It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• "Air Hunger" related to anxiety

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-05-2005, 01:46 PM   #1
    Jpdst29
    (male)

Jpdst29 HB User
    "Air Hunger" related to anxiety

i am a 23 year old male who is in great shape and doesnt smoke...

about 6 months ago i started getting the feeling of "air hunger"; that i wasnt getting enough air...and eventually i would have to yawn or take a huge breath to satisfy my "need" for air.

finally it got to the point where it was driving me crazy...i couldnt take it anymore and i decided to go online and see what exactly it was...i found alot of people with the same symptoms as mine and most of them said it was either "hyperventilation syndrome" or "anxiety"...

my question is: will this ever go away on its own?

i have learned that if i am occupied with something or i dont think about it, the urge to take that deep breath does not pronounce itself as often...but it is still there just the same...

i tried some breathing techniques but with no success.

does anybody have any suggestions for me at this point, i can learn to live with this but i would rather not...is it possible that if i just quit taking that deep breath no matter how much i feel the need for air, after some time the urges will go away?

sorry for the all the repetitious questions...but i am at wits end...

thanks everyone,
    Jerome

p.s. the urge for this deep breath is much worse when i am exercising.

Last edited by Jpdst29; 03-05-2005 at 01:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2005, 06:18 PM   #2
    MKLowTone

MKLowTone HB User
    Re: "Air Hunger" related to anxiety

Sounds like you're slightly hyperventilating all the time - I was doing this and my doctor put me on a beta blocker (propanolol) to slow my heartrate down (and thus reduce the amount of oxygen getting into my system) - a week later I was feeling a lot better about it

Ironically having slightly too much oxygen makes you feel like you actually don't have enough - it might also make you tingle in your extremities and feel lightheaded if it gets more pronounced

if you feel that way I'd suggest stopping whatever you are doing and concentrating on your breathing for a couple of minutes - try learning some relaxation techniques and breathing exercises, especially learning to take more breaths from the diaphragm instead of the chest

Yoga might also help

Last edited by MKLowTone; 03-05-2005 at 06:20 PM.

Old 03-05-2005, 06:43 PM   #3
    Jpdst29
    (male)

Jpdst29 HB User

i was thinking of trying to do some good breathing techniques

i might pick up a book on it this week

it was real bad tonight since i was outside and it was cold...but once i started occupying myself with something...i didnt notice it...

hopefully your recommendations will work...thank you

Old 03-05-2005, 11:41 PM   #4
    lcamp04
    (female)

lcamp04 HB User

Hi! This message is in response to Jpdst29. I am a 23 year old female, in good shape, do not smoke, and do not have asthma. I recently began having the same "air hunger" problem about two months ago upon moving to Florida. I constantly have to yawn or take a deep breath every few minutes in order to get a satisfying breath, and at first it was really scary, and I was sure something was wrong with me. After having every test under the sun, only to have everything come back negative, I finally allowed myself to believe that these symptoms are in fact caused by mass amounts of stress and anxiety. Like you, I find that if I'm occupied, I'm less likely to think about it, but otherwise it's always there.

However, I am definitely better than I was 2 months ago. That gives me hope that in two more months I'll be even better, and eventually at some point, symptom free!! So here are some tips that I have found to be helpful:

1. If you are truy concerned, get some bloodwork done and some x-rays to rule out anything serious, so you can have complete peace of mind. (are you positive this "air hunger" couldn't be related to allergies, asthma, thyroid, heart/lung problems?)

2. Buteyko breathing.....I was skeptical at first, but it really does help. I used information I received off of a website, and did it myself. They highly recommend that you get an instructor, but I didn't have access to one. {REMOVED}Let me know if you have any questions...it can be overwhelming at first...I don't even know if I'm doing it exactly right, , but whatever!!

3. Talk to your doctor about an anti-depressant or beta blocker. I was prescribed Lexapro, Metoprolol, and Xanax for the really bad days (which has inevitably been every day since this thing started)

4. Stay occupied....Now that I'm convinced that I'm just overbreathing, it is easier for me not to give in to that deep breath. Sometimes, I have to but it's definitely better when I'm not constantly thinking about it. But, try the Buteyko...cause it will really help you learn to restore your breathing back to it's natural pattern.

5. Eat right, Keep your sleep pattern pattern consistent, and continue to exercise (I know...easier said than done...right???) Actually, you said yours is worse when you exercise...are you sure it's not asthma that is induced by strenuous activities?

