It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Anxiety and Medication Sensitivity

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-11-2005, 02:25 PM   #1
    edjwild

edjwild HB User
    Anxiety and Medication Sensitivity

I'm very frustrated. I have had anxiety for the last six years. The first medicine they put me on was Paxil. Asfter 3 days on the lowest dose I passed out on the living room floor. They took me off the Paxil and put me on Stelazine(1-2 mg. per day) I have to admit the Stelazine worked like a miracle! I didn't think I even had any anxiety. Well, in December, I start getting anxiety symptoms(Poor sleep, anxious feelings,etc) In early January I called my Dr. who prescribed Buspar on an as needed basis> The Buspar had some effect, but after a week on it I had the worst "pounding heart" that I've ever experienced. It was so bad it kept me up half the night. Back to the Dr. who now decides to try Zyprexa.(She also gave me Valium for the "bad times") The Zyprexa was horrible. I felt like a a zombie the first day, and sick and anxious the next couple of days. I called the Dr. and told her I couldn't tolerate the Zyprexa. She told me to just take the Valium and call her on Monday. I called Monday and she prescribed Despiramine, 25 mg.! for a week, then 2 for a week, than 3 for a week. I took the 1 25mg. for a week and didn't have any problems, as soon as I went to the 2 25 mg. I almost passed out and felt absolutely terrible all day. I called the Dr. the next day and told her I could not tolerate this medicine either. She said she didn't know what other class of medicines to try and would refer me to a Psychiatrist, and to take the Valium in the meantime( The Valium doesn't make me sick). But she said staying on Valium wasn't a good long term solution. I hope I have better luck with the Psychiatrist. Any thoughts out there for medication sensitivity and Anxiety?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2005, 02:41 AM   #2
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    Re: Anxiety and Medication Sensitivity

to edjwild
    maybe you should get back on the stalazine, it and zyprexa are antipsychotics that do help some, the zyprexa dose may have been too high or maybe it just doesnt suit you
    buspar as needed wont help, it must be taken daily and doesnt help for about 10 days, its a different type of tranquilliser that seldom helps much

desioramine is a tricyclic antidepressant, paxil was a prozac type antidepressant, some anxiety sufferers are very sensitive to the early side effects of these meds, if you try another start with a very low dose for the first couple of weeks
    valium, taken sensibly, will help a lot but may sedate you at first, what dose do you take?
    I doubt the psych will be able to improve on your meds, but try to get some more valium, a reserve stash is very good to have
    you do need to learn CBT and how to relax and not just rely on meds

take either valium or stelazine, whichever helps you most

Old 02-12-2005, 02:47 PM   #3
    edjwild

edjwild HB User
    Re: Anxiety and Medication Sensitivity

I,m taking 3mg. 2x per day. The Dr. said I can take up to 12.mg per day, but I'm trying to stay as low as possible, and still get some relief. I have been taking the Stelazine all along, 1mg. per day. My Dr. said to continue taking it, not to stop it cold Turkey. I'm thinking of trying to take 2 mg. per day and see if the situation improves. In all honesty, I'm scared to death of a lot of these meds.

Closed Thread