It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• I donít care if I become addicted to Xanax...Whatever it takes

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-06-2005, 09:39 PM   #1
    Hyperspace
    Inactive

Hyperspace HB User
    Unhappy I donít care if I become addicted to Xanax...Whatever it takes

I'm going to a new doctor this Friday (itís been about 3 years since Iíve seen one)ÖI have social anxiety disorder/anxiety attacks.

Iím 34 maleÖThis disorder has greatly reduced the quality of my lifeÖI have not even been on a date in over 7 years! Iíve ďwalked offĒ jobs and have few friends because of this disorder.

Iím going to ask the doctor for the Beta Blocker Inderal to hopefully control the autonomic nervous system arousal (panic attack) and the Benzodiazepine Xanax. Iím on a tight budget, and these medications are cheap.

Iím willing to take the risk involved with taking the medications if it can give me a chance at getting my life back. I donít care if I become addicted to Xanax. I just want to have a lifeÖ

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2005, 04:27 AM   #2
    coocoo
    (female)

coocoo HB User
    Angry Re: I donít care if I become addicted to Xanax...Whatever it takes

I Know What You Mean, I Feel The Same Way, Exactly, And I'm Probably Going To Need It The Rest Of My Life, So What Difference Does It Make????
    I got buspar instead, I stoped after 4 days of not sleeping, calling my doc today to see what she says.

Last edited by coocoo; 03-07-2005 at 04:30 AM.

Old 03-07-2005, 04:45 AM   #3
    Sugar64
    (female)

Sugar64 HB User
    Re: I donít care if I become addicted to Xanax...Whatever it takes

You won't get addicted to xanax, not if you take it wisely, like in addition to the other med you'll be taking. I know you may feel that way out of desperation, but to be addicted to a drug would be worse than the condition you're taking it for. I hope you feel some relief soon. Anxiety is a lousy thing to deal with, we've all there, or have been. Good luck.

Old 03-07-2005, 05:11 AM   #4
    MKLowTone

MKLowTone HB User

Going by most accouts from these bvoards Xanax is highly addictive, but there are ways of coming off it (either tapering it down or substituting another drug for a while) so good luck and I hope you, Hyperspace, get your life back

Old 03-07-2005, 05:26 AM   #5
    Graciecat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

Just a couple of things...I hope I don't come off as sounding like I'm preaching because that's not what I mean to do believe me.

I have nothing bad at all to say about Xanax, I took it at a very low dose for a long time and when I didn't need it anymore I weaned off of it without any trouble.

But, you may find that your Doctor will refuse to prescribe it to you.
    Some people, not everyone, but some do become dependent on it, or tolorent to the dose they are taking which cause them to start taking more.
    That never happened to me, I took the same low dose the whole time I was on it, but it does happen to some people.
    My Doctor gave me some very good advice when he prescribed it for me, he told me that just because the bottle said I could take "X" amount "X" amount of times a day, didn't mean that I had to take that much, he said taking less was great, but to never ever no matter what take more.
    In fact I took half of what the bottle said I could take, so maybe that's why I never had a problem.

Another thing, and this is just my opinion, going in asking for Xanax by name probably isn't a good idea.
    That alone may be enough to raise a red flag with your Doctor and cause him/her to not even consider letting you try it.
    Like I said not everyone has a problem with Xanax, but going in asking for it by name may cause your Doctor to believe that you will have a problem or they may even think...and wrongly so...that you already do have a problem with it.

Maybe just tell the Doctor that you are on a tight budget and would like to try something that's not going to be really expensive, and then ask if there is something you can take "as needed", rather than an SSRI which needs to be taken daily.

Like I said, I'm sorry if this sounds like I'm preaching I just wanted to let you know that in my opinion going in asking for a drug by name may not be a good idea for the reasons I stated above.

Old 03-07-2005, 07:52 AM   #6
    polishkittycat

polishkittycat HB User

Hi I am an anxiety sufferer too and have been for about 10 yrs now. I have panic attacks almost daily and I pretty much contribute those to the stress I've been under lately as well as the decision last year to take myself off of all meds because I no longer wanted to depend on the them..

