapro pals

hello
    i have been on lexapro (5mg) for my anxiety for 13 days. some days are better then others. i also take ativan as needed for the side effects. what side effects are you having? this week has been very tough. the side effects can get bad for me. i go between feeling very tired to very wired and anxious. i also get this weird disoriented spacey feeling. my appetite has lessened (not so bad..haha..at least i don't have to worry about my diet). i think it may be starting to work on my anxiety but i am not sure. what is your story? hang in there and keep in touch, this is hard!!!!
    alli

Old 06-05-2004, 01:27 PM   #3
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

I know you guys are on Lexapro. My girlfriends on Lexapro. I'm on the generic for prozac taking 10mg a day. But I'd like to jump in on this subject b/c side effects are side effects and everyone's different. I notice somedays I'm feeling pretty good and other days I'm so anxious I could just jump out of my skin. Is anyone feeling like this off Lexapro? Also, anyone taking Xanax? I know I only take a pinch of it, but when I take it during the night, like last night, it seems like I'm sleeping but not and I have alot of dreams. I hate when I'm feeling anxious. Can't sleep right and I just feel like I'm going to have a panic attack. Thinking about seeing a psych who might be better at regulating my drugs. My gyne gave the Prozac to me and my internist gave me the Xanax. I don't take much Xanax, maybe I need to take it on a regular basis. Heard it's very addictive though. How about the two of you or anyone else on this board?

Old 06-05-2004, 01:29 PM   #4
    Stcy

Stcy HB User

I was on Celexa before - for 4 yrs - (Celexa is pretty much what Lexapro is - just new and improved - I guess) so my side effects havent been too bad. I was on 5mg for one week and had a little bit of nausea but thats really about all, I think. Three days ago I went on 10mg and I still have some of the nausea, an awful headache, and I just kinda feel spacey or something (like outta my body) - its hard to explain. I am hoping that feeling goes away. I do not know if its from the meds or just my anxiety - or maybe a little of both!

Old 06-05-2004, 01:33 PM   #5
    Stcy

Stcy HB User

ainfante - I have taken Xanax before and it worked for me but only for like a week. Basically it just put me to sleep. Now I am taking Klonopin - I take 1mg as needed. The anxiety meds are addictive but I have heard that you have to take them for awhile and take them alot in order for that to happen. In the mean time, taking a Klonopin is alot better than suffering a panic attack, that I know for sure.

Old 06-05-2004, 09:13 PM   #6
    tgrose
    (female)

tgrose HB User

Hi there. I've been on 10 mg of lex for about 3 months now, and at first, I had severe side effects. I had to drop down to 5 mg a day for about a week, and then after that I was fine. At first, it made me very hyper, and I would get these horrible hot flashes that felt like my skin was on fire. AFter I dropped the dosage and then went back up, everything was fine.

I have xanax for when I have a bad panic attack or when my stress is very high and I feel an attack coming on. But, the Lexapro has helped immensely and I've never felt better. During a very stressful week last month, my doc tried to up my lex to 15 mg a day, but I just can't go that high. Now the da#$ stuff makes me sleepy instead of hyper! But, I'm fine on 10.

Hope yours works for you.

t

ps. Some people report that they gain weight on Lexapro. I lost about 6 pounds the first couple of weeks, but I've leveled off since then and haven't gained any weight.

Old 06-05-2004, 09:47 PM   #7
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Well, my therapist and I decided to allow a psych to regulate my medicine instead of my gyne. Some of my anxiety attributes to the change of hormones in my body. That's rough in itself. You should see my skin, never had an acne problem when I was younger, but my skin looks horrible, breaking out around my nose. Unbelievable! I contribute the some other part of my anxiety to my brothers recent death and the other part is probably all the crap I've been through in life. LOL Anyways, it's so hard to know if my hot flashes are coming from anxiety or hot flash related to my hormones, or both. I'm 45, will be 46 in November and I'm definitely perimenopause. I had a car accident two years ago, major trauma in my adolescent and I'm just going to therapy to deal with menopause, the loss of my brother and other garbage that was in my life. Also, I still haven't gotten over the anxiety of the car accident I had two years ago. I have to get rid of that, cause can't travel very far in car unless I Xanax out, then of course I'm not driving. So maybe a little Post Traumatic STress, what do you think?

Andrea

Old 06-06-2004, 12:24 PM   #8
    Stcy

Stcy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ainfante
    So maybe a little Post Traumatic STress, what do you think?

