It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Anxiety and Employment - please help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-04-2005, 10:06 AM   #1
    trying000
    (female)

trying000 HB User
    Anxiety and Employment - please help!

I have a generalized anxiety disorder which I take Xanax for occasionally. I am starting a new job and I have to get a drug test- so I informed my employer that I have a medical condition that requires perscription medication that will affect the drug test. I am not in therapy currently because my insurance got changed and I have not found another doctor, so the perscriptions I have are from my former doctor.
    What kind of proof will my employer need to have to know that the drug showing up on my drug test is legal? Can they access my medical records? I already feel like I have had to disclose more information than I should have to, does anyone have any experience with this? or know how this type of situation is supposed to be worked out? I really need this job, so I really hope that this is a smooth process
    Thanks a lot!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2005, 02:39 PM   #2
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    Re: Anxiety and Employment - please help!

I think most drug tests dont look for xanax type meds

Old 05-05-2005, 07:35 AM   #3
    jayzturf
    (male)

jayzturf HB User

You need to be careful with this because employer drug test are not just to look for cocaine or marijuana. Besides illegal drugs, employers are trying to see the current state of your health condition. They're checking for certain medications, like anxiety to drugs or drugs for cancer, and heart conditions. If they find traces of these drugs, then they'll assume you have a medical problem that might prevent you from doing your job. I don't mean to cause you more anxiety, but you should have never had to told them you were using xanax; (unless asked)

I read an article where a UPS employee had a random drug test, and it was discovered she was taking xanax. The employer asked to see her prescription, and required her to stopped the medication before returning to work; the employee has filed a lawsuit.

I'm in a simliar boat as you; I have a anxiety condition where I could use some medication, but I have not taken anything because I was being considered for a job that requires a drug test, which I just took recently. I'm glad I did not take anything for my anxiety because this would have drew a red flag, and possibly could have prevent me from becoming employed.

I know it sucks, people need to understand that these test reveal everything in your system, which is anlayzed to determine your current state of health. If a employer feels your not in condition to perform the job, they don't have to hire you if its a pre-employment drug test. I think this is totally unfair, but good luck.

Old 05-05-2005, 11:16 AM   #4
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

I really have a hard time believing they will go to the time and expense of testing for everything including prescriptions, that is just ridiculous and outright discrimination. From what I have read, it costs more money to test for legal type substances, and if they did not consider you for a job because you had to take a prescription, that would be grounds for lawsuit for discrimination or Americans with Disabilities act. I doubt a company would open themselves up like that. Plus, my dad works for UPS and takes several medications for various ailments. he also takes drug tests and has NEVER had any problems. Not sure where that other UPS emplyee was, but that has to be an isolated incident.

Old 05-05-2005, 12:32 PM   #5
    jayzturf
    (male)

jayzturf HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjewell
    I really have a hard time believing they will go to the time and expense of testing for everything including prescriptions, that is just ridiculous and outright discrimination. From what I have read, it costs more money to test for legal type substances, and if they did not consider you for a job because you had to take a prescription, that would be grounds for lawsuit for discrimination or Americans with Disabilities act. I doubt a company would open themselves up like that. Plus, my dad works for UPS and takes several medications for various ailments. he also takes drug tests and has NEVER had any problems. Not sure where that other UPS emplyee was, but that has to be an isolated incident.
    Well I suggest you do your homework. I didn't think so either until I did my own research. They do not tell you this, but employers can check your urine for anything they want; most test now check for all benzo's because they're are individuals that abuse these drugs. If you test positive for one these drugs you must furnish a prescription. On a pre-employment drug test, the employer can make assestnment that they do not want to hire a depressed employee. I agree its wrong, but its another tool at their disposal. Everyone needs to be aware, but if you're currently employed and take a test you have more security in that situation. However applicants don't have a lot of leverage in this situation so I would just honer on the side of caution.

Old 05-05-2005, 04:06 PM   #6
    allen_dave
    (male)

allen_dave HB User

I know for a fact that many employers test for benzos. This started many years ago when Valium was in the news. You can thank the news media for that.

I do believe this is discrimination against Americans with Disabilities. However, if the employer doesn't tell you that's why you weren't hired, you would have a tough time proving it.

I hadn't heard about the UPS employee, but it certainly doesn't surprise me. mjewell, is your father taking any benzos? I'm not certain, but I don't think SSRIs are normally checked for in a drug test, and many prescription drugs are considered acceptable anyway.

Last edited by allen_dave; 05-05-2005 at 04:07 PM.

Old 05-05-2005, 04:12 PM   #7
    Bell99
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bell99 HB User

They are not just checking to make sure you will be able to work.
    They are more concerned with how much it will cost to insure someone with any medical condition. Sick but true. Our rates went through the year last year after I was put on all the meds. I have to take for a heart condition as well as anxiety.

Closed Thread