It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• what are your physical symptoms?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-31-2005, 01:57 PM   #1
    kaykay5
    (female)

kaykay5 HB User
    what are your physical symptoms?

What is everyone experiencing as their physical symptoms of anxiety?
    Here's mine: stomach distress, shakiness, adrenaline surges, rapid heartbeat, dizziness, insomnia, achey legs, ache and heaviness in chest, lost 20lbs in two months because of no appetite, don't feel like going anywhere.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2005, 03:01 PM   #2
    woodfaery
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

woodfaery HB User
    Re: what are your physical symptoms?

Sounds simular to what I have been through. Sorry you are going thru this, I know its no fun! Have you talked to a counselor or your family doctor about this? Sometimes thyroid problems cause these symptoms as well. Be sure to get it checked out. My heart goes out to you and I hope you start feeling well again soon. If you ever want to talk this board is so helpful. I am happy I ran across it because this is an excellent support system here. Let me know how things turn out ok?

Old 03-31-2005, 08:33 PM   #3
    pghprincesse
    (female)

pghprincesse HB User
    Thumbs up Re: what are your physical symptoms?

KAYKAY...I feel for you too!!! out of the symptoms you listed...I have the stomach distress, shakiness, adrenaline surges, rapid heartbeat, sometimes dizziness, achy legs...like for instance...all day long...I've been feeling that "shaky" feeling..."jitters" and this started last night...and I didn't do anything different than I normally do. Now, I DID notice that after not having fast food for 2 weeks, I went out to McDonald's today and got a strawberry milkshake and burgers and noticed that it did NOT agree with me...and that it upset my stomach which in turn made me nauseated, which in turn brought a "panicky" feeling. It's like...all day...I go through the motions of life...but inside...I feel "doom" ...like I'll never be happy again. Does anyone else go through that? I do hope you are feeling better KAYKAY

what are your physical symptoms?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is everyone experiencing as their physical symptoms of anxiety?
    Here's mine: stomach distress, shakiness, adrenaline surges, rapid heartbeat, dizziness, insomnia, achey legs, ache and heaviness in chest, lost 20lbs in two months because of no appetite, don't feel like going anywhere.

Old 03-31-2005, 09:18 PM   #4
    qwerty1970
    (female)

qwerty1970 HB User

Terrible burning throbbing pain in neck, upper back, especially behind shoulderblades and sternum. Back, neck, and sternum always cracking and popping. When I get stressed and anxious I tense up and guess this is what's happening, even when I try to sleep it hurts. Nauseous and shakey especially in the morning. Flutters in chest which make me cough. Constant lump in throat and I sort of hold my breath all of the time. Driving freaks me out and sometimes I have to make a conscious effort to concentrate and breathe. I feel wobbly and detatched and my brain just disconnects when I feel anxiety in a social situation like an interview or even simple questions at work. I can't think straight and I'm surprised I ever found a job after the grueling interviews when I thought I would faint or die from heart failure. I get anxious and shakey over simple things like finding the restroom when we go out, driving to and from work, or simply going grocery shopping. It takes me forever to work up the nerve to call a stranger. I must plan everything out like I'm scripting my moves in my head so I don't do something stupid. I tend to percieve things differently and am prone to making mistakes when anxious (like knowing people park along a certain street but one day when things were backed up it was actually a lane and I mistook them for parked when I made a turn and nearly pulled up beside them in the oncoming lane). I just don't see things as they are and I'm afraid I'll make mistakes so I get freaked out because I might do something wrong so I don't want to drive at all. Stomach problems all the time, nauseous, acid reflux, horrible bubble like pain in esophagus. Most days I wake up feeling like I've been run over by a truck because all my muscles are achey and cramped. I can't relax, even when I sleep. I can't shut my head off and I hurt so I take a sleep aid every night or I would be up all night watching the clock. I used to like to do artwork but that's not even fun anymore. I feel blank and empty most of the time. Some days I almost wish I could get locked away so I wouldn't have to worry about everything all the time and I could avoid the hassles of modern life.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty1970 For This Useful Post:
    timbu (12-09-2010)
    Old 04-01-2005, 07:42 AM   #5
    twanger
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twanger HB User

