It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Ativan

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-17-2004, 07:32 AM   #1
    Ryan1982

Ryan1982 HB User
    Ativan

Has anyone taken Ativan and how has it worked for you?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2004, 11:04 AM   #2
    jeffster
    (male)

jeffster HB User
    Re: Ativan

Yes and yes. However, if you find you're taking it on a very regular basis, an antidepressant might be a better option since ativan is so addictive. I'm on effexor XR now but I still take the occasional ativan.

Jeff

Old 11-17-2004, 01:21 PM   #3
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

ativan is a useful valium type med, if used sensibly its not addictive, anxiety sufferers seldom have addictive type personalities

Old 11-17-2004, 01:24 PM   #4
    dizzyone
    (female)

dizzyone HB User

I have been taking Ativan for occasional anxiety and I find it works great. I was worried about driving and about feeling weird but nothing feels different just the anxiety seems gone. I,ve heard it,s addictive so I try not to use it to often. Sandra

Old 11-17-2004, 02:30 PM   #5
    Ryan1982

Ryan1982 HB User

Thanks for the replies guys!

Yeah I was kind of worried about feeling weird and whatnot on ativan....I also kind of have some weird phobia about taking meds (long story) so I've been kind of scared to try it although I'm feeling that I desparetely need it. Anyways good to know that it works for you guys and hopefully it will for me!

Ryan

Old 11-17-2004, 04:16 PM   #6
    jeffster
    (male)

jeffster HB User

As I heard one doctor say: Therapy works for some people, Antidepressants work for more people, valium type meds work for ALL people.

Jeff

Old 11-17-2004, 04:48 PM   #7
    dragonballwizard
    Veteran
    (female)

dragonballwizard HB User

I also take ativan (genaric type) on an as needed basis. I don't take it that often. I am greatful for that. It works great when I need to take it I have to say.
    Take care
    DBW

Last edited by dragonballwizard; 11-17-2004 at 04:49 PM.

Old 11-17-2004, 09:21 PM   #8
    missmokay
    (female)

missmokay HB User

I used to take Ativan/Lorazepam on an as-needed basis and it helps and it is a very nice little drug. However, my psychiatrist insisted I switch to clonazepam because it lasts longer and, in fact, the effects last into the next day. I noticed with ativan, I would get very depressed the day after I took it, but with clonazepam (Klonopin), I am fine.

Old 01-15-2005, 05:48 AM   #9
    Newbie56
    (female)

Newbie56 HB User

This is my first time here. I see that most posters are young. I'm a 56 yr. old female. Read this affects the young more than older adults. This is not fun!!! About 3 months ago, my heart started racing out of control. In fact, in Nov. Dr. sent me to ER in ambulance because my in office EKG had changed since I had my physical in July. My heartrate was 120 in the office. She would not let my husband drive me. In July, I had echocardiogram stress test, in which I got my heart rate up to 100%. In the ER, had another regular stress test, fine, along with chest xray, another EKG, etc. In fact, when I was in the ambulance, I was stress free. Guess because I knew someone was there to help me. Dr. put me on Lexapro in July. After taking two pills, had a burning sensation across my chest. Then tried a different med. and same thing. So I can't take antidepressants.
    Dr. put me on Ativan .5 twice a day. Slowed down my heart rate but I still wasn't "normal". Read that anyone over 50 should not take more that 2 mmg. a day. Well, at 3 Ativans a day, I'll only be at 1.5. Thursday, went back to Dr. gave me Buspar. Starting out with 1/2 pill 2xs a day for 7 days. Took one yesterday mornig. In 3 hrs., my heart rate was up to 98. Had to walk around the house to try and bring it down. Could not go to work. Called Dr. Said to take Ativan with it. And take the Ativan 3 x a day along with the Buspar. I'm am scared to do the Buspar again. Pharmistist said Ativar is a "maintenance" med. and here I'm on it 3 x a day. Dr. said anxiety is a hormone imbalance. I am not going to let this take hold of me anymore. I'm to the point where I don't want to go anyplace because I don't know how I will feel. I keep telling my friends "no" to lunch. AND, my friend and I have an 8 day cruise next month and I have to get over this crap. Made these reservations in June. And I'm going!!!!!
    Added note: I have NO apetite and am losing weight. Also, when my mind is busy, I feel better. But I've been staying in our computer room all day and not sleeping in bed. I can make myself feel better with my thoughts. My cousin has anxiety, I just found out, but takes Ativan only when needed. When I didn't take it yesterday morning with the Buspar, I then realized that I really have it bad with the heart racing so high.

Last edited by Newbie56; 01-15-2005 at 06:11 AM.

Closed Thread