It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Derealization

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-22-2005, 04:46 PM   #1
    turt_the_turtle
    (male)

turt_the_turtle HB User
    Derealization

DR is that feeling of spacey, foggy, out-of-it sensation. Its the feeling that makes you think you might be losing your mind. It causes anxiety, nausea and headaches. It might make you view situations differently, as if your seeing the truth (or clearity) for the first time and it overwhelms you. Then you think about why you havent seen things like this before (if you tried halucinegenics youve probobly seen things this way before). Now you start to think "whats wrong with me" mentaly or phisicaly. PANIC ATTACK sometimes comes on at this point. Its a strange feeling and its hard to describe. It can come on in alot of different ways. How you view yourself, how you interpret other people, the way you view TV, music, movies or nature. Its a symptom of anxiety which is a symptom of Thyroid disorders (I am hypo). After a while you learn to deal with it (kinda). One thing i have been noticing is that I have been linking it to depression. It is healthy to induce depression for self realization by listening to the blues, reading a book, watching a movie, TV, etc. It helps one achieve a state of mind to view things in an objective manner or in other shoes. BUT when you have anxiety or a long term illness you already have plenty of "blues". So these additional depressants, like for example, listening to a Pink Floyd (blues) record, might amplify the derealization. The main thing is to learn to deal with it. It may be a challenge but so what; it will give you something to overcome. If you think you get these feelings feel free to write a response. I used to get this way ALLOT wich lead to Panic attacks. It sucks but try to have fun with it. Its only as bad as you think it is!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2005, 08:59 PM   #2
    islandkate
    (female)

islandkate HB User
    Re: Derealization

Scared to answer on this post....have to think about it awhile

Old 01-23-2005, 12:48 PM   #3
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

spaciness can be from derealisation or lightheadedness

in general its best to not do too much thinking or worrying about stress or anxiety problems

Old 01-24-2005, 01:01 PM   #4
    MKLowTone

MKLowTone HB User

Yeah keeping busy can help with that as well, though it's easier said than done

Old 01-24-2005, 09:08 PM   #5
    Warren_G
    Inactive
    (male)

Warren_G HB User

i have derealization and i know its hard to describe, i've had it for a year now and im sooooo sick of it, its really gets me down. My vision is blurry and as if my mind has a messed up perception of thing and everything looks dull. I got derealization i believe after i smoked pot, i got it a week later, this past year i have learned alot about myself and my life and this last year has sucked the life out of me i feel hopeless, broken especially at night when the derealization gets worst. I hate the symptoms, its like i know im not depressed or anything but how can anyone be happy with derealization affecting there lives, Im 17 yrs old now and i sure hope this goes away because i dont want to live like this for the rest of my life. This really blows

Old 01-24-2005, 09:11 PM   #6
    Warren_G
    Inactive
    (male)

Warren_G HB User

i also have a thyroid disorder and i was put on unithroid and synthroid for it

Old 06-07-2005, 11:05 AM   #7
    yenialainey

yenialainey HB User

I have felt derealization for about 4 days now and its freaking me out. I'm 15 and life scares me now and every time I think about it I cry. All I do is watch TV, cry and worry. When I think about things they feel so unreal like they don't make sense as to why they're here. I also am scared of gettingt older and change, is this caused by anxiety also? I'll feel perfectly fine one second then the next I'm scared to death. I am taking 100mg of Zoloft but I don't think its helping. My dad tells me its just an anxiety spell and it will pass. He also said I should go to the doctor and get Xanax to help me. I don't know what to do, can you help me? Thanks.

Old 06-11-2005, 10:55 PM   #8
    TechEd

TechEd HB User

You should ask your doctor for Ativan or Xanax for emergencies until you get to your final Zoloft dosage. Zoloft should prevent what you're experiencing now, and you won't take any Ativan or Xanax.

You must be speaking with your doctor at least every 10 days to discuss how you're feeling and whether you need to increase the dosage, so why not tell him you'd like some immediate relief. Also tell him your symptoms, of course.

Old 06-12-2005, 12:28 AM   #9
    SadFreek
    Veteran
    (male)

SadFreek HB User

I have derealization as well. I have learned to deal with it. When it first happened it caused many-a-panic-attacks. Now its just annoying and slightly scary.

I read something that made me feel a bit better...its not just affecting me and only me, and it is nothing new. the first RECORDED case was in 1898.

Closed Thread