It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Did Lexapro make anyone more anxious when they started taking it?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-01-2005, 02:17 PM   #16
    adam2000
    Veteran
    (male)

adam2000 HB User
    Re: Did Lexapro make anyone more anxious when they started taking it?

HI all,

My appetite has been ok, dont really have nausea. For the most part my eyes feel heavy most of the day. Yesterday i wasnt too bad. took it at 1030 went to bed around 1, woke up at 9ish but layed in bed an hour or so. The dizziness has been very uncomfortable, i think when i get up and walk around i make myself more anxious, then if i lay back down i just lay here and think about getting up, its a vicious circle.

Today something weird started, i notice every once in a while i get a dull pain right where my heart is, i dont know what the heck it is, but i know im not imagining it. I called my doctor and told him how awful i feel. He just told me that its going to take a few weeks to work, and if i feel bad to take an ativan that its all anxiety. I just find it hard to believe, because its so {REMOVED}. I almost want to just drive myself to the ER and throw myself on the floor.

Im starting to stress now about how im going to work tomorrow, and go for that cat scan without losing it. I know if i feel lousy at work it'll throw me into panic and ill freak out again. I wish this would go away

Last edited by msmod; 05-01-2005 at 03:29 PM. Reason: If you have to use *** in place of letters in a word, then that word shouldn't be used on the board. Thanks, ms_mod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2005, 03:43 PM   #17
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by adam2000
    HI all,

My appetite has been ok, dont really have nausea. For the most part my eyes feel heavy most of the day. Yesterday i wasnt too bad. took it at 1030 went to bed around 1, woke up at 9ish but layed in bed an hour or so. The dizziness has been very uncomfortable, i think when i get up and walk around i make myself more anxious, then if i lay back down i just lay here and think about getting up, its a vicious circle.

Today something weird started, i notice every once in a while i get a dull pain right where my heart is, i dont know what the heck it is, but i know im not imagining it. I called my doctor and told him how awful i feel. He just told me that its going to take a few weeks to work, and if i feel bad to take an ativan that its all anxiety. I just find it hard to believe, because its so I almost want to just drive myself to the ER and throw myself on the floor.

Im starting to stress now about how im going to work tomorrow, and go for that cat scan without losing it. I know if i feel lousy at work it'll throw me into panic and ill freak out again. I wish this would go away
    Ok, I'm pretty sure it does take a few weeks for the brain to build up some defense to the effects of the medication, I wouldn't call that "working" but you may feel better.

From what I've read, that defense is a tolerance building mechanism the brain has to chemical intruders. Tolerance isn't so good, because although it battles the negative effects of a drug it may also cause some desensitizing of brain receptors thus an eventual need for higher doses; with higher doses come more risks of adverse effects.

Brain receptors targeted by a drug, for example serotonin receptors effected by SSRis, will eventually become desensitized or diminish in numbers which leaves the brain without enough.

The term I read of that describes this is deregulation of brain receptors. Seems science has known about this for awhile but apply it more towards illegal drugs, although in reality illegal/legal drugs are alot alike only illegal ones are not controlled thus the risk of faster/more severe damage from extremely high doses.

But deregulation can happen to any brain receptors that are consistantly exposed to drugs on an on-going basis and some new research shows changes in brain receptors from SSRi antidepressants in rats. Now, I know we aren't rats but those same rats showed us the potential for developing cancer from cigarettes too.

Point is, just because the brain becomes less sensitive does not mean something is now "working".

Another point is that our bodies change over time and metabolize drugs differently, so new side effects can appear later on, a culmative effect of long-term use that is sometimes mistaken for new symptoms of a new conditon or new symptoms caused by original condition when actually it is poor drug metabolizm. Also, deregualtion makes the drugs less effective, again mistaken for worsening of original condition or emergence of new one.

In other words, drugs are never blamed yet science knows the risks and possiblities. I guess they chose to ignore it.

IMHO, based on from what I've read from science and some professionals, deregulation (dying off and desensitization of receptors) is a form of brain damage and/or brain imbalance caused by psychoactive medications.

I wouldn't personally trust any of these meds, especially since there is no way they can test your levels or know the proper levels of your brain neurotransmitters (unlike well-known measuring of blood sugar, blood pressure, etc) so who really knows what neuros you lack or need or have too much of.

But that's just me. Others will decide to go the med route and that's ok if it truely helps them but they should read up on the long-term effect of meds and things like tolerance and deregulation before deciding.

Good luck, hope you feel better either way.

Last edited by msmod; 05-01-2005 at 04:18 PM.

Old 05-01-2005, 09:10 PM   #18
    adam2000
    Veteran
    (male)

adam2000 HB User

Thanks for the info That helped calm me.....

Old 05-01-2005, 09:24 PM   #19
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User

Geez, Adam, after I read that post I thought - whew- that's the last thing YOU needed to hear!! Well, let me tell you from experience with my husband and others I have known with the SSRI's, he's rarely had to go up on his dosage as time went on, sometimes he's gotten better and actually been able to decrease his dosage. Same thing with some of my friends. So, don't let that worry you, ok?

I do have to admit I am really beginning to worry about you, it seems that you are really having extreme anxiety and it is affecting you terribly. Keep taking your Ativan until the Lexapro is fulling kicking in and you see symptoms subsiding (which I am hoping they will do). Maybe you need Buspar along with the Lexapro? I want you to get better, it troubles me that you are having such a hard time out there. Wish I could give you a big hug!