I was first perscribed Xanax when all my anxiety and panic stuff started to happen way back when. I would take one and WOW I would actually like feel it starting to work as if I could picture the pill disolving as I was becoming calmer and calmer and calmer. I was perscribed .5 to 1 pill a day PRN (as needed) well over the course of about 1 year and a half I still had all of my crazy daily attacks but I never cared as long as I had the bottle of Xanax in my purse. I even went so far as to putting one in my pants pocket in case my purse was stolen and in my glove compartment ect ect ect. I was taking this with no other drugs at the time just the Xanax. Well with that particular type of drug like so many others I built an immunity to it so after awhile the .5 to 1 pill just wasnt doing the trick. Long story short I became so addicted that I was taking about 18 a day and had 3 different doctors perscribing them to me at once without knowing about eachother. I had run all out and had a nervous breakdown at Walgreens and then that led me to a shrink who put me on Klonopin (which has a half life of 12 hrs, -vs- Xanax of 4 hrs) while I stopped the Xanax and while I waited for the Paxil to kick in because it took a few weeks. Let me tell you if other "non habit forming" meds are working, then keep with them even talk to your doctor about upping the dose before you demand Xanax. I was nervous that when I stopped Klonopin that maybe the Paxil wouldnt be full force but I did with no problems and was on Paxil and almost just almost panic attack and anxiety free for almost 5 yrs. I am actually thinking about going back on it. I quit it because I got into one of those I can do this and overcome this without meds moods and I can see everyday that for me it may not be possible and I am willing to accept that and live a good life then be miserable and med free. Just my .02
    Polishkittycat

Old 03-07-2005, 05:27 PM   #7
    Hyperspace
    Inactive

Hyperspace HB User
    Wink Re: I donít care if I become addicted to Xanax...Whatever it takes

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Graciecat
    Another thing, and this is just my opinion, going in asking for Xanax by name probably isn't a good idea.
    That alone may be enough to raise a red flag with your Doctor and cause him/her to not even consider letting you try it.
    Like I said not everyone has a problem with Xanax, but going in asking for it by name may cause your Doctor to believe that you will have a problem or they may even think...and wrongly so...that you already do have a problem with it.

Maybe just tell the Doctor that you are on a tight budget and would like to try something that's not going to be really expensive, and then ask if there is something you can take "as needed", rather than an SSRI which needs to be taken daily.

Like I said, I'm sorry if this sounds like I'm preaching I just wanted to let you know that in my opinion going in asking for a drug by name may not be a good idea for the reasons I stated above.
    I understand what you are saying...you may be right. But, as an honor student in college, I research everything that is of importance to me. I'm going in to the doctorís office with an agenda on paper (that he will be going over with me). As the paying customer, I'm going to run the show ...but at the same time, not coming across as if I am questioning his knowledge and competence.

~

Sample of some parts of the agenda:

Panic/Anxiety Attacks (Autonomic nervous system arousal) -

ē Rapid heart rate
    ē Sweating
    ē Blushing
    ē Shaking
    ē Quivery voice
    ē Shallow breathing
    ē Intense feeling to leave situation
    ē Feeling as though all eyes are focused on myself

Generally, I avoid most social situations

ē Dropped out of High School because of speech class (Received GED)
    ē ďWalked offĒ many jobs (unemployed now)
    ē Have not dated in over 7 years
    ē Few friends
    ________________________________________ ________________________________

Current:
    Now Iím in college facing presentations this semester (speech next semester). I have seen psychologists about this problem with little success. I am uninsured, so Iím financing this doctorís visit with my student aid refund. After careful research on side affects and pricing (Iím on a tight budget), I would like the try a combination of two classes of medication; BETA BLOCKERS & BENZODIAZEPINES (Optional). Mainly, itís the Beta Blocker I want to try.

BETA BLOCKERS (Requested)
    ē Propranolol (Inderal) social phobia
    ē Atenolol (Tenormin) social phobia

BENZODIAZEPINES (Optional)
    ē Alprazolam (Xanax) panic, generalized anxiety, phobias, social phobias
    ē Clonazepam (Klonopin) panic, phobias, social phobia
    ē Diazepam (Valium) generalized anxiety, panic, phobias
    ē Lorazepam (Ativan) generalized anxiety, panic, phobias
    ē Oxazepam (Serax) generalized anxiety, phobias
    ē Chlordiazepoxide (Librium) generalized anxiety, phobias

Support Material:
    Name Inderal
    Generic name Propranolol
    Manufacturer Wyeth-Ayerst
    First used in 1967 approved
    Family Beta Blockers; Antiarrhythmic Agent (class II)
    Indications Hypertension, Angina, Abnormal heart rhythms (Arrhythmias), Migraine, Stage fright and Performance anxiety

How does it work? Propranolol blocks chemicals, such as adrenaline, and prevents them from increasing heart rate, blood pressure, and oxygen use. It effectively reduces autonomic nervous system arousal (e.g. performance anxiety symptoms, palpitations, hyperventilation, blushing, sweating, pounding heartbeat, nausea, disabling tremor). Full benefits in a few hours to weeks, depending on severity of disorder.

Administration: Propranolol is available as 10 mg, 20 mg, 40 mg, 60 mg, and 80 mg tablets for oral administration and as a 1 mg/ml sterile injectable solution for intravenous administration. Capsules of Propranolol for prolonged action, come as 60mg, 80mg, 90mg, 120mg, 160mg. Dosage must be determined by a physician.