My symptoms are:
    neck, shoulder and upper back stiffness and pain
    lower back pain
    frequent urination ( feels like an UTI)
    dizziness
    heart throbbing with cough afterwards
    acid reflux with nausea
    stomach bubbling
    tense muscles that cause all kinds of concerns
    arm muscles and leg muscles are tight and sometimes make it impossible to walk
    depression from not being me anymore
    feeling like I am going to die when I wake up
    feeling nervous about going new places or traveling

This is no fun.

Old 04-01-2005, 08:32 AM   #6
    kaykay5
    (female)

kaykay5 HB User

Sorry to hear so many suffering. Is anyone being treated, and with what?
    I take Zoloft 50mg now for 2 weeks and am still adjusting to side effects.
    Also just started Cardizem LA today for rapid heart beat.
    Take Ambien and Alprazlom at night to get some sleep, (gives me about 3 hrs)
    I hate being on so many drugs, I hope to feel normal soon!!
    Good luck to every one else on this board.

Any others out there want to share their symptoms and how they are being treated?

Old 04-01-2005, 03:19 PM   #7
    sahaira
    (female)

sahaira HB User

My Symptoms are:

Dizziness
    Tension Headaches
    Fatigue
    Irritability
    Burning sensation in my body especially my stomach, ears and eye(yes - only one eye -haha! )
    Adrenaline Rushes
    Extreme panic
    Rapid heart rate (tachycardia)
    Hypochondria
    Tremor
    Muscle aches and pain
    Feeling of not being able to breathe and choking
    Tight Chest
    Stomach Ache & Nausea
    Feeling that I am going to pass out
    Fear of everything!!

To help I take .25 mg tablet of xanax a day. I am afraid of all other medications... I have been taking it for just over a week now and feel 75% better already!

Old 04-01-2005, 04:57 PM   #8
    Punkdizzle
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Punkdizzle HB User

racing thoughts
    tight chest
    stomach ache and barfing when it gets bad
    cloudy head... kinda of like when you have a bad head cold
    blurry vision when it gets really bad
    hard time keeping my mind on what i am doing

i am treating this with no meds for now as i can never get past the side effects... so far it sucks pretty bad still but i can see small improvements after forcing myself to push through the anxiety.

Last edited by Punkdizzle; 04-01-2005 at 05:05 PM.

Old 04-01-2005, 07:14 PM   #9
    MMS1
    (male)

MMS1 HB UserMMS1 HB User

First, I wish all of us the strength and good hope to get through this horrible time! My problem started the beginning of February when in a split second and for no apparant reason I lost the hearing in my right ear. A few days later I was diagnosed with "Sudden Hearing Loss" and was near totaly deaf in that ear. Along with the constant loud noises in that ear (tinnitus) I felt like I was suffocating! The long and short of it is, I was put on a steroid (Prednisone) and at the end of the ten day prescription I noticed a little bit of hearing. Within a week or so after that it seemed as though a little more came back, but at the same time, I was noticing this distortion that was near the beginning of the hearing loss, becoming more and more prominant. When I talk, or people are talking around me at anything higher then a low volume, it sounds like my voice or the other voices are coming out of a cheap radio or like speaking through a comb covered with wax paper or tin foil! Very frustrating and annoying!! For the past Three weeks or more, I've noticed no additional improvement in the hearing and at times,, seems Worse!
    I've been on Xanax (.5mg) to get me to sleep, just about from the beginning of this thing. However, it only puts me to sleep for a couple hours then I wake up and have to take a quarter of a tab to get back to sleep! I'm also afraid of taking other meds so I suffer all day with HORRIBLE ANXIETY attacks and NOW also very bad depression and don't take anything (with the exception of Valerian Root, which does'nt do hardly anything) to get me through a long GRUELING day for two months now!!!
    My Horrible Anxiety stems from the fact that even though I've gotten some hearing back,, everything still sounds horribly muted, dull and low and is offset by the distortion (and the tinnitus is still there)! Every problem I've had prior to this or while during this period seems to be AMPLIFIED 50 times over!! Symptoms? Heres a few,,,,

