It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Imipramine

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-04-2005, 05:34 PM   #1
    AliRah
    (male)

AliRah HB User
    Imipramine

Hi Everyone,

I vistited my doctor today and prescribed imipramine 10mg three time daily. I have been taking Xanax .5 mg three times daily for the past three months which have subsided my anxiety completely.

His rational as I understood was daily usage of Xanax would increase the longer that I am taking this medication and he feels that imipramine is better choice long term rather than Xanax and I should wean off it once imipramine kicks in .

I like to hear from others who have taken imipramine and concur with my doctor has stated.

Regards,
    Ali

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2005, 05:57 PM   #2
    browneyedsusie
    (female)

browneyedsusie HB User
    Re: Imipramine

Hi
    I myself used Imipramine from 91'-99'. It definetly did work for me and helped with anxiety and panic. I personally would only use it if it works at the dose your Doctor is perscribing. For years I was on a 25mg at nite, after the birth of my last child I had some postpartum and he upped it to 100mg and I ran into trouble. Mind you I had been on it 6 yrs and my hormones were out of whack but I did end up at 100mg having PVC's. I decided to wean myself off at this time. This has to be done very slowly and with lots of patience. I had alright days and very bad days. Imipramine is one of the 1st anti-depressants, it came on the market in 1953 and belongs to the tricyclic family. There is lots of documentation of it on the net since it has been around along time. The 30mg dose should be good for your anxiety (25mg worked for me). Children are even given this drug in low doses for enurosis(sp?-bedwetting). Anyway any other questions ask away...hope this helps
    Lesley
    P.S. Your doc is right about anti anxietys like xanax you end up needing higher doses and they are hard to come off , if your imipramine is in your system it will be easier for sure

Old 03-04-2005, 06:39 PM   #3
    desertflower
    (female)

desertflower HB User

Hi,

I took Tofranil (imipramine) for about 2.5 months, years ago. I did not like it as it is an older tricyclic antidepressant which can cause a host of side effects. I had extreme constipation with it and went for about 2 weeks of not going to the loo. I called the Doc and he told me to stop taking it immediately. After some laxatives and a little praying I was ok. I also did not like how it made me feel. I felt spaced out. But everyone is different and I hope you have a good experience with it. Good luck to you.

D

Last edited by desertflower; 03-04-2005 at 06:40 PM.

Old 07-06-2005, 03:20 AM   #4
    SAAW
    (female)

SAAW HB User

It's true about Xanax unfortunatly. I used to take it, then Klonopin, now I'm on Valium (the strongest and longest lasting benzo around). Started out at 2.5mg a day and in a year- two year span is now to 10-20mg a day. On bad days, I don't hesitate to take the higher. There are now times, I don't even feel it working.

I'm considering Tofranil. It calmed my anxieties immediatley and made my benzo work better and was able to take less. It may be a drug though difficult to get used to- and I'm impatient. For the most part- I can at least say it helped my anxieties.

Old 07-06-2005, 03:56 PM   #5
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to alirah
    your dose is a long way short of the antidepressant dose, check dosages with a pharmacist
    I agree with the others, ipipramine if it works, is more helpful, stay on xanax while getting used to it
    learning new ways of coping with stress and anxiety and relaxing yourself also help a lot

Old 07-31-2005, 01:10 PM   #6
    REXXX
    (male)

REXXX HB User

Itook Tis For The First Time This Wek,
    Woke Up And Found Myself In The Hall Witrh My Nose Against Ther Therkostat.
    3mormimgs Later, Woke Up,feltlike A Train Had Hit Me, And Was Missing 8 Oxcycontin From My Bottle That I Must Have Taken While In This 50 Mg. Stupor.
    Any Suggestions

Closed Thread