It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Zoloft

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-08-2005, 02:28 PM   #1
    Destiny81583
    Inactive
    (female)

Destiny81583 HB User
    Zoloft

Hey everyone. I went to the doctor today, and she switched me from Lexapro to Zoloft. Want some info on zoloft....anything would be helpful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2005, 04:18 PM   #2
    Timber
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User
    Re: Zoloft

What would you like to know, in specific?

Why did your doctor switch you?

Zoloft is in the class of drugs called SSRIs, just like Lexapro is. They have similar side effects.

Old 02-08-2005, 08:32 PM   #3
    americandancer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

americandancer HB User

Destiny, I was on lexapro for a short time...didn't give it long enough. I was worried about the weight gain issue with it. I do know it did seem to calm me, so I wish I had stayed with it. I am now on 100mg zoloft for about 2weeks. I am trying to tough it out, but it does not calm me at all and I have terrible "jaw clenching". I don't have panic attacks (as of yet) so it's working there, but I do know the zoloft gives me headaches also. I am just going to try and wait it out. I have been on zoloft before and didn't like it, but I know others who swear by it. Let me know how you are doing. I am giving it hope, but I just don't know...Why did you switch from lexapro?
    Kelly

Old 02-09-2005, 11:20 AM   #4
    Destiny81583
    Inactive
    (female)

Destiny81583 HB User

I was switched from lexapro to zoloft because of the weight gain on lexapro...i gained 22lbs since august.

Old 02-09-2005, 12:35 PM   #5
    son1981
    (male)

son1981 HB User
    Exclamation Re: Zoloft

umm i dont understand this though with zoloft you have just a higher chance of gaining weight as lexapro! IN FACT lexapro and zoloft are suppose to be one of the more "decent" meds when it comes to weight gain paxil is the WORST I was told by my shrink the SSRI that has the lEAST amount of weight gain associated with it is PROZac which is why i switched from paxil to prozac so far so good.

Old 02-09-2005, 01:23 PM   #6
    Destiny81583
    Inactive
    (female)

Destiny81583 HB User

My doctor showed me a book with all the different meds...and one of the side effects listed for zoloft was weight loss.

Old 02-10-2005, 08:17 AM   #7
    kcgage
    Veteran
    (female)

kcgage HB User

I am on Zoloft and am not overly impressed with it. I don't find it helps with anxiety or depression very much and it has side effects (inability to orgasm, sweatiness, headache). I haven't noticed any weight gain.

Does anyone about Celexa vs. Effexor for weight gain?? Which is better if I do NOT want to gain weight?

Old 02-10-2005, 09:52 AM   #8
    GirlHarley
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GirlHarley HB User

I tooked Paxil for 6 months - gained 20 pounds - that was last year. I weaned myself off for a few months and had a hard time losing the weight

I was still having anxiety and tried hard to deal with it, finally went to the doctor's again in November and he gave me Zoloft. Tooked me a month to start taking it,(I started it in December) I was a nervous wreck so I don't know if it was my nerves or the zoloft but I have lost 15 pounds.

Went through some of the side effects that go along with Zoloft but I tooked
    Xanax too to help my body ease the zoloft into my body. I have noticed a big difference since being on Zoloft, no weight gain since losing the 15 pounds
    except sleeping - but again - I was also going through alot of stress, anxiety, and panic attacks.

Stay Positive, Excerise, Cut out all caffine and sugar - it's so true what they say if you do this - it really does help.

BE WELL

Old 02-10-2005, 10:29 AM   #9
    son1981
    (male)

son1981 HB User

zoloft effexor and celexa all have about the same chances of gaining weight on or loosing weight. A SIDE EFFECT OF LOOSING WEIGHT CAN OCCUR IN ANY DRUG does not matter what drug there are people out there that have taken paxil and lost weight but generally paxil is the WORST SSRI for weight gain and then luvox and zoloft and celexa are about the same and prozac is the BEST for weight gain it has even been uSED to treat bulemia and obesity in the past. Prozac doesnt give me that "AALways HUNGRY feeling" that paxil did. But zoloft and celexa would be my NEXT choice if prozac does not work out for me.

Old 02-10-2005, 11:18 AM   #10
    americandancer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

americandancer HB User

I have been on zoloft 100mg now for 2 weeks and I don't see that it is doing anything at all for my anxiety...in fact it seems much worse. I have to have the xanax during the day, where I didn't before. Does zoloft just kinda "kick in" after a while and all of a sudden you're doing better? I am determined to give it at least 6 weeks or so, but I just want to know there is hope of improvement.

Old 02-10-2005, 12:28 PM   #11
    GirlHarley
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GirlHarley HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by americandancer
    I have been on zoloft 100mg now for 2 weeks and I don't see that it is doing anything at all for my anxiety...in fact it seems much worse. I have to have the xanax during the day, where I didn't before. Does zoloft just kinda "kick in" after a while and all of a sudden you're doing better? I am determined to give it at least 6 weeks or so, but I just want to know there is hope of improvement.
    Yes Americandancer - There Is Hope, I felt the same way when I started on zoloft - I hope you didn't start off on 100mg? That is a high dose.
    I started at 50 for two weeks, 75 two weeks, then 100 - I started feeling better at week 4 with 75mg but knew 100 would be better, then after "1" week of 100 I felt alittle strange, some anxiety come back for just a week and then it dissappeared along with me popping Xanax every 4 hours (.25mg) or taking the naps -

Once I quit, caffine, sugar, starting excerising all at the same time of using zoloft at 100mg, what a difference it's made for me. I'm still having trouble sleeping thru the night but I know it will get better soon.

Hope this helps,
    Take Care...

Old 02-10-2005, 01:20 PM   #12
    americandancer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

americandancer HB User

GirlHarley, I did start on 100mg. Could that be why I feel this way? I see my dr. on the 24th, so I could ask for a lower dose, but maybe I will be less anxious by then. I am so glad you responded and let me know there is light at the end of the tunnel. I am working on the exercise part, and I am slowly giving up the caffine, but since it seems to really work for you, then I plan on no caffine and making myself get up early to walk on the treadmill before I go to work. Starting tomorrow!!!! I have seen this dr. for years and he has tried me on several different ads, so that is probally why he prescribed such a high dose. Thanks again!

Closed Thread