It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• OCD because of my breathing?? PLEASE READ.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-07-2005, 01:18 AM   #1
    Pez Dee Spencer

Pez Dee Spencer HB User
    OCD because of my breathing?? PLEASE READ.

I am a 28 year old male. Over the past few days I cant stop concentrating on my breathing. It is ALL I can think about and when I cant get I deep breath (which I am constantly trying to do) the anxiety kicks in which makes it even harder to breathe and before you know it im in a full blown panic attack.
    Last night I went to the ER and they did an ekg and oxygen saturation test and all was ok they gave me an ativan and I kinda chilled out and was able to go home and get some sleep. At the hospital they said it was just anxiety. Im pretty sure they are right because if I get distracted for a few minutes (which as been rare the past few days) and then try to take a breath I can usually get it easily. They gave me a script for some ativan and I have been taking them today. I am chilled out but I still obsess over my breathing. I dont know what is causing this or how to make it go away.
    Well this evening I started having trouble getting a breath and after a few minutes of trying i still couldnt get it. So I went to the ER of another hospital.
    Of course I caught my breath on the way there but I went anyway just to be sure. they did ekg, chest xray, and said everything was normal and sent me home.
    Well here I am. Still obsessed about my breathing. Every 2 or 3 minutes I feel this compulsive need to get a deep breath and If I dont i start flipping out. In the hospital tonight I acually felt kind of Ok for awhile till the doc said he could find nothing and after I left It all started up again.
    This is insane I feel like a crazy person. WHY CANT I JUST FORGET ABOUT MY BREATHING??? I hope someone on here can help this is driving me CRAZY. Ive been a wreck the past few days.
    About a year ago I was diagnosed with palpitations and stressed over them for quite awhile and thought that was bad. Well at least with the palpitations I only filipped out when I had them. Now I filp out every 5 minutes or so If I dont get a deep breath.
    What should I do??? Can anyone help??? If nothing else pray for me that I wll stop obsessing over this.
    Thanks.
    Pez

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2005, 01:57 AM   #2
    theforlorn
    (male)

theforlorn HB User
    Re: OCD because of my breathing?? PLEASE READ.

Well first you have to convince yourself that you, and your breathing is perfectly normal. If you keep feeling a need to montior your breathing then you will not be able to forget about it.

Try doing some excercises or something that will make you breathe more naturally. I know that probably doesn't sound like a good idea because your worried about not getting enough oxygen just hanging out, so working out might only make it worse, but ya never know.

Otherwise you just have to tell yourself that there is no need to focus on your breathing, there never has been before this and there shouldn't be now. There is plenty of oxygen in the air you shouldn't have to worry about taking deeper breaths.

Not sure what else to suggest here. Seems like a mental thing to me.

Old 04-14-2005, 10:27 AM   #3
    hollymbk
    (female)

hollymbk HB User

I am having the same problem as far as, focussing on my breathing. All day I keep taking a deep breath, and I feel like there's not enough oxygen in the air. My extremities also feel a bit cold. I have severe allergies, and this started when spring started. I also have had hives, asthma, swelling, and bruising. So for the first season in ten years, I have my inhaler, and am taking allegra, an antihistamine.

My allergist said that, feeling like you can't breath deep enough is anxiety. I sorta believe that, but, the antihistamines, seem to help. I think what is happening is that my whole body is irritated and a little swollen with fluid, this makes my veins in my neck and chest and brain, feel full, sorta tingly, a bit like the feeling of something being too tight around my neck. Then I start feeling like I might be not getting enough air, but, really I am just swollen and breathing too deeply.

I think when I feel the tightness I tend to start hyperventilating, which gives me the feeling I need more air, when it is really the opposite. One way to chick is to breathe into a paper bag to see if you feel better.

I have pollen and food allergies, Just going outside can make this worse. I tend to associate it with asthma.

Old 04-15-2005, 09:01 AM   #4
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to pez dee
    your breathing must be OK or you would have died in your sleep by now

the ativan will help by relaxing your muscles and mind for a while, being massaged will help, also try a long soak in a hot bath and do some deep breathing in the bath

have they checked for asthma, it can be caused by stress

Old 04-20-2005, 08:54 AM   #5
    Bluboi
    (male)

Bluboi HB User

First of all, I know what you are experiencing. Ive had the same problem for about 8 years. Some periods are bad some are good. Ive had to learn how to cope with it...and sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesnt.

