It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Fear of Flying

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-21-2005, 09:18 AM   #1
    kiki315
    (female)

kiki315 HB User
    Fear of Flying

I recently booked a trip to Mexico and although I'm very excited, I'm petrified to fly. I've been having these weird dreams and I'm constantly thinking about flying. Everytime I think about it, I doubt going on my trip, and consider canceling. HELP!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2005, 12:00 PM   #2
    jamckit
    (female)

jamckit HB User
    Re: Fear of Flying

Have you ever flown before?

Old 02-21-2005, 01:18 PM   #3
    kiki315
    (female)

kiki315 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamckit
    Have you ever flown before?

not since I'm 4.. I'm 20 now. I don't really remember it though

Old 02-22-2005, 06:34 PM   #4
    rucnateb
    (female)

rucnateb HB User

hello...looks like we are in the same boat,I have to fly soon to but I dont have a choice I have to go see my mom.she is sick so I cant gt out of it. I am just like you terrified,I am having terrible anxiety and stressing over it I dont know what to do,but I guess I will just have to take a pill or something,tried getting some help on the net but the site I found charges you to speak toa captain,and the course is too expensive for me.I found one thats free online where you just read the info which I think is ok{REMOVED}good luck on your flight.you are not alone

maria

Last edited by msmod; 02-22-2005 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Don't offer to post website links. Posting links to websites violates the posting rules.

Old 02-23-2005, 02:07 PM   #5
    jamckit
    (female)

jamckit HB User

Try related it to something you know. I try to think of the turbulence as potholes & take off & landings as a rollar coaster with hills. It seems to work. I still have problems if it's bad turbulence & I still can't handle taking off. If you are teking any anxiety meds take one before boarding. I did that when I had to travel to Australia by myself & I was actually surprised that I didn't have any problems. Good luck I hope it's smooth flying.

Old 02-24-2005, 11:51 AM   #6
    Jugi
    (female)

Jugi HB User

The worst thing you can do is to cancel your trip - that will only reinforce your fear. The only way to deal with your fear of flying is to just go and do it. I personally prefer sitting near the window - it helps to keep me oriented and I can focus on all the scenery. I do like to close the window during takeoff and landing, though.

I agree with the person above regarding turbulence - just close your eyes if it gets a little bumpy and envision that you are driving your car and the road is just a little bit bumpy. You'll be amazed at how much the sensation is alike. In fact, the next time you're in a car, take a minute to notice all the bouncing up and down you do - I think that most of the time, the ride on an airplane is much smoother than being on the ground.

I like to use a sort of positive mental reinforcement on myself too. I know it sounds super cheesy, but it really helps - while you're sitting there, all calm, keep telling yourself (mentally!) things like, "what a smooth, nice ride," "this isn't so bad," "I'm remaining so calm right now," and "I'm so proud of myself."

Keeping yourself distrcted with reading definitely helps, too.

Just remember - ALL you have to do is just sit there! You don't have to do anything else. It's the same thing you do every day in your living room.

I know you've heard it so many times before, but do keep in mind how very safe flying is compared to driving.

You'll be fine, I'm sure of it!

Old 03-02-2005, 02:17 PM   #7
    Kathie T.
    (female)

Kathie T. HB User

For the fear of flying... I was just perusing around and this caught my eye because I have a terrible fear of flying. It actually got so bad I decided to take a course. Turbulence is nothing to worry about. It is exactly the same as waves in an ocean. When the air is that thin, the air becomes liquified and the plane is more like a boat going through waves and water. Tiny waves make a boat go up and down and tiny air waves make a plane do the same. Very normal and natural. In fact all airlines have to fly a route where they have at least five options for emergency landings at all times, the flight routes are planned to that. Also planes have two back up systems, and can fly with only one engine. Without any engine, the plane becomes a glider and can be glided to the ground. Anyways this put my mind at ease. All else fails take a valum before the flight.

Old 05-04-2005, 02:41 AM   #8
    TC88
    (female)

TC88 HB User

I was just reading through the boards re. fear of flying and found this thread... I too have a huge fear of flying! I live in the UK and want to go and visit my partner who is currently working in Australia until December 2005. I would love to see Oz for myself but every time I try to book a flight I can't bring myself to do it. I feel sick and get stomach cramps and as I suffer from IBS that kicks in and I just feel generally terrible!!!

I have flown twice before many years ago but only for about 2-3 hours each time and only just coped with that and I was with three friends each time. This time it would be a 22 hour flight on my own with a stopover in Singapore... although I have to admit it's not so much the flying that sets off my anxiety and panic attacks, it's THE CRASHING that does it!!!

I think I have more of a fear of crashing than of actually flying. I know you're supposedly safer flying than driving a car but a car doesn't have the capacity to plummet thousands of feet downwards at one heck of a speed!!!!

I shall try out some of the suggestions made and see if that helps. Any other suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Last edited by TC88; 05-04-2005 at 02:43 AM.

Closed Thread