Jackie

Old 05-01-2005, 09:42 PM   #20
    adam2000
    Veteran
    (male)

adam2000 HB User

Im only taking 5mg right now...maybe i should be doing the whole 10? Ijust want to adjust to the 5 first. And i have to remember its only been a few days since i quit the paxil...maybe that has some affect on me still. In any case, if i feel lousy when i wake up tomorrow, ill haveto go into work and ask if i can either work from home this week, or take my last 5 vacation days and take the week off to rest. frankly im sick of sitting home. id like to at least be able to go to work and function. not easy if tomorrow ends up like today... and we;ll have to see what the psych says to me tuesday

Old 05-01-2005, 09:56 PM   #21
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I really wouldn't up it to 10mg just yet. Wait and see what the psych says on Tuesday, ok? I am SOOO glad you have an appointment to see one so soon. That is a good thing, because they will be able to help you with this much better. I hate for you to have to take your vacation because of this! Maybe you will feel better tomorrow, we'll keep our fingers crossed and I'll add you to my prayer list tonight, ok? Hang in there, I'm going to bed now. It's been a very stressfull weekend, since we took the respirator off his nephew last night, and having the funeral tomorrow. I will check in with you tomorrow.

j

Old 05-01-2005, 10:55 PM   #22
    qwerty1970
    (female)

qwerty1970 HB User

Yes. It made me want to jump out of my skin. I didn't want to eat for a week (not exactly a bad thing) and couldn't sleep much (definitely a bad thing). If someone walked into my cubicle at work unannounced it was all I could do not to jump up and run. After 4 months of jumpiness, lack of sleep, gritting my teeth while I did sleep, and generally not being un-anxious I quit it. Now I just suffer. My back's in knots, I don't sleep anyway, I'm tense all of the time and life is miserable. I will go back to my doctor soon but I doubt if she'll help me out. The only thing that HAS worked were valium type meds (diazepam that I got sparingly from my dad when he was still living). She said she didn't want to give me anything that I'd be dependent upon. I think a person is dependent upon ANYTHING that will help them so what's the point?

Old 05-02-2005, 05:55 AM   #23
    Bell99
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bell99 HB User

Adam any better today???

Old 05-02-2005, 01:03 PM   #24
    adam2000
    Veteran
    (male)

adam2000 HB User

Well I did make it to work. I didnt feel all that great at all, but went in. Spoke to my manager, who suggested i maybe take medical leave for a few weeks until this passes, since its not really helping work by me being sick and leaving and all. So thats what i did. I took two weeks off, the first week will use up the last of my 5 vacation days, 7/1 i get a fresh start of 20 till next july, so might as well. i dont get paid for the second week off, but one week wont hurt me. Hopefully by then ill be ok again.

I just got back from my CAT scan. boy it was fast. took about 15 minutes. I pray that doesnt come up with any weird stuff...the way my luck is going lately, who knows. So ill probably be a little anxious about that...

oye...

Old 05-02-2005, 01:12 PM   #25
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

The only thing they might might, is there's nothing there! Just kidding!!! You're going to be fine, Adam

J

Old 05-02-2005, 01:14 PM   #26
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by adam2000
    Thanks for the info That helped calm me.....
    Sorry, didn't mean to calm you down so much

Just a bit of science info is all I meant to pass on and on a personal experience level, let me just say that being off meds, weight resistance training 4 times a week has left me calmer than anything I've known so there is hope, even without meds but I guess that's your decision....some people do ok with meds, however, healthwise they are still not so great(effect vasoconstriction, cardiovascular system, liver, kidneys, etc) so maybe you could consider meds a short term solution. Most time the physical implications of meds are blamed on other things or overlooked.

I wouldn't panic over it all, I didn't mean to cause that....you will probably be fine but if per chance you find yourself not fine in a few weeks, or a few months/years, please reconsider what I wrote.

Also, if you care to, you could read the likes of Dr. Joseph Glenmullin, Dr. Ann Tracy and Dr. Peter Breggin. They come on pretty harsh but they do have the science. Also, a Dr. Heather Ashton wrote the manual on benzodiazepines called the Ashton Manuel; it's free online. Best wishes to you whatever you decide to do!

Last edited by Jennita; 05-02-2005 at 01:30 PM.

Old 05-02-2005, 04:33 PM   #27
    adam2000
    Veteran
    (male)

adam2000 HB User

I was just joking - I know you meant well. Actually you are right. I dont want to be on meds forever myself, i know that stuff can mess you up in many ways...but for now, i just need to get better somehow (so i dont mess up my job)...Ill check those authors out,couldnt hurt!

Adam

Old 05-02-2005, 04:50 PM   #28
    dwallech
    (female)

dwallech HB User
    Exclamation Re: Did Lexapro make anyone more anxious when they started taking it?

I am glad I am not the only one. I recently suffered a stroke. I was very fatigued and kept going back to the doctor for answers. They decided perhaps Lexapro would give me some energy. I was on it for two weeks and kept feeling worse. Well let me tell you, I ended up feeling worse than jumping out of my skin..... I was ready to literally jump out a window and a lot worse. The neighbor helped to call the doctor, who in turn told me to go to the emergency room. Here, it is an adverse reaction to the Lexapro and was told never to try any SSRI class drugs ever again. It took almost 5 days to get it out of my system. I felt like I was going nuts while on the medicine. I kept asking how long it would be til I would feel better. I will never ever take those types of meds again. I wasn't depressed, just tired, but the doctors thought it would give me energy. I don't need or want that kind. Does anyone else suffer from severe fatigue due to a stroke?? Hope this helps. Also, these were samples with no papers or side effects. Thanksfully I was able to look up the side effects on the internet and knew to get help quickly. I wasn't hardly able to eat the whole time I was on the medicine. If you take it, I wouldn't go more than 5 mg until that helps or not, before taking in more. Please make sure you are not having an adverse reaction

Last edited by dwallech; 05-02-2005 at 04:58 PM.

Closed Thread