To get practical, heres some advice that might help u get through it:

1. Take one long breath (4 seconds) hold your breath (8 seconds) and exhale (8 seconds).

2. Drinking cold water also seems to calm down the feeling

3. Sit through it (in a terapeutic way), try to feel and learn how its affecting you and what parts of the body is involved. Ive often experienced as an abstract feeling where i just "dont get enough air" and found myself walking around in anxiety, laying down, standing up, sitting down etc etc instead of REALLY try to feel what is goin on and what is not. Ive learned (yeah really that it wont kill me

Fred

Old 04-20-2005, 12:09 PM   #6
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

theres nothing wrong with taking deep breaths, its natural
    asthma should be checked for with breathing problems

Old 04-20-2005, 12:59 PM   #7
    kingam
    (male)

kingam HB User

i get this all the time... especially when im driving on the highway... i sit there, and observe my breathing.. sometimes i even get confused about "was that an inhale or an exhale? what if i get confused and cant breathe?!"

the thing that helps me... is realize this... if you were to hyperventilate and pass out, your body would regulate itself and your breathing would return to normal... you cannot suffocate yourself by controlling your breathing...

something else that helps: if you take long deep breaths, you cant pass out... you cant hyperventilate... so get your breathing down slower... take controlled breaths... and TRY to relax...

when i tell my shrink about this he always asks me about probabilities... ive had this for 4 or 5 years, i havent passed out yet from it... i havent died in my sleep yet from it.. so what are the chances of that happening? zero.

Old 04-28-2005, 08:22 AM   #8
    jayzturf
    (male)

jayzturf HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pez Dee Spencer
    I am a 28 year old male. Over the past few days I cant stop concentrating on my breathing. It is ALL I can think about and when I cant get I deep breath (which I am constantly trying to do) the anxiety kicks in which makes it even harder to breathe and before you know it im in a full blown panic attack.
    Last night I went to the ER and they did an ekg and oxygen saturation test and all was ok they gave me an ativan and I kinda chilled out and was able to go home and get some sleep. At the hospital they said it was just anxiety. Im pretty sure they are right because if I get distracted for a few minutes (which as been rare the past few days) and then try to take a breath I can usually get it easily. They gave me a script for some ativan and I have been taking them today. I am chilled out but I still obsess over my breathing. I dont know what is causing this or how to make it go away.
    Well this evening I started having trouble getting a breath and after a few minutes of trying i still couldnt get it. So I went to the ER of another hospital.
    Of course I caught my breath on the way there but I went anyway just to be sure. they did ekg, chest xray, and said everything was normal and sent me home.
    Well here I am. Still obsessed about my breathing. Every 2 or 3 minutes I feel this compulsive need to get a deep breath and If I dont i start flipping out. In the hospital tonight I acually felt kind of Ok for awhile till the doc said he could find nothing and after I left It all started up again.
    This is insane I feel like a crazy person. WHY CANT I JUST FORGET ABOUT MY BREATHING??? I hope someone on here can help this is driving me CRAZY. Ive been a wreck the past few days.
    About a year ago I was diagnosed with palpitations and stressed over them for quite awhile and thought that was bad. Well at least with the palpitations I only filipped out when I had them. Now I filp out every 5 minutes or so If I dont get a deep breath.
    What should I do??? Can anyone help??? If nothing else pray for me that I wll stop obsessing over this.
    Thanks.
    Pez
    I had the same problem about 5 years ago, and I never thought I would get through it; i had panic attacks over my breathing; one day I was driving and it felt like i was choking, and I ran off the road, and ran directly into a store and asked them to call 911. The emergency squad said I hypervenilated, but every since that evening, I had trouble breathing, and had spent many more nights in the emergency room to only get a brown bag and being told to relax "you're hyperventilating.

So I was put on zloft and klonipin, and about 4 or 5 months later i had my breathing under control. At some point I stopped the medication, and the problem was gone. But today if I get stressed, I will start to experience some of those breathing symptoms, like feeling like you're smothered or rapid breathing, but I understand whats going on and I don't panic, so I can now manage the problem.

Don't worry, you just need some meds. to get you over this temporary road block, and you'll be just fine.

Closed Thread