It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Lump in throat symptom

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-04-2005, 04:47 PM   #1
    LonelyTraveler

LonelyTraveler HB User
    Unhappy Lump in throat symptom

I know this "lump-in-the-throat" sensation is supposed to be a common symptom of anxiety and GERD but is it normal for there to be a slight amount of pain or soreness along with the "lump" feeling when you swallow and for it to only be on the left or right side?

Also, I have been under intense stess for the past month because I have anxiety, panic and hypochondria and I am terrified of having a disease. I actually felt half-way decent this morning for a change but then I got a letter with info about rabies from someone I had emailed a few days ago and thats when I got adrenilin surges, intense fear, racing heart, feeling wobbly and mortified. Then my throat started to constrict really bad and get lumpy and because throat probs are a symptom of rabies, I freaked out even MORE!!.

Then, my totally unsympathetic and wise-guy friend/roommate tries to tell me it's all in my head, that I just "thrive" on inventing new diseases and has all these lame little phrases from the 50's (ie; "you have to think yourself happy!", etc) and when I spent an hour explaining in detail to him why I am the way I am, he makes a few sarcastic remarks and then the next thing I know he's blabbing on the phone and could care less about me. My dad is the same way. You come to the people you trust most in your greatest hour of need and they just totally blow you off, treat you like dirt and even poke fun at you. Unbelievable.

The following user gives a hug of support to LonelyTraveler:
    royal10 (12-30-2010)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2005, 06:17 PM   #2
    qwerty1970
    (female)

qwerty1970 HB User
    Re: Lump in throat symptom

I get that too and it does hurt a LOT. Sometimes it feels like it hurts all the way up my neck and into my jaw. Other times it will start as a lump in my throat and it sort of works it's way down my esophagus and causes terrible, terrible, pain right below my ribs. My dad used to get a prescription for diazepam which helped a bit (our whole family is a bunch of nerves) when it was too bad and I never abused it, but my current doctor won't give me anthing but antidepressants which don't do anything at all. In fact they make me even more tense. I think relaxants are the way to go for this if you can find any doctor who doesn't get paranoid about prescribing them. I mean, why make the relaxants if you're not going to give them to someone who obviously needs them??

Old 04-04-2005, 07:29 PM   #3
    fullstride
    (male)

fullstride HB User

Your not alone, I pretty much felt the exact same way. I have that lump in my throat and when I eat thick foods it hurts going down. I was convinced I had some sort of disease, and I went to the doctor and everything turned out to be fine. He told me i was having anxiety, but i wasnt satisified. To make a long story short i went back to my doctor a bunch of times, and when it got a little worse he told me i had acid reflux. So i think that the anxiety led to acid reflux. Lump in throat is a symptom of both.My advice to you is not to look up your symptoms online you'll just make yourself worry more .I am young so my mother told my doctor how i look up my symptoms online and he told me not to do that because you'll have ever disease known to man. To me its become a mind over matter issue, with having tests done and everything being okay i have to convince myslef i am healthy and im getting close. I wrote a post in the GERD boards about the being worried constantly issue. Another point my doctor made to me was, how i had been coming to him for about a month, and if i had a serious condition it would have gotten worse by now. Anyway i hope this can help you.

Old 04-05-2005, 12:25 AM   #4
    shnswms
    Inactive
    (male)

shnswms HB User

You are not alone. I had the lump in throat sensation quite a bit for many months. It ended up being a result of anxiety and my GERD. It eventually went away and that was a great feeling. I think alot of people have anxiety from the thought of being diagnosed with some terrible disease. I am definately one of them. Reading the internet for your symptoms probably isn't the best course. You can scare yourself and make yourself believe you have every disease there is. Your mind can make you have all kinds of symptoms, believe me I am a very guilty party. I have taken 8 trips to the doctors office since October thinking I had every kind of cancer, kidney disease you name it. Even went to the hospital for ultrasounds and upper gi's. The worst I have come up with is GERD and high blood pressure resulting from such anxiety. I am now learning to stop trying to diagnose myself and if something really is wrong let the doctor handle it. First key is to stop reading symptoms and such online. Good luck to you.

