It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Anxiety/Paxil vs Exercise

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-15-2005, 12:16 PM   #1
    asuazo
    (female)

asuazo HB User
    Anxiety/Paxil vs Exercise

I was diagnosed with anxiety about two weeks ago and was given paxil 20mg. There was no testing done just told I had anxiety. I feel like something else is wrong and refuse to take the paxil. But have been continuing to get these feelings that can't explain. At night when I am asleep I will be awaken by this feeling of dizzyness/nausea then shortness of breath where I have to gasp for a breath and dry mouth. One day I will feel like normal then next day will get these feelings again. Had them last night and this morning and now have this horrible headache and horrible pain in neck area. I want the doctors to do testing. But if this is anxiety has anyone ever tried to get rid of anxiety with exercise or anything else other than medication. I have read so many negative things about paxil and I don't want to be on medication for the rest of my life. I also feel that I should be strong enough not to need the medication. But lately I don't know if I can handle it. I feel out of control. My brain is fuzzy. Sometimes I can't think straight. Small things irritate me. I used to be able to handle stress. I work in a high stressful job and feel out of control right now. Will the paxil take away all these feelings? I am so confused. I feel like I am going crazy. Anyone out there can give me advice I would appreciate it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2005, 01:33 PM   #2
    NodiGoiterGirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NodiGoiterGirl HB User
    Re: Anxiety/Paxil vs Exercise

You might want to ask about getting your thyroid tested. I had Hashimoto's Thyroiditis which caused emotional issues and a tightness in my throat.
    Not to say this IS your problem, I'm not a doctor, but it is a thought. There is a lot of helpful information on the thyroid boards on this subject. Many people there were previously put on anti-depressants and later found out that their thyroid was messed up. Not that there is anything wrong with being on paxil, my aunt takes a small dose and loves it, but if you aren't comfortable with your diagnosis then ask for more tests.
    Good Luck,
    Nodi

Old 03-15-2005, 02:18 PM   #3
    CFD 333
    Inactive
    (male)

CFD 333 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by asuazo
    I was diagnosed with anxiety about two weeks ago and was given paxil 20mg. There was no testing done just told I had anxiety. I feel like something else is wrong and refuse to take the paxil. But have been continuing to get these feelings that can't explain. At night when I am asleep I will be awaken by this feeling of dizzyness/nausea then shortness of breath where I have to gasp for a breath and dry mouth. One day I will feel like normal then next day will get these feelings again. Had them last night and this morning and now have this horrible headache and horrible pain in neck area. I want the doctors to do testing. But if this is anxiety has anyone ever tried to get rid of anxiety with exercise or anything else other than medication. I have read so many negative things about paxil and I don't want to be on medication for the rest of my life. I also feel that I should be strong enough not to need the medication. But lately I don't know if I can handle it. I feel out of control. My brain is fuzzy. Sometimes I can't think straight. Small things irritate me. I used to be able to handle stress. I work in a high stressful job and feel out of control right now. Will the paxil take away all these feelings? I am so confused. I feel like I am going crazy. Anyone out there can give me advice I would appreciate it.
    When I read that you awaken at night with dizzyness/nausea/shortness of breath the first thing that occurred to me was that you may be suffering from panic attacks. Many people mention that they only seem to, at first, experience them in the middle of the night and are awakened by them. Its like your mind is releasing all the stress and anxiety you have been accumulating during the day at night and in your dreams...you probably aren't even aware of most of these dreams but you subconcious mind is screeming out to you.

First off, it is definitely a great idea to rule out any physical abnormalities you may have. A good physical and blood work will go a long way to ease your fears of having an actual physical problems. If something did show up, at least you know what your dealing with and you can tackle that accordingly. Make sure your doc tests for all possibilities including thyroid, testosterone, cortisol levels, and maybe a heart EKG or treadmill stress test.

