It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Anyone with experiences on Lexapro? Lexapro vs. Paxil?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-17-2005, 10:42 AM   #1
    Jugi
    (female)

Jugi HB User
    Arrow Anyone with experiences on Lexapro? Lexapro vs. Paxil?

I'm just wondering if anyone can share their experiences using Lexapro. Has anyone found it to be effective for anxiety, especially GAD? What about side effects? Initial side effects? Long-term? And expecially, sexual side effects?

And has anyone who has used Laxapro also used Paxil? How do you think they compare? Did you switch directly from one to the other, or taper off and wait before starting the new one?

I've been on Paxil before, and it worked great for me with the only side effect being the sexual side effects, which is why I stopped. Now I'm just starting back up, but I'm wondering about whether Lexapro is less prone to the sexual side effects, and whether it might be less prone to making me sleepy, which Paxil seems to be doing to me this time around. (And I think the sexual side effects are back.)

Any thoughts/comments are appreciated!

Jamie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2005, 11:50 AM   #2
    angeluv73
    (female)

angeluv73 HB User
    Re: Anyone with experiences on Lexapro? Lexapro vs. Paxil?

Ok well here is my experience. Its been a while since I was on paxil but i dont remember it helping me at all. Then they switched me to prozac and it helped for a while but they had to keep upping the dose and as they did I got a very angry personality. Both those I took for depression about 4 yrs ago. I got tired of feeling like a guinea pig, feeling like no one really knew what to do and it was kinda like, "well lets try this one and see what happens" But in the last yr I was having more and more issues with anxiety and eventually I could hardly do anything cause I was so scared there would be a bad outcome. I wouldnt let my daughter go with others cause I was afraid they would get into a car crash or loose her, etc. I would lay up at night, couldnt sleep cause morbid thoughts keep running through my head. What if someone breaks into the house, what if theres a fire, what if someone is killing my parents right now, what if my brother gets into a car crash,,,etc. Completely irrational. The doc put me on Lexapro for my anxiety and I saw a difference. Ive been on it for about 6 months now and I really like it. I can sleep at night and my mood is better. As for sexual side effects-I dont know ,Im currently single. Hope this helps!

Old 01-17-2005, 01:27 PM   #3
    americandancer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

americandancer HB User

Angeluv, have you gained weight from the lexapro or had increased appetite?

Old 01-17-2005, 07:35 PM   #4
    CyberNick
    Veteran
    (male)

CyberNick HB User

A common side effect it seems of pretty much every Antidepressant/Anti-anxiety med is sexual side effects. I was on Lexapro for three months about a year ago, and it did nothing for me so I just stopped taking it. I didn't even have withdrawals or anything, it was as if I had never even taken it.

I then went about a year without any meds at all except Klonopin, because I lost faith in SSRI's after taking Lexapro. I finally couldn't take it anymore and was prescribed Paxil by my doctor. I've been on it almost 8 weeks, and it has dramatically improved my Social Anxiety and my overall mood. I hardly ever think about being anxious anymore. I don't feel lightheaded in social situations anymore. I don't dread meeting new people or being in a classroom full of people. I don't look at the floor anymore when I talk to people. I don't get heart palpitations hardly ever, and I'm just more confident and happier in general

The only sexual side effect of Paxil for me seems to be that it makes me last much longer (from about 5-10 minutes to 20-30 minutes). It usually is great since it's obviously a much better experience the longer you can go, but sometimes it seems that I just am not in the mood when I used to be ready to go 24/7 (like the usual 21 year old guy, I assume ). I still have a huge sex drive though, so everything seems to be fine.

Sorry the post was so long, kind of ranted a bit . Best of luck w/ the Paxil.

Old 01-18-2005, 11:26 AM   #5
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

lexapro and paxil are both SSRI type antidepressants, everyone reacts differently to these meds and their side effects cant be predicted

Old 01-18-2005, 03:16 PM   #6
    vuitton
    (female)

vuitton HB User

I'm on lexapro for GAD, its been about two years that I have been taking it. I love it! What a huge difference in my anxiety level.
    As for weight gain , yes some. But not as bad, as I hear Paxil is. In the past I have tried Prozac and Zoloft. I prefer Lexapro by far. Really no sexual side effects for me...
    Just some added hunger, which is a drag ...but better than extreme anxiety.

Old 01-18-2005, 03:23 PM   #7
    muralsaz
    (female)

muralsaz HB User

Lexapro is 10 x's better than Paxil for me...but it doesnt help that I'm w/o a pX right now...erf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    If I just breathe, every little thing will be alright *M Branch
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-18-2005, 06:22 PM   #8
    tareyna
    (female)

tareyna HB User

Hi I've been on Lexapro for two years and it helped me with my anxiety and depression. I realy didn't have any side effects except for weight gain and lack of sex apatite realy sucks cause I consider myself on a normal bases to have a pretty healthy apatite with my husband and im sure it sucks for him just the same...This has caused my depression to come back. I've tryed to wing myself off the Lexapro with the help of my doctor, but no such luck dose anyone have any sugestion? I want to be drug free.............. THANKS

Old 01-19-2005, 12:05 AM   #9
    mumpy

mumpy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jugi
    I'm just wondering if anyone can share their experiences using Lexapro. Has anyone found it to be effective for anxiety, especially GAD? What about side effects? Initial side effects? Long-term? And expecially, sexual side effects?

And has anyone who has used Laxapro also used Paxil? How do you think they compare? Did you switch directly from one to the other, or taper off and wait before starting the new one?

I've been on Paxil before, and it worked great for me with the only side effect being the sexual side effects, which is why I stopped. Now I'm just starting back up, but I'm wondering about whether Lexapro is less prone to the sexual side effects, and whether it might be less prone to making me sleepy, which Paxil seems to be doing to me this time around. (And I think the sexual side effects are back.)

Any thoughts/comments are appreciated!

Jamie
    Hi, I used to take Paxil and then went onto Zoloft and just now switched to Lexapro.
    I found Paxil to be amazing for my phobias and anxiety but the zero sex drive was a big problem.
    I have heard that Lexapro as the newest of the SRRIs has far less side-effects than the other meds. It's only been 10 days but I think that with the exception of being more tired - I'm doing well so far.
    Love Sarah

Closed Thread