It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Prozac for social anxiety/panic??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-20-2005, 03:05 PM   #1
    bushleaguer

bushleaguer HB User
    Prozac for social anxiety/panic??

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has had success with Prozac in treating social anxiety and/or panic disorder.

So far I've tried Paxil (made me sick as as dog), Zoloft (didn't hurt but didn't help) and Lexapro (increased my anxiety exponentially). I'm running out of options, and am hopeful that Prozac can help. I haven't found much on their website or elsewhere regarding its efficacy in treating the aforementioned disorders.

I also take Klonopin, which has kept the panic attacks at bay. But my social anxiety (as well as a generalized anxiety) are still present.

Thanks for any experiences or thoughts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2005, 05:07 PM   #2
    flutterby077
    (female)

flutterby077 HB User
    Re: Prozac for social anxiety/panic??

How long did you take these medications before you stopped? Some medications take up to 6 wks to work. ie: I have been on Lexapro for 8 days and every day is better than the next but, my side effects have been nausea, insomnia, increased anxiety flushing of the skin. The worst was the first 5 days and then all of a sudden I started to feel better. I mean I stuck it out. I still get a little nauseas and anxious in extreme stress but before I would not been able to handle anything.

Thea

Old 03-20-2005, 06:10 PM   #3
    bondgrll
    (female)

bondgrll HB User

Yes, I have been taking very low doses of the liquid Prozac and it has helped with anxiety/panic...I've been able to taper down from 1.5MG Xanax XR to .5 MG...low doses of Prozac CAN help....but you have to start low or you'll wig out. I first tried a 20MG pill....and it was horrible. I then waited a few weeks and started back with 2 drops per day and gradually built up to 5MG....

Old 03-20-2005, 09:33 PM   #4
    bushleaguer

bushleaguer HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by flutterby077
    How long did you take these medications before you stopped? Some medications take up to 6 wks to work. ie: I have been on Lexapro for 8 days and every day is better than the next but, my side effects have been nausea, insomnia, increased anxiety flushing of the skin. The worst was the first 5 days and then all of a sudden I started to feel better. I mean I stuck it out. I still get a little nauseas and anxious in extreme stress but before I would not been able to handle anything.

Thea
    Hi Thea,

I was on Paxil briefly...I was put on that after going to the hospital for what I thought was a heart condition (didn't know panic could produce such nasty symptoms). I wasn't told of any sort of start-up side-effects...and after 2 days of non-stop nausea I bailed thinking I was having an allergic reaction. After that I had my first visit with my CBT, and he gave me the entire story regarding SSRIs and start-up effects. But based on my staunch feelings towards gaining weight, he said we'll pass on Paxil because its a "notorious weight gainer" (his words).

We gave Zoloft and Lexapro a full three months before bailing on each. My doctor is well-versed in the meds and wanted to make sure there was ample time given to see if it would help. That's what makes these meds so frustrating...you have to give them 6-8 weeks at least to give them a fair shake. If its not going to work, you've got to wait that long to find that out conclusively....and thus getting better takes longer while spinning on a med-go-round.

Thanks for the input. Hope the Lexapro works out great.

Old 03-20-2005, 09:35 PM   #5
    bushleaguer

bushleaguer HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bondgrll
    Yes, I have been taking very low doses of the liquid Prozac and it has helped with anxiety/panic...I've been able to taper down from 1.5MG Xanax XR to .5 MG...low doses of Prozac CAN help....but you have to start low or you'll wig out. I first tried a 20MG pill....and it was horrible. I then waited a few weeks and started back with 2 drops per day and gradually built up to 5MG....
    Hello,

Thanks for shaing the positive review! I'm on 10mgs of it, and its only been a week....so I have a ways to go I suppose before I'll see improvement if it will help. I'm also taking a benzo, and I'm anxious to get off of it cause of cognitive impairment (it just took me half a minute to dig up the word 'cognitive'....ugh).

Thanks again.

Closed Thread