6. Stay committed to keeping your mind strong. We have to fight this battle with our minds, so if nothing else re-train your brain to think only positive, healthy thoughts. Keep reminding yourself that you are a young, healthy, energetic 23 year old full of life. I have had to change my thinking patterns drastically. Whatever, you do.......Just think Positive!!

Well, that's all I can think of for now. I'm sure through your research, you've learned the basics: breathe only through your nose, take shallow breaths, breathe from the abdomen not the chest, and attempt to reduce your breaths to 12 breaths per minute. (none of this basic junk helped me, but I guess it's good to know!)

Anyways, if you have any questions or need support, I'm here and feeling your pain!! I know it seems debilitating at times, but stay focused and remain positive. We're both 23 and have our whole lives ahead of us!! Well take care, and bye for now!

Last edited by ms_mod; 03-06-2005 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Don't tell members how to search for products or services.

Old 03-06-2005, 04:30 AM   #5
    Und3rc0v3r
    Inactive
    (male)

Und3rc0v3r HB User

Hey, Jerome - I have suffered the same plight for nearly a year (but don't worry that I've suffered for so long!), and only now have I begun to realise that it is caused by anxiety (if only the worry about the breathing itself!). My advice to you is straightforward. It's impossible not to think about the problem, so don't try that. Instead, concentrate on not letting it get on top of you. Whenever you get the sensation of needing a deep breath, don't attempt it!! Instead, breath through your nose slowly and steadily until you feel better again. If you snatch for air things only get progressively worse.

Now, I know you like to be able to exercise and I do know how incredibly frustrating it is to be willing to exercise but not physically able When it comes to exercise the principle is the same: if you feel like grasping for air then just don't. If you have to slow down (when running, for instance) then do so, but don't grope for air because it becomes a downward spiral. Trust me, I've been there: running on empty (in terms of oxygen) to the point where I've been delirious because I let my stubbornness get the better of me

What I am hoping for right now is that if I gradually tackle this problem one day at a time, the active concentration on slowing my breathing down will become instinctive to the point where I no longer feel like there's a problem. I think this is the only way to get better. And I certainly don't think anxiety medication is necessary in our case! (Sorry, Icamp, but in my opinion, it would make sense for Jerome to at least attempt to get on top of things naturally, so that he doesn't become dependent on something). Good luck to you mate

Last edited by Und3rc0v3r; 03-06-2005 at 04:35 AM.

Old 03-06-2005, 05:40 AM   #6
    Jpdst29
    (male)

Jpdst29 HB User

thanks to the both of you!!!

i will defenitely try some Buteyko breathing techniques and i will make sure to resist the urge to take that deep breath no matter how much i need to.

i hope both of your symptoms improve as i hope mine will

Old 03-06-2005, 06:51 PM   #7
    tooanxious
    Veteran
    (male)

tooanxious HB User

I have this air hunger thing to. I have gotten a lot better at controling it though. I still have one question and I dont know if you guys can answer or not. I always am able to breath in and out enough. So I dont display any asthma symptoms, like wheezing also. Does this mean then that it cant be asthma? Can you still have asthma from just feeling like you cant breathe and your lungs are tight? Im like 90% convinced mine is air hunger becuase I dont wheeze or anything I just feel like I cant breathe and Im anxious. Also I have been checked my docs before and they all say my lungs are clear. I guess I would just like to 100% convinced. Thanks for the help. Hope that wasnt too confusing.

Last edited by tooanxious; 03-06-2005 at 06:53 PM.

Old 03-06-2005, 07:03 PM   #8
    Jpdst29
    (male)

Jpdst29 HB User

in response to "tooanxious":

i don't believe it would be asthma...i have a couple friends who have asthma and i talked with them about the "air hunger" condition and they said that when they get that condition...it is very severe and they basically cannot do anything and they usually need to use their inhaler to stabilize themselves...

i seriously do believe that this is caused by anxiety and that the more we think about it...the worse it becomes...i was pretty occupied today with a big project and i didnt get the urge once to take that deep breath...then i went and rode my bike for 10 miles and still didnt feel the urge...but as soon as i came home and sat in front of the t.v., there came that urge to take a deep breath...this is going to be very confusing to deal with...

Old 03-06-2005, 08:57 PM   #9
    tooanxious
    Veteran
    (male)

tooanxious HB User

Thanks Jpdst29. It logically makes sense that its not asthma but it feel so bad that I wonder at times. Also my air hunger usually happens where It feels like I cant get a deep enough breath. Almost like my lungs are tight and wont expand. Then I try to take a deep breath to get rid of this feeling but Im unable to. It goes away when I finnally get that one breath that feels deep enough. Does that sound like what you go thru?

