It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• How diff is panic attacks & a seizure?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-08-2005, 07:32 PM   #1
    sahaira
    (female)

sahaira HB User
    How diff is panic attacks & a seizure?

How are panic attacks and seizure's different? Two of the diseases that I always think I have is MS and some sort of seizure disorder. I think this is because sometimes during high panic/anixety times I go through periods where everything looks bright. Like everything is 5 shades lighter. I have heard of people with a seizure disorder having an "aura" during an attack - any ideas or info on this? I went to have an EEG done but I freaked out during the test and couldnt go through with it.

Anyone know the difference??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2005, 02:40 AM   #2
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    Re: How diff is panic attacks & a seizure?

can be difficult to tell the difference and you may need some tests
    vision changes do happen from anxiety and panic attacks

Old 04-09-2005, 06:07 AM   #3
    latte163
    (female)

latte163 HB User

Seizures are an electrical imbalance in your brain. Panic attacks are a result of increased adrenaline response and your body's reaction to it. Big difference, despite some symptoms overlapping. Ask your doctor to explain the difference...I'm sure he/she would be happy to do so and would probably give you more precise information.

Old 04-09-2005, 06:59 PM   #4
    Paxilhead
    Inactive
    (male)

Paxilhead HB User

Quote:
    How are panic attacks and seizure's different? Two of the diseases that I always think I have is MS and some sort of seizure disorder. I think this is because sometimes during high panic/anixety times I go through periods where everything looks bright. Like everything is 5 shades lighter. I have heard of people with a seizure disorder having an "aura" during an attack - any ideas or info on this? I went to have an EEG done but I freaked out during the test and couldnt go through with it.

Anyone know the difference??

Go and get a complete work-up, EEG, bloodwork, etc...Then there may be no need to worry and your anxieties may go away on it's own........

Last edited by Paxilhead; 04-09-2005 at 06:59 PM.

Old 04-09-2005, 08:14 PM   #5
    sahaira
    (female)

sahaira HB User

I have had an MRI which
    was normal and blood work is normal. Thank you for responding!

Old 04-10-2005, 05:56 AM   #6
    tonypk
    (male)

tonypk HB User

sahaira, I wouldnt worry about it then. you're probably confusing an "aura" with feeling lightheadedness. Maybe not though haha, I dont really know. What you've described to me is probably anxiety, if you had an MRI, that means your brain is good. That's the best thing you could ever hear from a doctor. lol, and blood work is the second most important, That's terminal illnesses, and you checked out in both! So no worries, I'm sure you'll feel better soon enough.

Old 04-12-2005, 10:01 PM   #7
    oneil74
    (male)

oneil74 HB User

i had a seizure 8 yrs. ago before i think i even knew what a panic attack was. the seizure was a result of a blood vessel in my brain that had {REMOVED}in exploded, i knew i'd had the worst headache ever for about three days {REMOVED}. since then i've had panic attacks that usually mimic the symptoms prior to a seizure, but no seizure. i guess just the fear of my body completely freakin out on me and not having any control triggered the panic attack button in my brain and believe me my brain pushes that button like the freakin rapid fire on galaga. after all, most panic attacks revolve around a persons fear of losing control or dying suddenlly, falling down, passing out or any other kind of ridiculous {REMOVED}that hopefully and probably isn't happening. let's face it, if our anxiety based fears were justified then we wouldn't be the one's with problem, right? right? with that said, you will definitely know if you have an actual seizure. Here's how mine happened-WARNING: graphic content ahead. Don't read if u think it will trigger anxiety.
    i was in college 22yrs. old. i thought it was a normal lazy Sunday. I was wrong. At some friends' apartment sitting on a couch, about 4 friends and myself about to eat some dinner that we had just picked up. earlier that day along with the excruciating headache, i noticed that i had a pretty hard time tying my shoes, driving and carrying things, but hea no big deal i had no anxiety. while eating i turned to look at a painting. When i tried to look away i couldn't. My head was locked in the position looking at the painting. there began to be a ringing in my ears. My right hand, followed by the whole arm began to shake uncontrollably. my shaking hand and arm moved slowly into my field of vision, as i could not turn my head. i used my left hand to grab the shaking right. A few seconds after my left grabbed the right i passed out. waking up in an ambulance the question of "do you know what day it is" rivaled nuclear physics. after a 5 day hospital stay for observation and tests i was released back into the world to fight on the front lines against panic attacks. Du du du dunt du du

Last edited by msmod; 04-13-2005 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Please use appropriate language. If you have to use stars and symbols in place of a word or letters in a word then that word does not belong on this board. Thanks, ms_mod

Closed Thread