Side effects: Dizziness or slight drowsiness, changes in mood, sexual side effects, trouble with sleep, worsening of asthma.
    PHYSICIAN/HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONAL MEMBER RATINGS
    Reviews of Inderal:
    Inderal for specific situations
    I have found Inderal to be incredibly helpful for very specific anxiety provoking situations such as public speaking. It helps to keep me from shaking, having a quivery voice, and sweating, allowing me to stay focused on the task at hand rather than on my fear. I feel tired and a bit depressed for a day after using it.
    Saved My Career Today
    Well, propranalol saved my entire career today. I have been socially phobic about public speaking for years. I FREEZE and have a total inability to speak in presentation mode. Hard for a career person on the fast-track. I've called in sick on presentation days. Avoided everything. I mean... I really couldn't do it at all. I was always overcome by extreme panic, heart rate exceleration, and this wierd surreal sense. Hyperventilation, and huge embarrassment in front of co-workers.

A very progressive doctor prescribed me Propranolol for these very situations recently, and today was my first (real life) trial with about 60mg 2 hours in advance. I did also have a small dosage of clonazapam in combination.

In any case, for the first time in years, I was able to give a speach to 60 people. And none of the horrendous side effects happened. Nothing. It was amazing. No freezing, no palpatations, no shaking from head to toe, no inability to speak (all those things that have set me so far back in the past). Please try this medication if you have a similar problem. The suffering and limitations of career life that you've felt may disappear like mine did. Don't get me wrong. I was nervous before heading up to the microphone, but once in front of a group of VPs and Vendors, I actually pulled it off so easily. I think the clonazepam worked well in combination though, so maybe, if your doctor agrees to a backup dose of a benzo-d, you might be well served. Anyway... this is a breakthrough for me. I had rave reviews today on the proffessionalism I dispayed. Just watch the levels of Benzo. They have to be very light, or you'll appear to be confused and dim-witted. But don't worry, the beta-blocker seems to carry the biggest part of the problem.
    Worked Well for Occasional Use!
    This works wonders at stopping the shaking, heart pounding, sweating etc caused by anxiety and performance anxiety. I can only use it once a week if needed because after a couple days use I felt really weak and out of it. I went to the doctor and they told me my blood pressure was going to low because of the Inderal. I already have very low blood pressure any way so the Inderal made it go even lower. But, once a week or once a month I am fine and it is really a lifesaver. I wish that I had this when I was in school doing presentations in front of classes. It would have helped me tremendously.
    No Sweat!
    I have had debilitating anxiety for much of my life compounded by the fact that when anxious I sweat profusely which just causes more anxiety. I was prescribed Propanolol as an experiment and tried it in a social situation last night and again today for a speaking engagement--two times when I would normally be dripping--and both times were 100% successful. I am so happy to have found this, although I plan on only using it as necessary because I read here about how it can lose effectiveness.
    ________________________________________ ________________________________________ __________

Conclusion:
    Doctor, this disorder has greatly reduced the quality of my life. Social anxiety disorder is truly debilitating. Iím willing to take the risks involved with taking the medication/s if it can give me a chance at getting my life backÖthe BETA BLOCKER Propranolol (Inderal) with possibly a BENZODIAZEPINE like Alprazolam (Xanax), Diazepam (Valium), or Lorazepam (Ativan), which are inexpensive.
    ________________________________________ ________

