It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• New poster. Social anxiety and sweating.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-08-2005, 10:46 PM   #1
    milk
    (male)

milk HB User
    New poster. Social anxiety and sweating.

Hi, im a 24 year old male. I have been shy since I was small, but it developed into social anxiety in about grade 8. From grade 8 all the way through high school I was known as the kid who did not talk.

Looking back, I do not know how I got through high school except that I skipped all the time, and I still had childhood friends (people I had known for 10+ years) who I was comfortable being myself around. I was not a loser or have acne or weight issues, I did not have any real problems except what I thought was a severe case of shyness.

A few years ago when I started University I realized that I had and have a problem. I have basically just sucked it up and dealt with it for the most part, what else can you do?

However, the last few years of college, I have noticed another step up to panic attacks. Usually I would get uncomfortable in social situations, I would feel a bit nervous, you know what that is like, but the last few years it got to the point where I would just have to leave almost once or twice a week at least.

I would get a panic attack and my breathing would become laboured, I would get paranoid and in the last 2 years I would sweat a lot. I have always sweated quite a bit, but its getting crazy now. Im about 5'7 and 150 pounds.

Basically I have two anxiety problems. The first is that I think people are always judging me. This started in high school where its just normal for teengaers to go through this phase. I think I am starting to grow out of it, but it is still there. I can kind of have a handle on that problem since I have dealt with it for so long. The sweating is killing me though.

I basically start to sweat a bit, and then because of anxiety I cannot stop thinking about it and it just gets worse and worse because I cannot stop thinking about it, and I sweat more and more. It basically gets to the point where people know something is wrong because I will have sweat dripping off me when everyone else is sitting with lots of clothes on (picture Canada in the winter, I am from SK). I dress very light because of this problem, it is not a clothes issue.

So now everyone is kind of like, "why is this guy sweating?" And on top of that I now know objectively that people are judging me a bit, and then I get that nice social anxiety and then things get bad. Basically I usually just have to get up and leave. I miss a lot of classes, I miss appointments, I will get the nerve to go to the movies and freak out and have to go home, anxiety people know how this feels.

Laboured breathing, increase heart beat and shaking I can usually hide, but sweating not only makes me incredibly uncomfortable, but other people dont want to sit by a guy who is pouring sweat for no reason. It does not stop either. I have had to sit through seminar classes 2 1/2 hours long sweating the whole time, at the end I can literally ring out sweat from my clothes, they are so soaked through. This is my version of anxiety hell which I cannot take anymore. This is my version of anxiety that I think about constantly. I have to go through rituals preparing to go to a class, to go anywhere for that matter.

I carry extra clothes with me all the time now, and of course I use anti-persprint. I shower 2-3 times a day and shave my body hair and crew cut my head hair to try to rid myself of any extra body heat. I also actively exercise to try to just keep my body healthy (this does nothing for my anxiety, but I have exercised all my life just for general health).

I would like to hear anyone elses problems or solutions that pertain to anxiety and sweating. I have read through these boards and seen many people with common symptoms, but I have not found someone whos main trigger is sweating like mine. Can anyone relate? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2005, 11:24 PM   #2
    Summer24

Summer24 HB User
    Re: New poster. Social anxiety and sweating.

At least you're not a female with constant sweating! I have the same problem, but mainly with my hands. I have always been anxious in social situations, but have improved greatly in the past year. I was recently diagnosed with hyperhidrosis, a condition that only about 1% of the population has. It sounds like you have this too. I know how uncomfortable this can be and am sorry you have to deal with it. Truthfully, no one really notices the sweating and everyone is somewhat insecure in front of groups of people...just remember that. I know time and experience has improved my comfort level greatly. If I were you, I would see a doctor about the sweating thing, and if anxiety is a big issue, I would mention that too. I was put on aluminum chloride for my armpits, and now I hardly sweat. The drionic machine also helps for feet/hands but is time consuming to use. I heard that the medicine ditropan can help stop sweating too...I am still observing the effects but so far I think it has reduced. I hope your condition gets better and take care.

Old 02-09-2005, 11:05 AM   #3
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

Hi milk
    see a doc, severe sweating is common from anxiety, a beta blocker med from doc helps such as inderal. it calms the body, also lowers the blood pressure so this needs to be monitored
    you also need to learn to relax, an antidepressant med may also help relax you and reduce the panic attacks, paxil is being especially promoted for social anxiety.
    valium taken at the start of a panic attack helps a lot

wear clothes that breathe, try sucking air thru the cloth, avoid hot spicy foods or sauces, these make you sweat more

Last edited by ms_mod; 02-09-2005 at 11:10 AM.

Old 02-09-2005, 10:44 PM   #4
    milk
    (male)

milk HB User

Thanks for answers. I have heard about aluminum helping with sweating, but isnt taking a lot of aluminum into your body unhealthy? I am would give quite a lot to cut my sweating down, but im not a pro-pill/medication sort of person.

Old 02-10-2005, 10:20 PM   #5
    Rachelh1018
    (female)

Rachelh1018 HB User

Milk,

I am in the same boat you are in. All my life I thought I was just very shy, until over the past year things have gotten worse. I have basically just dealt with it like you have, but now... I can hardly function. I had to drop 3 of my 4 classes this semester from social anxiety attacks. I have to literally force myself to go to just that one class. Now where ever I go, I feel like I am naked and exposed. There is also nothing physically wrong with me either. Everyone thinks I'm very pretty, etc. I feel very uncomfortable when I walk, feeling basically like I'm naked. I start shaking, I break out in a cold sweat and I feel really hot on the inside of my body. My heart starts to race, and I feel really weak like I'm going to pass out. I am interning at a company that I am planning to have a career in. They want to start placing me on the phones. I also have a phobia of talking on the phone to strangers, or people I hardly know. It feels basically like I have to get up and make a speech, which I seriously would rather die than do that! I also deal with depression, which I have had all my life. That is under control, but I just started taking Buspirone yesterday to try to control the anxiety. It's hard to find a medicine that works. I hope this works!! I am going to lose my job if I can't get this under control. I just want to feel normal. All my life I thought I was just strange and shy...thinking that you can not do anything about it. It sucks that I had to suffer this long to finally realize what is wrong with me.

Old 02-13-2005, 05:37 AM   #6
    stan
    (male)

stan HB User

i have social anxiety to and my trigger around people is when i blush alot this makes things worse for me i also get excessive sweating and start to shake if im in a social situation at this point i start thinking what other people think about me then i feel like running away from it all ive takin prozac which did nothing for me really and propronolol which only works short term when u stop taking it the anxiety jumps back at you im doing cbt now to see if that works i hate going to social places i tried to avoid it if i can but if i cant i just put up with it but yeah i no what it feels like its a living hell

Closed Thread