It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Lexapro is working but I am so tired!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-17-2005, 09:11 AM   #1
    americandancer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

americandancer HB User
    Lexapro is working but I am so tired!

Okay, friends. I have been taking lexapro 10mg for the last week. It has done wonders for my anxiety and insomnia! I take it at night before bed. The only problem is I am so tired during the day! I believe being tired is making me hungry all the time and not getting exercise. I don't have any energy to exercise. The anxiety is gone, but what do I do now? I also don't feel like going anywhere or doing much. Will this go away with time or should I give up and just try exercise and alprazolam as needed for my anxiety? Please respond.....I am so tired of this rollercoaster ride of ad's!
    Kelly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2005, 05:21 AM   #2
    americandancer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

americandancer HB User
    Re: Lexapro is working but I am so tired!

Anyone have any advice?

Old 04-18-2005, 01:32 PM   #3
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

ask a pharmacist but as far as I know the lexapro dose range is 10 to 20 so its doubtful that a smaller dose would work
    also it sounds like you are mostly just getting a placebo effect as these antidepressant meds seldom work so quickly, you could perhaps halve the dose for a couple of weeks to see what happens
    \
    IMO an antidepressant such as lexapro, if working properly, will help more than alprazolam so stay with it if you can
    gentle exercise and long walks always help

Old 04-18-2005, 04:54 PM   #4
    Guineapig5
    (female)

Guineapig5 HB User

I remember reading somewhere that lexapro is fast-acting, and you can get windows within a week. I have also heard of it working at less than 10 mg. For me, 10 mg worked at times within a week or two, and really well at 3-4 weeks to control my anxiety.

Unfortunately, I became too fatigued after a couple of months to continue. I wonder what would have happened if I'd halved the dose or stayed with it longer? The fatigue goes away for many {lucky} people!.

Old 04-18-2005, 06:11 PM   #5
    adam2000
    Veteran
    (male)

adam2000 HB User

I have a bottle of lexapro sitting right in front of me....Im currently on 10mg of paxil and having a good deal of anxiety...im just hesitant to take it. My doc said to just take the 10mg of lex and not the paxil. Im worried about side effects of paxil if i just switch to lex, just like that. A week sounds good, but the fatigue doesnt....i don know what to do

adam

Old 04-18-2005, 06:29 PM   #6
    americandancer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

americandancer HB User

Adam, how long have you been on the paxil? I think the dr. would have told you if it wasn't safe to just switch like that. I have switched from effexor and zoloft before without weaning. It is worth a try if the paxil is not working for you. I have to wonder like guniepig if just taking a smaller dose would help. I was given 20mg and have been breaking those in half for the 10mg. I guess I could break it into quarters for 5mg! The lexapro really does work for me....I wonder if anyone else has taken it and found that the tiredness goes away with time. I don't know if the lexapro is making me hungry or the fatigue is making me lazy and make the wrong choices.

The Following User Says Thank You to americandancer For This Useful Post:
    annam64 (06-05-2012)
    Old 04-18-2005, 07:18 PM   #7
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User

I am new to AD's and Lexapro is the first one I have been on, and barely over a month. It worked for me in just a matter of a few days! I was depressed and anxious, and it helped both tremendously. I did not feel tired, if anything, I had more energy at first. I haven't had trouble with being hungry either. I felt kind of "antsy" at first, but that has gone away. I am on 10 mg. I tried going down to 5mg, but I didn't feel as well, so I went back to 10 mg after a few days. So far only one side affect - orgasm problems (yuck)! Trying to find a way to overcome that. Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 04-18-2005, 07:34 PM   #8
    americandancer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

americandancer HB User

Oops! I forgot that side effect also! Looking for suggestions on that one myself. I definately believe the lex can get in your system faster than most ads. I am glad you are having success without the fatigue or hunger. Wish I could say the same.

Old 04-18-2005, 07:40 PM   #9
    adam2000
    Veteran
    (male)

adam2000 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by americandancer
    Adam, how long have you been on the paxil? I think the dr. would have told you if it wasn't safe to just switch like that. I have switched from effexor and zoloft before without weaning. It is worth a try if the paxil is not working for you. I have to wonder like guniepig if just taking a smaller dose would help. I was given 20mg and have been breaking those in half for the 10mg. I guess I could break it into quarters for 5mg! The lexapro really does work for me....I wonder if anyone else has taken it and found that the tiredness goes away with time. I don't know if the lexapro is making me hungry or the fatigue is making me lazy and make the wrong choices.

