It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• effexor-info/advice please?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-23-2005, 09:05 AM   #1
    lisam612
    (female)

lisam612 HB User
    effexor-info/advice please?

Hey i am new to this forum so first id like to say hello to everyone. i was hoping that someone here could help me out a lil. I was just prescribed to effexor xr for my anxiety. i was also given xanax to help me get through the first two weeks b4 the effexor kicks in. i am alil confused b/c effexor is also used for depression but i only have complaints of anxiety. is this normal?? But ive heard horror sories as well as life saving stories of the drug. i know everyone is different so im going to give it a try. my only concern is this. i am trying to lose weight, i am 22 years old and have put on about 15 pounds from emotional over eating and was curious as to if anyone has has weight gain or loss on this drug? my doctor said it is a weight "nuetralizer" so i shouldnt gain- but im desperately trying to lose... will this interfere??? i know alot of my axiety and depression comes from being a lil overweight so ... im confused can any share some advice/stories??? thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2005, 06:55 PM   #2
    tnnei1
    (female)

tnnei1 HB User
    Re: effexor-info/advice please?

Hi Lisa

My name is Tania, and I was prescribed Efexor-XR for depression about a year ago. You are right in that Efexor-XR is used to treat both depression and anxiety.

I have suffered no weight gain from the drug and I have been on it for about a year.

When I started reducing my dose to come off the drug, as reccomended by my doctor, I suffered withdrawals in the form of anxiety and panic attacks. My doctor recommended that I come off the drug more gradully by opening my capsules and knocking out half the contents and taking that. This was to come off the drug slower as there is not many different strength capsules available. This has helped me come off the drug easier. I have been prescribed xanax for the panic attacks.

So I would warn you that I did experience withdrawals when coming off the drug but by taping my dose really gradually this has helped heaps. I have had fantastic results with the drug treating my depression, so I hope you have good results also with the drug combating your anxiety.

(Unfortunately I have experienced some side effects the whole time I have taken the drug. These are; quite bad headaches and loss of sex drive. However I have had such a good response with the drug for my depression that I decided to tough it through the side effects)

Good Luck!

Old 01-23-2005, 07:01 PM   #3
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lisam612
    Hey i am new to this forum so first id like to say hello to everyone. i was hoping that someone here could help me out a lil. I was just prescribed to effexor xr for my anxiety. i was also given xanax to help me get through the first two weeks b4 the effexor kicks in. i am alil confused b/c effexor is also used for depression but i only have complaints of anxiety. is this normal?? But ive heard horror sories as well as life saving stories of the drug. i know everyone is different so im going to give it a try. my only concern is this. i am trying to lose weight, i am 22 years old and have put on about 15 pounds from emotional over eating and was curious as to if anyone has has weight gain or loss on this drug? my doctor said it is a weight "nuetralizer" so i shouldnt gain- but im desperately trying to lose... will this interfere??? i know alot of my axiety and depression comes from being a lil overweight so ... im confused can any share some advice/stories??? thanks
    I take Effexor and have found it to suppress my appetite. There is an anti-anxiety agent within the medication to alleviate anxiety that is caused by stress chemicals in your body. I have been on various doses of Effexor for 5 years with a minimum dose at this time of .37mgs , 2Xper day. This works great for me to maintain balance and perspective.

Old 01-23-2005, 08:05 PM   #4
    islandkate
    (female)

islandkate HB User

Quite alot of doctors prescribe antidepessants for anxiety/panic attack disorders.
    I was tried on paxil and effexor but had bad side affects which made me even more anxious. The docs were trying to get me off xanax which I believe to be the lesser of all med. evils.
    Xanax is mild, no side affecyes and works instantly for a panic attack. No antidepressants for me thanx!! : )

Old 02-05-2005, 11:33 AM   #5
    loopyturtle
    (female)

loopyturtle HB User

I was once prescribed Effexor, and also found it to suppress my appetite, as well. Maybe it will help you with the extra lbs. At best, it isn't known to be one of the common ones to increase the appetite.

Good luck.

Closed Thread