Waking up with a horrible rushing, anxious feeling and jolting out of bed.
    Chronic insomnia.
    Nausea.
    Tenderness in stomach under my chest.
    No appetite,, I've lost FIFTEEN POUND in eight weeks!
    Constant shortness of breath.
    Constant feeling of horseness and the other ear stuffing up.
    Cant FOCUS on anything else but this, can't Function!
    Not wanting to do anything or go anywhere, yet feeling TRAPPED at home!
    Very claustophobic in my vehicle,, hate driving.
    Hate being around crowded or noisey places.
    Constant crying spells.
    Total feeling of HOPELESSNESS!
    Constantly trying to remember how it was before this all happened.
    Non stop complaining about it to my family (taking it's toll on my wife and though my sons don't live at home anymore and are also very sympathetic, they feel helpless and don't know how to help).
    Memories of fun times we'd have now put me in a DEEP DEPRESSION because I don't know when or how I'll ever get through this!!
    People are telling me it's not the hearing loss that's caused this horrible Anxiety, Insomnia, Depression and panic attack and I need to find the underlying cause.
    Well, the Hearing problem IS what put me in this state. It's just that everything else I had on my "plate" before this is serving to MULTIPLY my symptoms and Heavily Aggrevate the problem! The only way I can see getting through this is if the hearing corrects itself, although my ENT Dr. seems to think there's a good chance but it'll just take time,, he's not a fortune teller and I don't know if I can last much longer feeling this way! In the mean time,, I can't see any light at the end of the tunnel!!

I WISH ALL OF US THE BEST!

Old 04-01-2005, 07:46 PM   #10
    Punkdizzle
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Punkdizzle HB User

Quote:
    Memories of fun times we'd have now put me in a DEEP DEPRESSION because I don't know when or how I'll ever get through this!!
    i know that feeling all to well... but it will get better and as odd as it sounds coming from someone like me that has delt with anxiety most of their life.. it is just anxiety.. its nothing to fear.. its a SOB to go through i know but you can overcome it i am sure of it.

when you jolt awake in the morning try just laying in bed for a little bit and relaxing using some deep breathing.. take a deep breath in through your nose hold it for a few sec and then exhale out through you mouth slowly while counting to 10.. focus on the breathing and counting until you feel more calm.. this has helped me alot with the morning jolts. it didnt happen over night but keep at it and it will help.

for me the biggest help with the hopeless feeling/depression from the anxiety is to keep busy even if you dont feel like it, and facing the fears that it causes.. just take it in small steps.. say you dont want to go out to the store because you feel so bad.. give it a try anyway push yourself as far as you can... and if you cant reach the goal that day.. dont worry! try again the next day and try holding out longer then the day before sooner or later you will meet your goal.. it has really helped me on overcoming alot of the fear and hopelessness that comes along with anxiety/depression.. again this will not happen overnight but stick with it and know you can and will beat this.. it will get better! you will have fun again!

another thing i have noticed is anxiety/depression hates to be suprised or caught off guard.. and what i mean by that is if you get an idea in your head to do something that you feel would make you happy or would be fun.. do it asap! it seems (for me anyway) if i jump on the good thoughts right away and dont sit there and think about it the anxiety/depression never gets a chance to take control and ruin it.. it sounds stupid i know but it works for me and helps me look back on that time and say "hey.. i did this before even though i am fighting anxiety/depression and i got through it.. no reason i cant do it again!"

Last edited by Punkdizzle; 04-01-2005 at 07:56 PM.