Old 04-05-2005, 07:56 AM   #5
    pferg101
    (female)

pferg101 HB User

For me, my chest hurts & lump in my throat. My doc said to try pepcid AC for a few weeks to see if that helps! It has a little bit, but the chest pain has not totally gone away! I hope it get s better for you.

pferg

Old 04-05-2005, 09:25 AM   #6
    CANEY GIRL
    (female)

CANEY GIRL HB User
    Question Re: Lump in throat symptom

I Too Get Thae Lump In My Throat.i Also Get Palpitations In My Throat And Neck Especially After Eating Or Laying Down.any One Heard Of This.thanks

Old 04-05-2005, 02:37 PM   #7
    pferg101
    (female)

pferg101 HB User

Sounds like acid reflux. Talk to you doctor and get a checkup to make sure it's not anything else. Have you tried taking pepcid AC to see if it gets better or goes away. My doc said to try it for 2 weeks and let him know! If it is reflux and you really irritate you echphogus then it can take awhile to heal!

pferg

Old 04-05-2005, 07:37 PM   #8
    LonelyTraveler

LonelyTraveler HB User

Thank's for all the responses!. Yes, it just started maybe a week ago and certain "triggers" (ie; looking up symptoms) would trigger it. I took a Lorazepam and some other meds this evening and plan to make an appointment to see a therapist soon so I can finally get a grasp on this thing. Just wondering something though...I went through a month of intense stress and anxiety leading up to this and I'm a raging hypochondriac. Could tons of stress be the cause (I mean if it builds up over a long period of time)?. I ate a few PB&J sandwitches this evening and the lump/constricted feeling was'nt as bad. Thank's again

Last edited by LonelyTraveler; 04-05-2005 at 07:39 PM.

Old 04-05-2005, 09:29 PM   #9
    shnswms
    Inactive
    (male)

shnswms HB User

Yes, a lump in throat sensation can be the direct result of anxiety and stress. Eating something temporarily relieves the symptoms because you are using your throat muscles.

Old 04-12-2005, 04:47 PM   #10
    syn
    (female)

syn HB User

OMG hello throat lump people lol ;/ I have the same thing going on over here.. I freak myself out and look stuff up online too.. constantly feeling this lump in my throat is driving me insane.. I swear I have like throat cancer or something.. I am sure it is nothing.. I havent even been to the dr for this anxiety thing although Im sure you all will say I should.. I just dont want anyone to think Im crazy.. Is there anyway to make this lump go away?

Old 04-12-2005, 05:18 PM   #11
    pferg101
    (female)

pferg101 HB User

Yep, anxiety can cause reflux. with the throat thing and stress causing chest pain!! That's what I have been having panic attacks with chest pain. I tried pepcid ac, helped a little. Now I am taking zantac 150, this is helping more! I can actually breath without my chest hurting! Of course you should go to the doctor and rule out anything else!! I am also taking xanax for the anxiety! I don't want to be hooked on that but, my Mom is dieing of ALS & that is what is stressing me out! Gotta ppick my poison right now!

Pam

Old 04-13-2005, 06:32 AM   #12
    primavera
    (female)

primavera HB User

The lump in the throat can result from a number of things, stress, reflux problems and thyroid promblems, and also if the muscles around your neck are very tense. I think you should see your GP about it and discuss your other symptoms as well.
    I've got that lump in the throat sensation along with tachycardia, insomnia, plus I'm thirsty all the time, and my GP wants my thyroid checked out. It's a simple blood test.
    I have no pain though.
    Hope it works out for you!

Old 04-18-2005, 01:33 PM   #13
    Mark 65
    (male)

Mark 65 HB User

Hello everyone,i too cannot believe there are other people out there that are having these "lump in the throat" sensations also.I have been having this lump thing for two years now,and sometimes think i have a terrible desease,my consultant says it is GERD and prescribed Nexium. I am not sure if this works for me,sometimes i take my Nexium and i still have the lump sensation and sometimes i dont take the Nexium and dont have the sensation so bad...it just doesnt add up. MY consultant is always quick to assure me that if it was something serious i wouldnt be around now,this is reassuring i know but i am still stuck with this horrible "lump in the throat sensation" My doctor has recently prescribed me with A beta Blocker because he says i am suffering from ANXIETY. Can anxiety really be the cause of my symptoms? The symptoms always disapear when i go to bed,but then they always return during the course of the next day, this thing is really driving me nuts,can anyone relate to my symptoms?

Old 04-18-2005, 02:14 PM   #14
    pferg101
    (female)

pferg101 HB User

I agree that getting rid of the anxiety may help the reflux go away! My anxiety/panic attacks were a result of taking Geodon! I had extreme panic attacks and chest pain which I beleive was esophaguial reflux! Once the medicine was out of my system it took another week for the reflux to go away! So, yes. Treat the anxiety & see what happens!

It is a scary feeling! I had the chest pain & a lump feeling that I kept swolling to try & get rid of!

Are you on any other medicines?

pferg

Closed Thread