It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Xanax Drug Interactions?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-04-2005, 10:01 PM   #1
    malibubarbie999
    (female)

malibubarbie999 HB User
    Xanax Drug Interactions?

I was recently prescribed Xanax for panic attacks. I was diagnosed with General Anxiety Disorder when I was about 16 (I'm 21 now) and I've taken both Effexor and Paxil for it. Neither drug helped me one bit. Over the years, my anxiety has developed into an extreme panic disorder. I get panic attacks (very intense, long-lasting ones) about once a week.

My question has to do with drug interactions. Since I'm a hypochondriac, the thought of dying from my meds freaks me out. I currently take Yasmin (birth control), Adderall (for ADHD) and Vicodin HP (for a knee injury). I'm wondering if anyones heard of Xanax interacting badly with any of the above meds. Or ANY meds for that matter.

Should I be aware of any med interactions with Xanax? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2005, 04:38 AM   #2
    mudhound
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mudhound HB User
    Re: Xanax Drug Interactions?

I do not know of any. I take one now and then. Esp, the the heart goes to racing and the sweat goes to pouring.

Mudhound

Old 03-05-2005, 07:55 AM   #3
    GLSheridan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GLSheridan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by malibubarbie999
    I was recently prescribed Xanax for panic attacks. I was diagnosed with General Anxiety Disorder when I was about 16 (I'm 21 now) and I've taken both Effexor and Paxil for it. Neither drug helped me one bit. Over the years, my anxiety has developed into an extreme panic disorder. I get panic attacks (very intense, long-lasting ones) about once a week.

My question has to do with drug interactions. Since I'm a hypochondriac, the thought of dying from my meds freaks me out. I currently take Yasmin (birth control), Adderall (for ADHD) and Vicodin HP (for a knee injury). I'm wondering if anyones heard of Xanax interacting badly with any of the above meds. Or ANY meds for that matter.

Should I be aware of any med interactions with Xanax? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Nizoral and Sporanox (anti-fungals) can affect Xanax. Xanax can increase the effects of antidepressants, alcohol, antihistamines, sedatives, pain relievers (Vicodin), anxiety medications, seizure medications, and muscle relaxants.

Antacids may decrease the effects of Xanax.

Old 03-05-2005, 10:27 AM   #4
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

xanax is very useful for panic attacks and a fairly large dose will reduce the most severe one, disolved under the tongue is fastest
    you could try an other type of antidepressant, sometimes several need to be tried before finding 1 that works for you

Old 03-05-2005, 10:52 AM   #5
    Graciecat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

It should say this on your prescription bottle, but just in case it doesn't.
    Another thing you need to avoid while taking Xanax is grapefruit and grapefruit juice.

Old 03-05-2005, 03:36 PM   #6
    malibubarbie999
    (female)

malibubarbie999 HB User
    Arrow Re: Xanax Drug Interactions?

Thank you so much everyone for your replies! Knowing what *not* to take with Xanax has helped ease my mind. So far I've used it twice, during 2 particularly intense panic episodes, and though it took about 30 min to kick in, it worked like a charm. I don't know what I would've done without it!

When I have a panic attack, they tend to be very intense and w/o the help of meds, can last for hours on end. I even had one episode that lasted for like a week straight!!! Has anyone else experienced these lengthy types of attacks? I get so freaked out when it happens and I feel like there is nothing I can do to stop it! It's horrible, and it seems like no one understands!

Old 03-05-2005, 03:48 PM   #7
    flintrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

why grapefruit???

Old 03-05-2005, 05:18 PM   #8
    GLSheridan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GLSheridan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by flintrock
    why grapefruit???
    Grapefruit can slow down the body's ability to break down a drug, causing excess of the drug in the body. It can actually cause death.

Closed Thread