It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• I never dreamed anxiety could get this bad!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-09-2005, 12:41 PM   #1
    deepinthought
    (male)

deepinthought HB User
    Red face I never dreamed anxiety could get this bad!!

Hi everyone

I've suffered with anxiety for years and even had the worst "nervous breakdown" of my life about ten years ago in which I was totally helpless and incapacitated for over a month. It was all I could do just to even feed myself and I truly thought I was going mad. I had always believed that when people used the term "anxiety", they simply meant that they were a little nervous about something but I never dreamed that anxiety could actually be THIS bad. Let me tell you, it is a hellish NIGHTMARE!!.

My "bat incident" the other day (please see my posts in the 'general' thread) acted as a "trigger" and caused my anxiety to return in full force. For days now I have been sleeping in very late and waking up in a gloomy, hungover, surrealistic fog. Most mornings, I wake up and my mind is so filled with anxiety, panic, gloom and doom that I just roll over and go back to sleep rather than face the day. It's just too much to bare. I feel like I am going to die and have literally been ticking down the days and trying to take care of my final affairs. All this because a bat flew 20-25 feet over my head about 4 days ago and in my mind bats=rabies=automatic death sentence. No, it did'nt attack me. No it did'nt bite me. Yes, I went to the ER - as silly as I felt. But still I was in the same area so in my mind, this equals "exposure" so again, I have been ticking down the days and you can't imagine (or maybe you can) what it's like to be sitting around here each day just WAITING TO DIE.

The other thing is that I have read, heard (and experienced for myself) that allergies can make your anxiety/panic worse and right now the pollen is unbelievably high in my area. I also suffer from chronic sinusitis, allergic rhinitis and a deviated septum (which I've mentioned before). Now to put this all into context, the other day I watched a movie about a man who had rabies (of all things!) and this man was having problems with blurred vision (caused by the rabies) and now I'm starting to have blurred vision from time to time and it is scaring me to death.

Now, I'm pretty sure I've had blurred vision in the past due to my high blood pressure or because my eyes were a bit misty because of my allergies but my anxiety is telling me that it is due to rabies that my eyes get a bit blurry every now and then. That's what's so horrible about anxiety. Your mind always leaves room for doubt and focuses on the possibility that some horrible disease is causing your symptoms. You also become hyper-aware of every sensation going on in your body and tend to attribute each sensation to a "warning sign".

Let me ask you all something if I may. Do allergies affect your vision in any way and how?.

The other thing I wanted to mention is that about 45 minutes after dinner last night, I got some pretty severe stomach cramps followed by loose bowels (sorry, gross I know). Both my mother and myself suffer from IBS (Irritable Blowel Syndrome) and Lactose Intolerance and I've had bouts like this before but because I read that "stomach pains" can be a symptom of rabies, I was really freaked out last night. Gosh, I hate this )-:

I thought I should mention that I have also been taking Atenolol, Lorazepam, Xanax and last night I was so freaked out that I took 25mg of Atenolol, 0.50mg of Xanax and a tablespoon of NyQuil.

Thank's for all your help!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2005, 08:03 PM   #2
    danilee
    (female)

danilee HB User
    Re: I never dreamed anxiety could get this bad!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by deepinthought
    Hi everyone

I've suffered with anxiety for years and even had the worst "nervous breakdown" of my life about ten years ago in which I was totally helpless and incapacitated for over a month. It was all I could do just to even feed myself and I truly thought I was going mad. I had always believed that when people used the term "anxiety", they simply meant that they were a little nervous about something but I never dreamed that anxiety could actually be THIS bad. Let me tell you, it is a hellish NIGHTMARE!!.

My "bat incident" the other day (please see my posts in the 'general' thread) acted as a "trigger" and caused my anxiety to return in full force. For days now I have been sleeping in very late and waking up in a gloomy, hungover, surrealistic fog. Most mornings, I wake up and my mind is so filled with anxiety, panic, gloom and doom that I just roll over and go back to sleep rather than face the day. It's just too much to bare. I feel like I am going to die and have literally been ticking down the days and trying to take care of my final affairs. All this because a bat flew 20-25 feet over my head about 4 days ago and in my mind bats=rabies=automatic death sentence. No, it did'nt attack me. No it did'nt bite me. Yes, I went to the ER - as silly as I felt. But still I was in the same area so in my mind, this equals "exposure" so again, I have been ticking down the days and you can't imagine (or maybe you can) what it's like to be sitting around here each day just WAITING TO DIE.

