It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Coping With Anxiety

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-08-2005, 07:03 PM   #1
    Treetop
    (female)

Treetop HB User
    Coping With Anxiety

Hi, I would like to start a support thread for any one suffer with anxiety and the ways that they cope.

{This is the new thread that was started in place of the locked thread "Any suggestions on finding acceptance?"}

Last edited by msmod; 03-08-2005 at 07:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2005, 09:16 PM   #2
    tooanxious
    Veteran
    (male)

tooanxious HB User
    Re: Coping With Anxiety

Exercise is good. Long walks are very helpful and intense cardio is even better if you are fit enough. Also listening to relaxing music while slowing down your breathing is also beneficial. Tense up all your muscles and then relax them, from your toes all the way to your forehead. If someone is giving you anxiety then try to ignore that person and dont argue with them. I have a person who causes me a great deal of stress and I just have to ignore them or else my anxiety will go up. Try to seperate yourself from the anxiety, put it in a ball and watch it float away. Dont let anxiety become you. Dont drink too much caffiene or alcohol. Hope that helps some.

Old 03-09-2005, 12:37 AM   #3
    worriedfemale29
    (female)

worriedfemale29 HB User

Hi tooanxious,
    Thanks for the advice, I need it. I know when I get anxiety blocking the person out helps me alot. I also try to listen to music and dance around the house. This seems to work alot of those feelings out, and the dancing is good exercise too. I've thought about buying a treadmill to exercise on b/c it's so cold outside I don't like to get out in it. I'll be glad when Spring gets here, I think this will help out alot, b/c then we can enjoy all the new things popping up, and the birds flying around, singing. It's a beautiful time of year. I also try to remind myself to relax alot b/c when I'm having panic attacks it seems like every part of my body is tensed up, I even clench my teeth together. Most importantly I do alot of praying, and asking God for guidance. These things seem to get me through.

Old 03-09-2005, 12:47 AM   #4
    worriedfemale29
    (female)

worriedfemale29 HB User

Hi Treetop,
    Went to the doctor today, and everything checked out fine. She checked my BP, Sugar, Heart Rate, I even got a TB test. Everything was normal. She told me I was having GERD, GAD, and panick attacks. She put me on Paxil, 20mgs. I'm going to start taking it tomorrow. She said all the things I have been stressing over have piled up and lead to this. Hope the medicine works, never have taken anything for this before, but I felt like I had to do something. I'm feeling some better tonight, more relaxed, maybe I can get some sleep. Hope everything is going good for you and Marirose. Keeping you two in my prayers. God Bless you both, luckfemale

Old 03-09-2005, 03:30 AM   #5
    Marirose
    Veteran
    (female)

Marirose HB User

Good morning everybody, I am so glad that things went well for you at the dr. Luckyfemale. I am sure that the meds.will help. I know a lot of people have a horror of taking meds., getting addicted, etc., but I think they are sometimes just the crutch that an exhausted mind and body need to start the natural healing process from anxiety. Thanks for starting the new thread, Treetops. I am sorry if we made anyone feel excluded from the old one. Now, I have a question for tooanxious...how do you go about ignoring people who stress you? I know that probably sounds like a dumb question, but if I can't avoid someone who is stressing me, I find myself brooding on how to handle them, what I would like to say to them if I wasn't a well mannered person, etc. Do you have any suggestions...like Luckyfemale (who changed her name from "worried female"), I pray alot for support & acceptance of my anxiety until I am healed from it, but do you have any coping strategies for when you are trapped in the moment with that stressful person? I find afterwards, i eventually relax and find solace in prayer, but I would like to find some way not to let the anxiety ball get rolling over other people & their opinions. I exercise alot, cardio-walk-yoga or weight train everyday, and am trying to avoid caffeine. I am probably in the best shape of my life, so that is one thing I can bless the anxiety for!!! Also, when Treetops & Luckyfemale and I were posting one another on another thread, I was telling them that I was having a lot of stress over my husband being out of town on business...but I made it!!! He will be home this afternoon and I managed to sleep through the night again (two nights in a row). This is a huge change for me, and I am actually kind of proud of myself. My husband is going to be thrilled when he gets back and I am my normal (LOL) self, not an exhausted mess from night after night of no sleeping and caring for the kids. I have to go get those little cherubs ready for school, so I'll check back later with you guys...as always, thanks for the prayer. And thanks for the post, tooanxious. Looking forward to any suggestions you may have.