Old 03-07-2005, 03:50 AM   #10
    Jpdst29
    (male)

Jpdst29 HB User

that is EXACTLY what i am going through...i have read so much on this topic that i can tell you one thing...you must resist that urge to take that deep breath...everywhere i have read has said that the more you take that deep breath, the worse it will become and you will never get over it...i know it is hard...i tried one day to not do it and i thought i was going to die...and it felt so good to take that breath...i just try to stay occupied as much as possible and the feeling isnt there as much

i wish i had more info for you...

i am going to get some breathing technique books today from the library and see what they have to say...ill try anything

let me know if you find anything that works in the future...

thanks,
    jerome

Old 03-07-2005, 01:43 PM   #11
    lcamp04
    (female)

lcamp04 HB User

Hi tooanxious!

I have a question for you and Jerome.....How did your "air hunger" episodes begin? Was it gradual or all of a sudden? Mine started happening when I moved to Florida two months ago. I was under a great deal of stress and I started having panic attacks for the first time in my life. But I also noticed that it seemed to start after a really strenuous work out one night. Everyone suspected asthma at first, but I don't have any wheezing either. I was perfectly healthy and than it just started...like out of the blue, so I'm really curious as to what the cause could be? Also, is it chronic....like all day, or just off and on? And do you sleep through the night without any disturbances?

Also, most of the people who previously posted on this topic never came back, so maybe that's a good thing? My question to anyone out there who has suffered with this, will it ever go away? I gave some personal tips in an earlier post on what's helped me, but I'm still searching for answers. Anyone's advice would be greatly appreciated.!!! Oh and Jerome...that other guy was right. I definitely think you should go the natural route first. My anxiety was just too out of control....so that's why my doc prescribed Xanax. But it's addiciting...so stay away if you can.

Old 03-07-2005, 02:43 PM   #12
    Jpdst29
    (male)

Jpdst29 HB User

LCAMP: Mine just started suddenly one day. I cannot pin point exactly what might have been happening in my life but something is always stressful at one point or another. I do get air hunger ALL day, except when i am occupied deeply with something and then i sort of forget about it. I dont really lose much sleep although the past couple nights i have been waking up at exactly 4:30am even though the alarm isnt set until 5:30am. But i feel refreshed all day and i never feel tired so i will not complain. I think it might have something to do with my mattress which needs replacing.

Mostly i just get my air hunger the worst when i am doing nothing. Just sitting around and such. I have to get out this week and get some breathing technique books and possibly a book on anxiety and see what it has to say.

till then...i will just have to live with it

Last edited by Jpdst29; 03-07-2005 at 02:44 PM.

Old 03-07-2005, 04:21 PM   #13
    tooanxious
    Veteran
    (male)

tooanxious HB User

LCAMP: I cant really pinpoint when mine started becuase Ive had it for about three years. However it started around the time I developed anxiety probs, so that is just more evidence that it is a part of that. Also I had probs with it at night before but Im doing a lot better now that I have been exercising and sleeping on a good schedule. Usually mine lasts for maybe thirty minutes to an hour. It happens in certain stressful situations and exercising sometimes when I concentrate on my breathing too much. The best advice is to slow down your breathing as hard as it is. Just stop for a second and relax all your muscles, dont breathe for like ten seconds (giving enough time for your body to catch up to your overbreathing) then breathe in and out very deeply and slowly. Hope that helps.

Old 03-07-2005, 09:34 PM   #14
    lcamp04
    (female)

lcamp04 HB User

Thanks tooanxious and Jerome. I guess there is no common cause, but I do feel strongly that anxiety plays a big part. I have been trying harder to concentrate on my breathing, and I will try to slow it down. It's just weird, cause it doesn't seem like I'm overbreathing. Than again, I guess I wouldn't know. I guess my body is just all out of whack. Anyways, it's good to know that i'm not alone, and to speak to people who actually know what I'm going through. If y'all find any good tips, please share!!!!! I'm so sick of this. Anyways, bye for now, and please give any feedback as you think of it!

Old 03-08-2005, 07:32 PM   #15
    Frank186
    (male)

Frank186 HB User

take little "sips" of air instead of trying to get more in when you feel the air hunger coming on. It will definately make you extra panicky the first few times but after a while you'll get used to it and will be very useful to you. Make a game of it to see how long you can keep up the air sipping without going back to normal breathing.

Frank

Closed Thread