It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Leaving Your Home town!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-04-2004, 07:40 AM   #1
    jay20_music

jay20_music HB User
    Angry Leaving Your Home town!

I also meant to mention this. i am too scared to leave my home town because i fear if i had a panic attack whilst away from home i just wouldn't be able to cope. i cant stay anywhere other my home overnight. just the thought of being even an hour away scares me. I NEVER used to be like this i'd go WHERE EVER - WHEN EVER with who ever, and not worry one bit. What makes it worse is how everyone tells you you've changed and that you used to be up for anything and so active and social etc...and now i never do anything or go anywhere. i just want my old life back!!!!! and to start living again. i fear i will never be the same again. i'm so unhappy!

Can any one tell me how to conquer and overcome this?

PLEASE!!!

Jamie

Last edited by jay20_music; 10-08-2004 at 06:01 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2004, 01:36 PM   #2
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    Re: Leaving Your Home town!

to jay
    your problem is quite common but panic attacks can and should be coped with where ever you are and theres no need to return home
    a good way is to always carry a few valium type tablets with you and disolve 1 under the tongue at the start of a panic attack, relax and dont fight back, breathe deep and slow and wait a while, you will be OK again

get some books on overcoming agoraphobia and panic disorder and learn from them

panic attacks shouldnt be feared, they are unpleasant but cant harm you, many worse things than a panic attack can happen to a person

Old 10-04-2004, 03:20 PM   #3
    heike65

heike65 HB User

I was on a flight from Hong Kong to San Francisco (14 hours) and halfway through the flight, panic struck. I thought I was having a heart attack because I got these strange chest pains that didn't feel like anything I had felt before. That really freaked me out, knowing that while traveling over the Pacific there aren't any airports to make an emergency landing. I took a Xanax and told myself that if I was going to die, there was nothing I could do about it 36,000 feet in the air. Eventually I fell asleep. Panic also struck when I was in Bali, in the pool. Suddenly there was a strange, sharp pain in my throat and it started to close up and I couldn't swallow, which led me to believe my body was shutting down and I was going to die. The hotel arranged a doctor be sent to my room and he gave me 2mg Stesolid (like Xanax). I finally got myself to relax after a few hours. I've also had panic happen on the plane from Seattle to Orlando; another time in the Atlanta airport-- I almost didn't get on the flight for fear that I would have a heart attack and die onboard; another on a plane leaving Minneapolis; yet another time on my way to the airport when I was going to Puerto Rico-- that time I turned the car around and went to the ER with dizziness/headpain because I thought for sure I had a brain tumor. That time I ended up cancelling my trip. I'm not a nervous flyer and fly quite often, so I don't believe it has to do with fear of flying. I think it is fear that panic will strike and I won't be able to get help. I have tried not to let anxiety ruin my trips, but I always get very worried that I will have a panic attack while traveling abroad. I have to remind myself of all the times I thought I was going to die somewhere away from home, it ended up being nothing serious and I'm still alive. I carry Xanax with me and take them as needed. If you can drink alcohol, for some people sometimes 1/2 of a beer or small shot of whisky will help relax your nerves. Just don't go overboard with the alcohol as that can make anxiety worse. And obviously, don't mix with any medications. Good luck. Try not to let it stop you from traveling.

Old 10-04-2004, 05:27 PM   #4
    twanger
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twanger HB User

I get like this when I go on trips. I don't feel secure traveling but I do anyway. I haven't taken anything for the panic yet but I can understand why others do. These feelings can ruin a vacation.

Old 10-08-2004, 06:02 AM   #5
    jay20_music

jay20_music HB User

can anyone else help with how best to deal with this??

Old 10-08-2004, 07:57 PM   #6
    weight39

weight39 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jay20_music
    I also meant to mention this. i am too scared to leave my home town because i fear if i had a panic attack whilst away from home i just wouldn't be able to cope. i cant stay anywhere other my home overnight. just the thought of being even an hour away scares me. I NEVER used to be like this i'd go WHERE EVER - WHEN EVER with who ever, and not worry one bit. What makes it worse is how everyone tells you you've changed and that you used to be up for anything and so active and social etc...and now i never do anything or go anywhere. i just want my old life back!!!!! and to start living again. i fear i will never be the same again. i'm so unhappy!

PLEASE!!!

Jamie
    I'm confused. My first assumption was that you're afraid to move away. If this is the case, try to find a roomate. If others are around, I tend not worry as much.

After reading the replies and re-reading your initial post, I thought, perhaps, your simply afraid to go out. If this is the case, don't let your fear hold you back. Go out and have fun. Or, at least try.

Last edited by weight39; 10-08-2004 at 07:58 PM.

Old 10-09-2004, 06:40 PM   #7
    cpayne

cpayne HB User

According to my shrink I have every anxiety disorder out there, And of course I am on a number of meds because i also have severe migrane headaches. Caused by a number of things from stress to having a twisted vertabret. I also have a optical nerve diese which has caused me to be completely blind in my right eye since birth. Recently I inherited a $400,000.00 estate because my grandmother not only raised me, but she knew without her help I would not be able to get the medical attention I need. But things did not work out the way she intended and my intire family sued me. So knowing how sick I was they did every thing they could to literally drive me crazy, so I finally gave them what they wanted and I was left with literally the cloths on my back. I had to get away from them so my husband brought me to live in the town where his family lives, they are all good to me but I just can't deal with life anymore I have literally no friends no family (other then my husbands) And I am still afraid to leave my house b/c my panic attacks are so bad. I never thought my life would turn out like this I was always going and doing and other then my headaches I was strong and could deal with anything Now I can't even go to the post office without feeling like I am going to have a heart attack. The doctors are trying everything they can think of but so far Nothing has helped and they have had me on some hard core meds.

Old 12-19-2004, 01:13 PM   #8
    kyman
    (male)

kyman HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jay20_music

PLEASE!!!

Jamie
    I have this problem too. I'm nearly agoraphobic. I make myself go to work everyday but hardly go anywhere else. I have this problem every few years and it can last a few months.

Old 12-20-2004, 10:42 AM   #9
    gottajam

gottajam HB User

did you get this way from partying i mean do you drink alot or smoke ?

Old 12-20-2004, 08:19 PM   #10
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User

I use to go anywhere without a problem to, hong kong, barcelona etc. Now going to the town less than 30 minutes away calls for intense head talking and my xanax to get me there. You have to do whatever works for you so tring several methods is the best thing. Me, I take the xanax before leaving on the trip and when I leave to come back, my problem is getting there, once there I am basically ok, then getting back is the same as going for me. Being on the freeway I almost need to be knocked out. Xanax has helped me out on that enough that I do leave town once in awhile!

Closed Thread