It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Lexapro verses Paxil

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-08-2005, 08:12 AM   #1
    ZLucia
    (female)

ZLucia HB User
    Lexapro verses Paxil

Hi everyone, I am new to this board and had a question. Recentely my spouse was served by his ex wife for full custody of the children, which they currently and have had for years joint custody. She wants to quit her job and wants more child support, so she is fighting for full custody. This has put us both under tremendous stress for the last few months, and I notice I am starting to be more angry and handle things with my child more abruptly then the other children. I went to my doctor and was crying saying I needed something to help me concentrate and be more reasonable while we go through this, what our lawyers said may take a year. In her office I was crying because it was only a few days after being served. But, I haven't cried lately. I am very anxious, nervous and worried but more so I notice I snap and over react to even the littelest things and don't want this to hurt my sons confidence. I feel it may do that for certain reasons. So, my Dr. put me on Lexapro but as I did research {REMOVED}and saw that Paxil may be a better choice. That my symptoms seemed more applicable to Paxil then lexapro. but when I discussed this with my doctors she insisted that 3 weeks on Lexapro wasn't enough and that I would be more calmer and even keeled as I stayed on. Instead I just feel dizzy and more stressed... Has anyone been on Lexapro, does anyone know that it does eventually help you to be more calm.. or has anyone been on Lexapro and switched to Paxil and think the benefits are better that way. I am usually an uupbeat person and my new bad attitude and stress towards my family has been bad for all of us. When this is over I hope I can be myself without help but after a long period of seeing how I am starting to react to things, I think I need a little help. Can anyone tell me if they heard Lexapro being a good way to be more reasonable? The ineternet seems to only talk about depression and that Paxil is more of a choice for "tension".? Any help will be great thanks!

Last edited by msmod; 04-08-2005 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Please don't reveal anything about yourself...or family members that may add undue weight to your opinion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2005, 12:14 PM   #2
    Paxilhead
    Inactive
    (male)

Paxilhead HB User
    Re: Lexapro verses Paxil

Paxil is the most potent SSRI, and I think it's better than Lexapro. Paxil is better designed and has been out longer (since about 1992). There is a recall going on now with the CR versions, but the regualr paxil is still available in 10's, 20's, 30's & 40's........If the lexapro is just not doing it for you in the next few weeks, switch to 20 of Paxil. (30 if your really stressed)....

Old 04-08-2005, 03:35 PM   #3
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

welcome zlucia
    paxil and lexapro are both prozac type meds or antidepressants and all these meds can be very helpful for stress and anxiety and you dont need to be also depressed
    they tale 2 to 6 weeks to work and until then the early side effects can be a nusiance, lexapro is newer and I would prefer it to paxil
    an alternative would be to exercise more, learn to relax and take long walks, this may help as much

some people also get much help from church and religion in your circumstances
    stay with us

Old 04-08-2005, 09:25 PM   #4
    Mushroomie
    (female)

Mushroomie HB User

Okay here is my story hope this might help you out a bit. I took Paxil for one day I was fine when I first took it and then about 2hrs later I went into full panic attack and I had to take real short breaths (like panting) I think I had a very bad allergic reaction to it. It was really really bad! So I stopped that right away. So any ways I decided to go to a pdoc then a regular doc and try to get this anxiety under control he put me on Lexapro 10mg for the first few months then bummed it up to 20mg after that. The first 2 weeks were hell but I stuck it out and now I feel great. I have been on it sinse March of 04 I also take another anti depressent for sleep Remeron 45mg I have really bad insomnia caused by my anxiety so it helps alot of sleep. So if you ask me yes Lexapro is great for anxiety for me personally, If I am in a situation where my anxiety might kick in the lex works and I can get threw the situation raccionaly and clam. I like Lex here!!!!

Hope this helps
    Mushroomie

Old 04-08-2005, 10:19 PM   #5
    qwerty1970
    (female)

qwerty1970 HB User

Personally I wouldn't say that Lexapro helped me much with my anxiety and tension, in fact it made me twitchy and more tense. I could say that my mood improved a little, mindwise but put me in an uncomfortable middle ground of never too happy and never too sad, sort of indifferent, but somehow it couldn't make me less tense or anxious, which is what I really need. You can be sad and anxious, and happy and anxious. Either way you're anxious. I went off of it after 3 months, and figured if I'm going to still be torqued up about stuff, I might as well be able to feel some sort of emotion at least. But that's just my experience, and I haven't gone back to the dr. yet because that stresses me out, and she's not too keen on anything but antidepressants. It may work like a dream for you though...