Old 03-09-2005, 05:52 AM   #6
    Treetop
    (female)

Treetop HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Coping With Anxiety

Hi Tooanxious,

Thanks for the great advice. I tried to be aware of all my triggers of anxiety, so that I can remove myself from those situations. I agree, exercise is a good way to release stress. I plan to start taking Karate lesson or some type of exercise classes. I exercise around the house for right now. I also know that keeping busy doing positive things helps me alot. Well, thanks again for your advice.

Last edited by Treetop; 03-09-2005 at 06:16 AM.

Old 03-09-2005, 06:05 AM   #7
    Treetop
    (female)

Treetop HB User
    Smile Re: Coping With Anxiety

Hi Luckyfemale,

I'm so glad everthing went well at the doctor's, although, I already knew it would. I didn't know you wasn't taking anything for your anxiety. I had to accept that my medication does help me. It was difficult for me to accept that I needed the medication, until I get better. I was in denial and had to accept the fact that the medication works for me. (I know I was so bias) My primary care doctors says I don't need it, but I disagree so I went to talk with a therpist he referred me to. Although, I'm not depressed, but I do have some anxiety. I hate that a lot of times people with anxiety disorder are often mistaking for being depressed and given depression medication. A lot of people with anxiety are not necessary depressed. One doctor gave me some depression medication and I thought I was going to lose my mind. I stopped taking it because I didn't feel like myself. I even felt worst. My new doctor agreed with me that I wasn't depressed and suggested that I stop taking them. Now I just take medication for anxiety and acid reflux and it helps alot. I'm not worrying about if I have to take them forever any more because they are helping me get back to normal, so I focus on the present instead of the past or future. My comment about the depression medication doesn't mean that it want work for someone else. I just wanted you all to make sure you are taken the right medication and receive the correct diagnose. I have to go see my doctor and go see my therpist today. I will check back with you later.

Last edited by Treetop; 03-09-2005 at 06:12 PM.

Old 03-09-2005, 06:14 AM   #8
    Treetop
    (female)

Treetop HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Coping With Anxiety

Hi Marirose,

I knew you were going to be fine. I'm so proud of you and I so happy for your family. I'm sure they are seeing a difference in you, also. I agreed with you about the medication. I use to worry about getting addicted but my doctor told me that I dont have addictive behaviors, the medication I'm taking isnt addictive and the dose is so low he can't see how I would become addicted. Well, girls I have to go take my daughter to school and go to my appointments. I have a busy schedule today that I started to stress over yesterday but I decided to turn it over to God. I read Joyce Meyer book on anxiety and she talk about learning to relax and give things to God. I relax and I gave those stupid thoughts to God and went straight to sleep. I woke up today with so much energy and convidence. I can't wait to get my day started. I read my psalm for today and have the gospel station on and I'm writing you all. All these positive things have me ready to start off to a positive and joyful day. God Bless you all. Check with you guys later.

Last edited by Treetop; 03-09-2005 at 06:24 AM.

Old 03-09-2005, 02:47 PM   #9
    Marirose
    Veteran
    (female)

Marirose HB User

Hi Treetop - So glad you are having a good day. So am I - I am so grateful for all the prayers...I got up ready to face the day. I am feeling so confident now that I did so well in a situation that usually gave me massive anxiety! I feel like, yeah, I can do this, I can move on and stop letting this control me. I think just getting through a situation that used to scare me so much has helped me grow. Thanks again for everything...Wishing everyone a blessed night! Let's all who are reading this post, and are inclined to prayer, say one for our friend "Fear" whom I haven't seen a post from in a few days. God wants us to help one another, and I think when we take the sharp focus off of ourselves we tend to lose some of our own anxiety, so we can get doubly blessed by one prayer! IF you read this Fear, please let us know how you are getting along! Same goes for Luckyfemale & TooAnxious - God Bless, Marirose

Last edited by Marirose; 03-09-2005 at 02:50 PM.

Old 03-09-2005, 06:09 PM   #10
    Treetop
    (female)

Treetop HB User

Thanks Marirose,

Although, I had a busy day everthing went smooth. See it didn't pay to assume the worst because you never know what's going to happen. I didn't have any anxiety. You should be really proud of yourself because you are doing great. I knew after you got of the hurdle of being alone. It would encourage you to continue to stay strong and live in peace. I will continue to pray for you, luckfemale, TooAnxious and Fear, also. Well, I will check with you later I just got in so I need to get settle. Have a bless and peaceful night.