Andrea
    I would say without doubt that you probably have a little PTSD because of all you have been through. My dr diagnosed me with that also .... i was in a bad car accident where someone was killed. So .. I have been diagnosed with PTSD, Depression, and Anxiety.

Old 06-06-2004, 12:44 PM   #9
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stcy
    I would say without doubt that you probably have a little PTSD because of all you have been through. My dr diagnosed me with that also .... i was in a bad car accident where someone was killed. So .. I have been diagnosed with PTSD, Depression, and Anxiety.

Oh wow. How are you doing now? So then you know about the trembles? I am still trembling almost 3 months later. My muscle twitch and my muscles tremble upon exertion. Maybe it's not something I'm letting go of. I seem to be more relaxed off the 10mg. of Prozac. And I know it takes up to 6 weeks to work, I mean really work. So u saw a psych? Is that the one who diagnosed the PTSD?

Andrea

Old 06-06-2004, 12:45 PM   #10
    indee93

indee93 HB User

I was given a prescription for Paxil but in talking with my mother, she suggests Lexapro which is what she is taking. I am considering having my dr put me on Lexapro simply because of the horror stories I have heard about Paxil. I dont want to gain alot of weight...and that is the biggest worry for me if I start Paxil. I think I am going to take my mother's advice and go with Lexapro.......Would anyone agree?

Thanks

Old 06-06-2004, 12:49 PM   #11
    Stcy

Stcy HB User

Andrea
    yes i saw a psych dr and he is the one who diagnosed me with all that ... that was actually back in 2000 ... i started Celexa 20mg ... after 4 years of being on that i decided to go off it cause i was doing really good. well i guess my body disagreed because i had a break down and now i am starting off on Lexapro and am up to 10mg now. as far as the PTSD goes meds are needed i believe but i also think therapy helps. i didnt have any therapy for 2 years cause i didnt want to talk about it ... but then when i finally did it really helped. hope im helping?!?!?!?!

Old 06-06-2004, 12:54 PM   #12
    Stcy

Stcy HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Lexapro pals

Quote:
    Originally Posted by indee93
    I was given a prescription for Paxil but in talking with my mother, she suggests Lexapro which is what she is taking. I am considering having my dr put me on Lexapro simply because of the horror stories I have heard about Paxil. I dont want to gain alot of weight...and that is the biggest worry for me if I start Paxil. I think I am going to take my mother's advice and go with Lexapro.......Would anyone agree?

Thanks
    INDEE - My dr would not put me on paxil because she said it has too many side effects so she started me on Lexapro -- its been pretty good so far. If you would feel better starting off on something other than Paxil I would definitly talk to your dr ... it will make the process alot easier. I have heard that Lexapro is a well tolerated drug .. much better than paxil (as far as side effects) -- but again, we are all different. Good luck! And please keep in touch!!!

Old 06-06-2004, 01:13 PM   #13
    indee93

indee93 HB User

That makes me feel so much better. All day saturday I fretted over what Paxil could do for me so I think I will call my dr tomorrow and let her know that I want Lexapro....

I will let you know what happens

Old 06-06-2004, 01:46 PM   #14
    Stcy

Stcy HB User
    Talking Re: Lexapro pals

Quote:
    Originally Posted by indee93
    That makes me feel so much better. All day saturday I fretted over what Paxil could do for me so I think I will call my dr tomorrow and let her know that I want Lexapro....

I will let you know what happens
    Remember, all meds work different for different people. Your dr should know what is best for you, so also keep that in mind. Whichever med you go with I wish you the best of luck. Keep in touch!

Old 06-06-2004, 02:00 PM   #15
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stcy
    Andrea
    yes i saw a psych dr and he is the one who diagnosed me with all that ... that was actually back in 2000 ... i started Celexa 20mg ... after 4 years of being on that i decided to go off it cause i was doing really good. well i guess my body disagreed because i had a break down and now i am starting off on Lexapro and am up to 10mg now. as far as the PTSD goes meds are needed i believe but i also think therapy helps. i didnt have any therapy for 2 years cause i didnt want to talk about it ... but then when i finally did it really helped. hope im helping?!?!?!?!
    I waited two years too after my accident. But when my brother died in Feb. I decided to go. I feel really great doing this. It's good to talk. So why did u have another breakdown? What exactly is a breakdown and the symptoms?

Andrea

Closed Thread