Old 04-09-2005, 07:54 PM   #6
    Paxilhead
    Inactive
    (male)

Paxilhead HB User

Quote:
    I took Paxil for one day I was fine when I first took it and then about 2hrs later I went into full panic attack and I had to take real short breaths (like panting) I think I had a very bad allergic reaction to it. It was really really bad! So I stopped that right away.
    Extremely rare........Considering it takes about 14 doses to take affect.

Last edited by Paxilhead; 04-09-2005 at 07:55 PM.

Old 04-09-2005, 09:19 PM   #7
    Mushroomie
    (female)

Mushroomie HB User

That may be true but that was my personal experence with it. It just scared the heck out of me thats all I know. I was just letting people know what I went threw with it. I am not knocking it, Different antidepressents work for different people. I am glad that is working for you. I am happy the lex is working for me

Old 04-09-2005, 09:41 PM   #8
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User

I have been on Lexapro 10 mg for a month now. I actually started feeling better in a matter of a few days. I know they say it take at least a couple of weeks to start working, but I really did feel much better within a few days. I didn't have panic attacks, but felt anxious and depressed all the time. I don't feel anything but completely happy and (normal) for a change. I haven't had any experience with any other AD's. This is the first one I have ever taken. I am going through menopause and had gotten so badly depressed and axious, I just couldn't take it any more. It has made me a new person! I hope it works for you. If it doesn't try something else. Everyone is different.

Old 04-09-2005, 11:09 PM   #9
    56carnival
    (male)

56carnival HB User

Paxilhead or anybody else that can answer.
    Why was Paxil CR recalled? I took it for awhile and gained 20 lbs quick. I also got High Blood pressure during this time. I quit Paxil CR and had to be put on 2 blood pressure meds and I am know taking Effexor with great results. Anyway just wondering if Paxil CR was recalled for causing high Bp?

Thanks Guys

Old 04-10-2005, 05:34 PM   #10
    Jugi
    (female)

Jugi HB User

I just read that it was pulled over "quality control" issues because the pills can split apart, so that you might get a pill (or part of a pill?) that has no active ingredient, or with the active ingredient but without the time-release effect. No idean as to how likely this is or whether it has actually happened to anyone. If you do a search on the topic you'll come up with some articles and news releases on what happened, I don't want to plagiarize anyone here!

Old 04-10-2005, 06:08 PM   #11
    Paxilhead
    Inactive
    (male)

Paxilhead HB User

Yeah, the above response is correct, I have also heard it may not be back on the shelves this year, or possibly not at all. (however, I think it will be back, GSK will lose to much money w/out it)..........

Old 04-11-2005, 04:50 PM   #12
    adam2000
    Veteran
    (male)

adam2000 HB User

Wow some of the pills may not have had the full amount of the medication? How far back does this go? I was fine on paxil for a long time and within the last year have become worse...

Old 04-12-2005, 12:36 PM   #13
    worrywort
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB Userworrywort HB User

I just wanted to say I had great luck with lexapro! everyone is different. I never tryed paxil. I tried effexor, prozac, celexa, klonopin.ativan and lexapro was the only one that helped.
    carly

Old 04-12-2005, 08:10 PM   #14
    Stitcher317
    (female)

Stitcher317 HB User

Did you gain any weight on lexapro? My Dr. just gave me an Rx for it. I currently take Ativan and have been tapering off of it. The ativan is making me really depressed

Also did you get any other side effects starting out on the lexapro? Nausea? I am not good with anything that makes me feel sick to my stomach.....I've been considering trying it at a very low dose to start and then build up slowly.

Thanks everyone....

Old 04-12-2005, 08:29 PM   #15
    worrywort
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB Userworrywort HB User

To be honest, I didn't gain any weight or feel sick to my stomach, Prozac made me very sick! The only side effect is that it does lower your sex drive, I really didn't care as long as I felt better, But it can be a problem for some. My doc said you can mix it with wellbutrin and that really helps the sex drive effect. other than that I loved it and I was only on 10mg. I didn't like ativan either.
    Carly

Closed Thread