Secondly, you need to cut out anything and everything that can add to this problem. I'm willing to bet that you are probably, like most stressed out people at work, a big coffee and soda drinker...if you are all that caffeine needs to go...If you smoke, your going to have to quit that too eventually. If you eat a lot of refined sugars and fried foods guess what?...your gonna have to limit that stuff too. It sucks I know but your health is most important. Your life may need some "spring cleaning" to get rid of all the garbage that will halt your progress; only you know what this is, but get it done.

Thirdly, you need to release all the tention and stress you have been accumulating during work...If you don't, your body and mind will suffer for this and it could lead to serious health problems in the future if you don't get a grasp on it now. Many people like to use exercise as a release and aerobic exercise, in particular, works great for that. There's a lot to choose from here: jogging, playing sports, cycling, or join a yoga class. You get some tremendous health benefits and it will help you feel better about yourself which is always a good thing. Other people also like to meditate. There are literally tons of meditation cd's on the web and in stores that can help teach you to relax. Or you can do it the old fashion way and just sit peacefully in a quiet room and focus on your breathing. Plently of resources on the web to help you get started.

Some people, after all, will require a professional therapist and/or medication. Ultimately, the decision is yours but I would recommend that you at least try the above mentioned ideas. You cannot rely soley on a pill to do it all for you...some of this will require your help. As for the paxil, I wouldn't worry at all about taking this if your doctor feels that you should try it. The drug can help boost your serotonin levels a little which can seriously take the edge off of life and help center you again. You can try it for a little while, if its not for you, just ween yourself off of it little by little and your done. That's it. No big deal.

I understand your concerns about feeling like you should be able to tackle all of this on your own...those are legit concerns however don't beat yourself up about this...its not your fault and you should never feel ashamed to get help for it. Take care of it now before it becomes an even bigger problem. The sooner the better...

Old 03-15-2005, 05:06 PM   #4
    chuzzlewit
    (male)

chuzzlewit HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by asuazo
    Not to scare you, but around '93 I also was awakened with a strange anxious, scarey, hard to describe feeling. As the years went by they became more frequent. Turns out I had a brain tumor causing seizures. You may want to research "partial seizures" or see a neurologist to rule it out.

Old 03-15-2005, 09:09 PM   #5
    theforlorn
    (male)

theforlorn HB User

I agree with Lamotta, this seems more likely than not to be a panic attack. I know how you feel about wanting to tackle the problem yourself without the use or dependancy of a drug. I refuse to take meds, but lately the attacks have returned and affect my schooling. I have considered taking meds so I can focus on my work more, but I am still trying to stave them off myself.

Try not to focus too much on any bodily pains that you may be experiencing most of the time they are short and sharp and generally caused by the stress or panic. Don't convince yourself that there is something else wrong with you until you have been checked out and a doctor (maybe more than one) can confirm it. This will only make matters worse. Panic feeds of your fear and reaction to the initial attack. So try to keep your mind off anything that would trigger them.

Lamotta has given some good advice. If you do develop a panic disorder (or already have) then you will have to make adjustments to your lifestyle to help combat them.

Good luck and the best well being to you.

Old 03-16-2005, 06:50 AM   #6
    Graciecat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

I'd be very leary of a Doctor who tells you that you have an panic/anxiety problem without doing tests to rule other things out.
    Since there's no "Test" for panic/anxiety problems the only way to dx someone is to test for other causes of the symptoms first.

I'm not saying that my Doctor knows everything but, he ran blood tests for high or low blood sugar and thyroid problems plus an EKG and several other tests.....I can't even remember what the other tests were for now... just to make sure there wasn't something else going on.
    When all of the tests came back normal then and only then did he dx me with panic disorder.

If you feel uncomfortable with your Doctors dx then you have every right to demand that he tests for other problems, you're paying him, he's there to help you.
    If he won't do the testing then if it where me I'd find a Doctor who will listen to your concerns and do the other testing.
    Just my two cents.

Last edited by Graciecat; 03-16-2005 at 06:51 AM.

Closed Thread