It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• does anyone with anxiety also have high blood pressure

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-24-2004, 03:05 PM   #1
    usmc75
    (male)

usmc75 HB User
    does anyone with anxiety also have high blood pressure

Not only do i have anxiety and panic attacks, now i have to deal with high blood pressure. i went to see my dr today just for a follow up. lately everything has been a little better with my anxiety and panic attacks. in the past few months, there have only been mild symptoms. i actually thought that maybe i was finally getting better. then when the nurse checked my bp, it was 140/96. i am not very familiar with bp readings but my dr said that was high. so now my anxiety has come back in one afternoon. i keep telling myself that it must not have been too high because the dr didn't give me any meds, but of course i can only think the worst; heart attack, stroke, death, you know all the things that people with anxiety think about constantly.
    i was just wondering if any of you have problems with high bp along with your anxiety and if so how bad is 140/96?

thanks i hope that everyone has a HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2004, 10:39 PM   #2
    ThrowThemBonez
    (male)

ThrowThemBonez HB User
    Re: does anyone with anxiety also have high blood pressure

I know its possible for your BP to Raise or Lower depending on your anxiety, if your worried about it, go out and get your own Monitor, and check it at a time were your not feeling so stressed, Seeing as Doctors can bring on a alot of tension And can cause your Blood Pressure to Rise.

Old 11-25-2004, 07:02 AM   #3
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

many anxiety sufferers have BP that goes up a lot when they are stressed, high BP readinbgs at the doctors due to anxiety or stress are common and expected by docs

the best BP meds for anxiety sufferers are the beta blocker type, these are the only ones that also calm your body, sadly docs dont always think of this

Old 11-25-2004, 07:53 AM   #4
    worrywort78
    (female)

worrywort78 HB User
    Wink Re: does anyone with anxiety also have high blood pressure

Quote:
    Originally Posted by usmc75
    Not only do i have anxiety and panic attacks, now i have to deal with high blood pressure. i went to see my dr today just for a follow up. lately everything has been a little better with my anxiety and panic attacks. in the past few months, there have only been mild symptoms. i actually thought that maybe i was finally getting better. then when the nurse checked my bp, it was 140/96. i am not very familiar with bp readings but my dr said that was high. so now my anxiety has come back in one afternoon. i keep telling myself that it must not have been too high because the dr didn't give me any meds, but of course i can only think the worst; heart attack, stroke, death, you know all the things that people with anxiety think about constantly.
    i was just wondering if any of you have problems with high bp along with your anxiety and if so how bad is 140/96?

thanks i hope that everyone has a HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!!

oh my goodness!!!! you sound JUST LIKE ME!! i take 75mg. of effexor (antidepressant) a day, for anxiety and panic attacks. recently i have had high readings when i go to the dr. and get my bp checked. im only 26, and do not have a bp problem, but due to my anxiety, it does go up whenever i have it checked. trust me, i have had 140/96 before. it always goes down after i just sit and relax a bit and then check again. it usually goes down to around 120/78 or so. the dr. seems to think it's just because i am anxious. they also call it "white-coat hypertension" i, unfortunately have almost become "obsessed" with ttaking my bp whenever i am out at a drugstore, or supermarket. i was so worried when it was a little high at the dr.'s office those couple of times- that i feel like i always have to check now, because i want to make sure it isn't too high. i guess that's almost ocd! don't worry- you are probably fine. nice to know i am not the only one going through this!

Old 11-25-2004, 11:06 AM   #5
    junglemonkey
    Veteran
    (female)

junglemonkey HB User

We measured our heart rates and BP's in school. My teacher said mine was really quite high. I'm only 17 :-(

Old 11-25-2004, 02:19 PM   #6
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User

Well the BP monitors are only about $50 at Wal mart. My BP does go up when stressed but so does anyone`s. Now you want to get into some good OCD, get one of those home BP kits. It does pulse also so I can obsess about that too. 140/96 is high but far from dangerous. No need to get concerned unless you get up in the 180/90 range or higher. However, you do not want BP like you havae constantly. But it probably was situational. It was said on this board once, "the heart works better unmonitored." Words of wisdom...

Old 11-25-2004, 07:34 PM   #7
    usmc75
    (male)

usmc75 HB User

thanks to everyone who responded. i feel a little better about my bp now. but the bad thing is that now that i have had one high bp reading, that is all i can think about. it is driving me crazy. i never thought that i had ocd but i am constantly monitoring myself to see how well i feel. i know that if i would just forget about the way my body feels, i would probably feel so much better. it is just not that easy though; i try.

thanks again to everyone

chad

Closed Thread