It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Need Some Advice on Lexapro & Buspar

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-30-2005, 01:28 PM   #1
    allen_dave
    (male)

allen_dave HB User
    Need Some Advice on Lexapro & Buspar

I've been reading here for a few hours and would appreciate some advice/recommendations.

I have suffered from anxiety for about 35 years now. I posted some info about me in this thread:
    [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=253586[/url]

I have been taking Valium for over 30 years, and Paxil for about 10 years. They "get me by," but I've decided to do some more research on other possibilities.

After a lot of reading here today, Lexapro doesn't sound like too good of an option (with all the side-effects). Many years ago I tried Buspar, but it gave me short dizzy spells and kind of scared me away from it.

Is anyone here that's suffered from chronic anxiety for many years had success with Buspar or Lexapro? Since Buspar was specifically made for the treatment of anxiety, I thought I might ask my doctor to give it a try agian. I know it's an old drug, but I am looking for something that works.

Any input on Lexapro or Buspar (or any other meds) that people have had success with would be greatly appreciated. Please keep in mind I have dealt with this anxiety crap for 35 years, so I would especially like input from people with long-time chronic anxiety.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2005, 01:41 PM   #2
    Bell99
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bell99 HB User
    Re: Need Some Advice on Lexapro & Buspar

I take both . Been on Buspar for over a year 15 mg twice a day. Worked great for a little over a year but now they have added lexapro. Side effects the first week were a bit much but now I am feeling ton's better, day 9 for me.

Old 04-30-2005, 02:23 PM   #3
    allen_dave
    (male)

allen_dave HB User

Thanks Bell. I'm thinking I should just ask the doc to let me give Buspar a try again, and stick with Paxil for now.

I read the thread on Paxil vs. Lexapro and there were many different opinions on which one is better. Maybe adding Buspar to the mix will help (or maybe it will kill me! ).

Last edited by allen_dave; 04-30-2005 at 02:55 PM.

Old 04-30-2005, 03:01 PM   #4
    Bell99
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bell99 HB User

Hi Allen Dave!
    I feel better all the way around. Side effects are pretty much gone . I feel it about an hour after I take the Lexapro but nothing like it was.
    You are smart to arm yourself with knowledge before you go. I did the same thing.
    Buspar worked pretty good for me for about a year which the Dr. said is "typical". As far as side effects I am not the best person to ask as I always have the most uncommon side effect there is with any drug.
    It did make me light headed about half an hour after taking it , still does.
    It also for some strange reason gives me the muchies for sweets and makes me have to urniate a bunch? Like I said, I have weird side effects.
    I was doing well on it until April 6th when I had a massive panic attack.
    What I do now is break the buspar into quarters and take it throughout the day. That way you don't get hit with the light headed feeling near as much.
    I did the same with Lexapro.

Old 04-30-2005, 03:37 PM   #5
    allen_dave
    (male)

allen_dave HB User

Thanks again Bell! I'm glad you saw my original reply post before I edited it. Thought maybe I was asking too many questions in my original reply!

I'm also very sensitive to many drugs, and when I tried Buspar many years ago, it made me a bit light-headed and I also experienced very short dizzy spells, like about one second each time it happened. That's what scared me off with Buspar originally.

I am taking lots of notes today so I will know what to ask the doc about on my next visit. As I said in my editied post, perhaps I should stay with Paxil for now and see if Buspar helps without trying Lexapro yet.(???).

Old 05-01-2005, 01:23 PM   #6
    LostMind
    (female)

LostMind HB User

I have had anxiety for 27 years and am on Buspar and xanax. It worked good for me for about 1 year but now I seem to be right back where I started. I am on a low dose of 15 mg a day. For me it doesnt seem strong enough to stop my mind from the constant thoughts thats drive me crazy.....I am waiting to see the dr. again
    My husband took Lexapro and became very angry, mean was not a good word. He stop it and has returned to the man I know. A friend takes it and swears by it. So theres few of my experiences with those 2 drugs for you.

Closed Thread