Last edited by Treetop; 03-09-2005 at 06:11 PM.

Old 03-10-2005, 12:18 AM   #11
    worriedfemale29
    (female)

worriedfemale29 HB User

Hello everyone,
    Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. I am so proud to see you made it through Marirose, but I already knew you could. We all have something very special to keep us going and that's our faith in God. Of course, having each other to pray and talk to helps too. I don't know what I would do without your and Treetops' words of encouragement. They have really helped me through my dark moments in life, and made me pick myself up and go again. I can't thank either of you enough. Your both truely great people, and I have been blessed. Thank You both. I also wanted to update you on the adoption. I only have two more classes, and I'll be done!!! Maybe once I get through with these I can take a break and relax. My doctor feels like this is playing a big part in my panic attacks, so maybe the emotional roller coaster ride will slow down. I got on the phone tonight with my mom, a family friend, and my sister and we all listened to gospel music and sang together. It was so much fun. I'm starting to sleep better, didn't have but a couple of the panic attacks before I feel asleep last night. I feel a little more relaxed just knowing there is nothing physically wrong with me causing these spells. Keep praying this thing will get better, and I know it will in his time. Thank You girls, and God Bless you both, luckyfemale

Old 03-10-2005, 05:43 AM   #12
    Marirose
    Veteran
    (female)

Marirose HB User

Good morning everyone! WOW! Even though you had some panic yesterday, Luckyfemale, you handled it great and it sounds like you are doing great too Treetop! I am as well having a great start to the day! God is really at work here! Hope & prayers go out to all you - if you are reading, tooanxious, let us know how you are! I gotta run, but will check in more with you guys later. Keep the prayers coming! They help soooo much! Blessings, Marirose

Old 03-10-2005, 06:00 AM   #13
    Treetop
    (female)

Treetop HB User

Luckyfemale,

I got so excited after hearing your message. I hope you can see and hear the difference in youself. Your spirit sound so much better and more positive. These are the things we need to over anxiety. I hope you all know we can overcome anxiety. My goal isn't for us to learn how to function with anxiety. Girls, we most keep moving forward to overcome this demonic spirit. It is such a blessing to know that you are almost about to receive a child. Also, it so wonderful that you and your doctor recognized that the classes is contributing to your anxiety. Well, continue to hang in their because you have nothing to do. God work is already done in your life. Check with you later Mommy Luckyfemale .

Last edited by Treetop; 03-10-2005 at 05:41 PM.

Old 03-10-2005, 06:04 AM   #14
    Treetop
    (female)

Treetop HB User

Hi Marirose,

I'm glad to hear you sounding so positive and full of energy. I really feel good myself. Well, I have to go make a few runs again today. I will check back with you girls later. Pretty soon we are going to have to change this thread to Already Coped With Anxiety. We are going to have so much positive stuff in our lives and on our mines. We are not going to have time to think about anything negative. Well, check back with you guys later.

Last edited by Treetop; 03-10-2005 at 05:44 PM.

Old 03-10-2005, 10:42 PM   #15
    worriedfemale29
    (female)

worriedfemale29 HB User

Hi girls,
    I think your right Treetop, we are all doing so much better that we might have to change the name of the post. Wouldn't that be great??? I actually was able to sleep last night without anxiety, it was a wonderful feeling. I woke up and said great I made it through. Thank God!!! They decided to change my medicine today when I went back to the doctor for the TB test check to Trazedone. They said this would help me sleep better. I hope so. It feels my heart with joy to see you two doing so good. It helps me to know that this thing is going to pass. I have decided to get off the negative and not allow this thing to effect my life anymore. With God I am bigger than this, and I can get through. Thank you girls for the encouragement and prayers, I really feel they are helping. Two more classes and it shouldn't be long before I have a little one in here. I am so blessed. No more lonely days, or nights. LOL, I won't know what to do. LOL, It's a great feeling just knowing it's coming. Thank God!!! Isn't he wonderful to all of us??? Keep praying Satin out girls, as I will be. Thank you and God bless you, luckyfemale

Closed Thread