The other thing is that I have read, heard (and experienced for myself) that allergies can make your anxiety/panic worse and right now the pollen is unbelievably high in my area. I also suffer from chronic sinusitis, allergic rhinitis and a deviated septum (which I've mentioned before). Now to put this all into context, the other day I watched a movie about a man who had rabies (of all things!) and this man was having problems with blurred vision (caused by the rabies) and now I'm starting to have blurred vision from time to time and it is scaring me to death.

Now, I'm pretty sure I've had blurred vision in the past due to my high blood pressure or because my eyes were a bit misty because of my allergies but my anxiety is telling me that it is due to rabies that my eyes get a bit blurry every now and then. That's what's so horrible about anxiety. Your mind always leaves room for doubt and focuses on the possibility that some horrible disease is causing your symptoms. You also become hyper-aware of every sensation going on in your body and tend to attribute each sensation to a "warning sign".

Let me ask you all something if I may. Do allergies affect your vision in any way and how?.

The other thing I wanted to mention is that about 45 minutes after dinner last night, I got some pretty severe stomach cramps followed by loose bowels (sorry, gross I know). Both my mother and myself suffer from IBS (Irritable Blowel Syndrome) and Lactose Intolerance and I've had bouts like this before but because I read that "stomach pains" can be a symptom of rabies, I was really freaked out last night. Gosh, I hate this )-:

I thought I should mention that I have also been taking Atenolol, Lorazepam, Xanax and last night I was so freaked out that I took 25mg of Atenolol, 0.50mg of Xanax and a tablespoon of NyQuil.
    Thank's for all your help!!
    Hi I dont really have any answers for you. I just wanted to let you know that I am super paranoid also, like I think people may try to slip things in my food or drink, and even GUM! I wont drink anything that I did not break the seal on. Im nuts like that.
    I just wanted to say that I hope you are feeling better, and best wishes to you.

Old 03-12-2005, 05:19 PM   #3
    Und3rc0v3r
    Inactive
    (male)

Und3rc0v3r HB User

I don't know how much it can help for me to say this to you, but you've got to be rational about things like this bat incident. You said yourself that it flew 25 feet above your head. I don't want to make you even more anxious, but you've got more chance that you'll have caught rabies from a rat on the floor around you at the time. {REMOVED}

You identify for yourself that when you've got it into your head that you might be ill you start to notice symptoms all of a sudden. If you want to watch a film that will take things off your mind and make you feel less of headcase and give you a character who displays empathy with your situation, watch the Bruce Willis and Billy Bob Thorton film "Bandits". I am sure there are better films that would illustrate how irrational your fears are, but it's the first that springs to mind

Last edited by ms_mod; 03-13-2005 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Inappropriate comment.

Old 03-12-2005, 05:42 PM   #4
    Tlee1
    (male)

Tlee1 HB User

i thought i had cancer like thats why i was feeling sick so silly how our minds work i think im going crazy at the moment where im all light headed and sickness you cant help thinking the worse. when my grandad died and i had to be rushed in to hospital my anxiety has reached sky high but its just like a rollercoaster really going up and down all the time.

Old 03-12-2005, 08:34 PM   #5
    kalaha
    (female)

kalaha HB User

You don't have rabies. Firstly, most bats don't have rabies (just like most dogs don't have it either). Secondly, it must either break your skin or lick an open sore on your skin. Thirdly, the symptoms you are having are not rabies, because rabies has an incubation period of several days to weeks. Lastly, you would be having fevers and hallucinations, as well as a fear of water and other liquids (to the point that you can't drink). Any time I am worried I get that rumbling gut and then the loose stools. Also, my vision does weird things when I am anxious. The other day my eyes actually crossed, or so it felt. I couldn't focus for about a minute. Rest assured that you are not alone in your worries...take a deep breath. Anxiety is a vicious cycle. However, you don't need to worry about rabies!!!

Closed Thread