Ive been on paxil 10mg for about 5 years, was at 20 for a while but the insomnia and dreams sucked. Ive had breakthrough anxiety lately and the doc (my general doctor) wants me to go from the paxil to 10mg lex. he said to just switch. Im afraid of the side effect of switching, or is there any? : )

Old 04-18-2005, 07:48 PM   #10
    americandancer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

americandancer HB User

I've never taken paxil and you have been on it for a long time. I was not on the effexor or the zoloft but just a few weeks to a month.....I don't know. How much do you trust your dr? I would hope he would know what he was talking about. If the paxil is not working, it is worth trying the lexapro and giving it a chance. It might not make you tired...that could just be the way it does me. Others have said they have not had any fatigue. You could just call your dr and have him clarify to you exactly what to expect when you switch and how long any effects might last. That's what I would do. Good luck and let me know what you decide.

Old 04-18-2005, 08:01 PM   #11
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Adam, I think you will get better benefits from Lexapro than the Paxil. It is supposed to be superior to Paxil, and is one isonomar of Celexa, the good part without some of Celexa's side affects. It is stronger than Celexa, so it takes less. From asking around at work, different meds work for different people, and maybe Paxil isn't the right choice for you. My husband has been on AD's for about 9 years now and on several different ones. He tried Wellbutrin and it turned him into Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. He had mood swings really bad, and got really mean. I told his psychiatrist to take him off that! He started on Prozac recently and doing very well with it. Good luck! Do call your doc and clarify things, though.

Old 04-18-2005, 08:16 PM   #12
    adam2000
    Veteran
    (male)

adam2000 HB User

My problem is that my doc is my GP, whos trying to help me out. I dont have a psych to go to but im thinking about it. I dont think he even knows the withdrawal problems from paxil. Im just worried that switching directly to another will hurt me. Im so terrified of side effects. But from what it sounds like, lex works in a matter of days to a week. I read the label and steady state concentrations in the blood take a week, so maybe i wont even know the difference from stoping paxil. since they are both ssri's maybe its one in the same...i hope so. Maybe ill start it on a saturday so i have a weekend to see how i feel ...

Old 04-18-2005, 08:28 PM   #13
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

That sounds like a good idea. If you feel a bit bad, at least it will be over the weekend. My GYN gave me mine, so I've gotten most of my advice from friends that take it and also from reading on the internet about it and also asking the pharmacist. Also, after years of going through all the med changes with my hubby, I have learned quite a bit too. He tried Paxcil CR for about a week or so, but it zonked him out and then they put him on the Prozac. He's been on so many different meds, it would make your head spin. But, I think he's at his best at this moment in time, and I am thankful. If you seriously have depression and/or anxiety - you really do need to be treated by a psychiatrist if you aren't being helped successfully by the GP.

Old 04-18-2005, 08:34 PM   #14
    amy12345

amy12345 HB User

For me, the side effects of Lexapro are serious nausea (still, after 3 months) and a little bit of anxiety at times. Instead of upping my dose to 20 (I'm taking 10 now), my psych. said to try Remeron. That's when the unbelievable fatigue and hunger started. I never seem to feel full anymore and I'm constantly thinking about what I'll eat at the next meal. Also, I haven't been hearing my son call for me in the morning until he's really screaming and upset. That has never happened to me before.

The doctor told me to taper off then stop the Remeron and we'll talk about maybe something else at our next visit.

Old 04-18-2005, 08:35 PM   #15
    adam2000
    Veteran
    (male)

adam2000 HB User

Yeah I was thinking about it.

From what Ive heard of lex so far it looks like its gonna be good. I actually have a friend that works for a place called advanced behavioral health. Lots of psychs work there, and she knows a few personally. She asked one of them about my situation with the paxil and lex, and he said it was a good question and he would consult with a few of his collegues and let her know what they think, so at least i can get a good dr opinion on it. I just want to know what to expect before i jump into it...anything that messes with my melon worries me a little, expeciallu since i havent had a problem in years. Guess that what getting a new stressful job does to you

Closed Thread