Pricing Information

Beta Blockers Ė

Inderal
    PROPRANOLOL 10MG TABLET

Quantity: 90
    Price: $9.99

PROPRANOLOL 20MG TABLET

Price: $10.39

Tenormin
    ATENOLOL 25MG TABLET

Price: $16.89

ATENOLOL 50MG TABLET

Price: $16.19

ATENOLOL 100MG TABLET

Quantity: 30
    Price: $15.99

Benzodiazepines -

Xanax
    ALPRAZOLAM 0.25MG TABLET

Price: $17.79

ALPRAZOLAM 0.5MG TABLET

Price: $15.59

ALPRAZOLAM 1MG TABLET

Price: $21.69

Klonopin
    CLONAZEPAM 0.5MG TABLET

Quantity: 60
    Price: $27.99

CLONAZEPAM 1MG TABLET

Price: $30.29

Valium
    DIAZEPAM 2MG TABLET

Quantity: 100
    Price: $16.49

DIAZEPAM 5MG TABLET

Price: $13.99

DIAZEPAM 10MG TABLET

Price: $14.59

Ativan
    LORAZEPAM 0.5MG TABLET

Price: $14.79
    Price: $28.89
    Price: $42.99

LORAZEPAM 1MG TABLET

Price: $17.99
    Price: $35.19
    Price: $51.59

LORAZEPAM 2MG TAB

Price: $26.59
    Price: $74.59

Old 03-07-2005, 05:54 PM   #8
    sweetums

sweetums HB User

Well this is only my opinion and I certainly understand how desperate you can feel...because I still feel that way and I am on 4mgs of xanax a day with my Wellbutrin...at first the xanax helped, but I have become tolerant to it and now it's not helping at all...I have literally just started 2 days ago to wean off of the xanax because I don't like taking a pill that is doing absolutely nothing for me....at the time I went on it I was like you...I didn't care what happened with the meds, I just wanted something to help...but in the long run it hurt me more than helped me...now weaning off of it is already very difficult...I wouldn't jump into taking this particular med...just be cautious.

Old 03-07-2005, 08:18 PM   #9
    Hyperspace
    Inactive

Hyperspace HB User

Sweetums,
    Xanax is better to be taken as needed. I don't plan on taking meds all the time. But, I need some help, and Iíve tried both SSRI's and corrective thinking in the past...did not help at all (even if it didÖI can not afford them). I just ended up in debt. I'm a college student without a job or medical insurance...I can't afford most medication or expensive lab tests. I'm spending most of my student aid refund just to talk to this doctor. If I can possibly get help from these two inexpensive drugs, then that's my best option...it's that or no treatment...I just don't have the money.

Old 03-08-2005, 04:50 AM   #10
    Ammy

Ammy HB User

Hyperspace, I'm going to give you my own personal take on Inderal.

I've taken it since May of 1999 for high blood pressure. I've suffered with panic attacks and anxiety since 1989 (10 years prior to starting the Inderal). Not once, in the 6 years that I have been taking it, can I honestly say that it has in ANY way helped with my panic or anxiety.

From 1999 until 2002, I went unmedicated for the anxiety, however I took that Inderal faithfully 4 times a day because of the hypertension. I still had panic attacks on an almost daily basis. To the point of where I became housebound actually. In 2002 I started taking Xanax. It's the Xanax that's been the life-saver for me.

Remember, I'm only speaking from personal experience.... but I've been on Inderal for 6 years (20mg 4 times a day) and through all that time I've suffered with panic attack after panic attack. Even with the Xanax, I still have them, only now I have a way to "control" them so to speak. When I'm in a situation I know will cause me anxiety (such as riding in a car) I take one 20 minutes before then and I'm able to cope better. It doesn't always keep me from having one, but if it doesn't, it limits the severity of the attack.

My psychiatrist has also now put me on Lexapro (been on that for 3 months) and it's not helped me any either. Still have the panic attacks and anxiety. Others expound on how great of a med it is, but I haven't found that to be the case with me.

Inderal is a beta-blocker, which means it affects the heart and circulatory system. It's prescribed for high blood pressure, to treat angina, to treat irregular heartbeats, to treat tremors, and to help prevent a recurrent heart attack. So... in essence it can treat some of the symptoms of the panic attack (the angina, the irregular heartbeats, etc.) but in no case does it treat the panic itself. If you stop taking it suddenly and don't taper off of it, it can cause life-threatening side effects up to and including causing a heart attack. Inderal also lowers your heart rate. I have a resting heart rate of between 56 and 64 BPM. If you already HAVE a low heart rate, taking a beta blocker may not be for you. (Read up on Bradycardia.)

Again, I'm just one voice in a sea, but please be careful when thinking of asking for this medication. It's been my experience that it will mask the symptoms somewhat, but in in no way, shape, or form lessens the anxiety. You'll still have a panic attack.... only a panic attack with possibly less severe symptoms.

Last edited by Ammy; 03-08-2005 at 04:50 AM.

Old 03-08-2005, 05:12 PM   #11
    Hyperspace
    Inactive

Hyperspace HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ammy
    Again, I'm just one voice in a sea, but please be careful when thinking of asking for this medication. It's been my experience that it will mask the symptoms somewhat, but in in no way, shape, or form lessens the anxiety. You'll still have a panic attack.... only a panic attack with possibly less severe symptoms.
    Hun, I'll be careful. Thanks for your concern.

Old 03-08-2005, 07:17 PM   #12
    Porcelain_doll
    (female)

Porcelain_doll HB User

Hi Hyperspace. I'm in college too LOL! I think you may be going about this all wrong. How can you be SO SURE that your prognosis is correct? {REMOVED} You have no experience with the specific medications you are insisting on. {REMOVED} I mean no offence, sometimes when we want to state a clear opinion, less is more. I hope you find the answers you seek.

Last edited by msmod; 03-08-2005 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Inappropriate comments.

Closed Thread