Old 04-02-2005, 07:10 PM   #11
    MMS1
    (male)

MMS1 HB UserMMS1 HB User

Hi Punkdizzle,
    Thanks for the words of encouragement and tips! I try to keep busy, but can't find enough to keep me busy lately. We're down to one car between my wife and myself and since my business had fallen down "the tubes" over the past couple years, my wife uses the car to get to work. I used to drive her when I had business to tend to, but lately her hours have been cut and she never knows from day to day if she'll be getting off early till almost the last minute. That leaves me "TRAPPED" in a very small house with little going on.
    You're right in the fact that you "have to" push yourself to do even the little things which were'nt an effort prior to this happening! I keep trying but like you say, "it's Hard", especially since the problems that occured as my business was failing caused conditions which even "feeling well" are hard to deal with, let alone being in this state of mind! This morning I tried that breathing thing you suggested. It's just sometimes I have such a hard time staying asleep from hour to hour and then getting myself back to sleep ( I usually take a portion of my Xanax and a Valerian or two) that when I wake up and decide it's hopeless to try to get any more sleep,, I'm already SO HYPER it's virtually impossible to lay there, let alone concentrating on the breathing.
    Sorry,, I realize I sound like a "hopeless case", but I really am trying a little at a time. Like I say, the ear problem is really hard for me to just tune out or ignore and I know that's going to be a big problem as far as my recovery! Currently I am searching, researching and trying different supplements and natural herbs, etc. in search of a way to get sleep naturally while hopefully being able to wean myself of the Xanax, and also something to naturally relax me during the day so I can start concentrating on other things and hopefully return to a functioning state!
    Sorry to sound so impossible! I really APPRECIATE your concern and suggestions, THANK YOU!

MMS1

Old 04-03-2005, 07:59 AM   #12
    Punkdizzle
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Punkdizzle HB User

Nah.. you dont sound like a hopeless case at all... its normal to have those feelings and thoughts with anxiety.. i cant even count the times a day i feel like just giving up or think to myself "oh man it will never end." but its that hope of knowing that this will not last a lifetime because many ppl have overcome it and so will many more.. plus your trying which is a big step in its self.. and we all know you cant do anytihng unless you try so you have already taken the first step which is usually the hardest..

as for something natural to try and help calm you.. give some chamomile tea a try.. (you can get it at just about any supermarket) its not the best tasting stuff in the world kind of tastes like you are drinking flowers lol.. but it does seem to have a calming effect for ppl i use to have a mug of it about an hour before bed when i was having trouble sleeping and it would help zonk me out pretty good.. also try to take all caffeine out of your diet this can help alot if you drink alot of coffee or pop.. also cutting down on sugar helps.. i was drinking alot of coffee and pepsi when this first happened to me and i was having a nasty time getting any rest at night.. couldnt get to sleep until about 4-5am because i just wasnt tired.. then only slept for about 2-3 hrs and woke up feeling very anxious.. i stopped with the coffee and pop and watched my sugar intake and started drinking alot of water about 3-5 glasses a day or anytime i needed a drink of something that i would normaly reach for the junk drinks.. now i am getting tired about 10:30-11pm and falling asleep with in 15-30 min of hitting the pillow.. it took about a week for me to start getting back into a full nights sleep going to bed at earler hours..

just remember you will have your good days and your bad days but dont let the bad ones get ya down they are only temp and will get better.

Old 04-03-2005, 02:48 PM   #13
    popstime
    (male)

popstime HB User

Glad i stumbled on to this post!

Off and on, i get different symptoms with my anxiety/panic. Sometimes i feel anxiety, and sometimes I feel like i have so much energy I could do anything.

At Random:
    Dissassociation or Dislocation (Feeling like im floating in my body, affects touch, vision and hearing)
    Trembles
    Increased Heart Beat
    Feeling like passing out
    EXTREME Tiredness (Hits me like a wave)
    Feeling of doom
    Weakness
    Short term memory loss (Did I just look over that way?)
    Unable to concentrate
    Dizziness
    Head feels like a rock

When Im Nervous:
    Nauseous
    Rapid Heartbeat
    Shaking
    Head feels like a rock
    Shaky Voice
    A few symptoms from above

Other:
    Vertigo
    Ringing for a few seconds in the ear
    Extreme Tired Spells, weak spells

Is it still a panic attack when you only have like one or two symptoms from the "Other" Category? Like, i feel so tired right now, And it happens all the time. Every once in a while i will get a wave of tiredness and then in an hour or so it will pass. I figure a teenager who is taking multivitamins shouldnt get those...

Hope this helps

Old 04-03-2005, 07:45 PM   #14
    MMS1
    (male)

MMS1 HB UserMMS1 HB User

Hi Punkdizzle,
    I must be on your wave length. Just a couple days ago I picked up some Chamomille tea. I've done countless hours surfing on the web, reading up on numerous "herbal" remedies, supplements as well as Vitamins for "Anxiety, depression and Insomnia"! For a while I was using an herbal mixture of "Valerian root, Passion Flower, Hops and Chamomille" I would take one or two during the day to try and help the anxiety and depression and a couple with my Xanax at bedtime, then another an hour later when I'd wake up, etc., etc. etc.! At first the tablets would take the "edge" off just a "little" and for a Very short while. Then after not even a week, I must have built up a tolerance to this Herb mixture because I really felt Little to No effect after then!
    I picked up the Chamomille tea after reading quite alot on it's "calming" and "soothing" properties. I've already brewed several cups since I bought it, however it does very, very little to help relax me. I must have a Really High tolerance to natural relaxants or my Anxiety, depression and insomnia are so Out of control that almost nothing will work! Even the Xanax that I only take to "supposedly" help me sleep (yea, an hour at a time at the risk of taking more and more to achieve even a partial nights sleep) does'nt seem to be working any more. For the past three nights, I've taken my usual (.5mg tab or 2/3 of a tab) and where as a month ago I would sleep 3 - 3 1/2hrs now, I get less then 2 hours from that dose. Then I wake up and take another quarter of a tab or so, to fall back to sleep (again, supplementing it with a Valerian capsule or two)!
    Last night was the worse!! I read that their has been alot of success weaning off Xanax by using Melatonin. Following a weaning schedule I read, I decided to take my usual dose of Xanax with some Melatonin. Result,,, I was up the whole night and finally had to down another whole Xanax just to get 1 1/2 hour of sleep!! I don't know if it was because I did'nt take a high enough dose of Melatonin or if "sleeplessness" is a side effect of it? Now I'm afraid the Xanax is'nt going to help at all any more unless I up the dose!!! Plus, I don't know how I'm going to get off the Xanax or what to take in it's place outside of prescription DRUGS. I don't want to get any more "dependant" on it since it really is'nt doing much to help, yet I CAN'T sleep without it or something more effective and safer in it's place.
    What's really sad is, I have'nt had any coffee (caffiene), any pop, sugar or any other food associated with insomnia since my ear problem started over two months ago. Before this problem which has turned my life into a TURMOIL, I drank alot of coffee (always with sugar) a moderate amount of pop and alot of other things which are thought to be really BAD for sleeping and stress,, yet,,, never had a problem getting to sleep, staying asleep and as bad as my life has been for quite a while,, did'nt need any natural relaxants (never heard of any of them before this) let alone prescription medication to get to (try to) get sleep! Plus, I never had Anxiety attacks, Panic or depression prior to my medical problem1 As the night goes on,,I get more and more anxious about taking my med to get to sleep, in fear that I'm getting less and less results from it!
    Guess I am getting to be a HOPELESS case, ey!

Thanks again for plugging away on my behalf, it's still nice to know someone is out there who understands and is willing to try and help. You really have been trying and I REALLY appreciate that!!

MMS1

Last edited by MMS1; 04-03-2005 at 07:50 PM.

Old 04-04-2005, 07:55 AM   #15
    Punkdizzle
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Punkdizzle HB User

so the trigger that sparked the anxiety was the problem with your ear?
    let me ask you this then.. when you found out about your ear did the anxiety come right away or did it take a little while of you worring about it before it turned into a problem? also was the anxiety easer to control at the onset without meds? or was it always uncontrollable?

you def sound like your going through alot of the same things i have in the past which is why i keep plugging away at ya i have been there and i know how bad it can feel and i know there is a light at the end of the tunnel for you.

Closed Thread