It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• from Lexapro to Prozac for panic???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-07-2005, 07:23 AM   #1
    heatherbruceb
    (female)

heatherbruceb HB User
    Talking from Lexapro to Prozac for panic???

Hi all. I have been on Lexapro for 5 weeks now and it is still not making me feel great - I am for sure better, but not great - also my Doc does not think I should be on Lexapro while trying to get pregnant....so she switched me to Prozac. Now I have anxiety, panic and some obsessions but NO depression. I read that prozac is for depression. I am scared it will make things worse. Has anyone had luck with prozac for anxiety and panic? I also take klonopin for the anxiety - need some advice please.

Heather

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2005, 11:05 AM   #2
    bondgrll
    (female)

bondgrll HB User
    Re: from Lexapro to Prozac for panic???

Oh Yea Heather I have some advice for you. I started on 20mg of Prozac for panic/anxiety and it freaked me out...the dose was way too high! I am now stable on 5MG after titrating up from 2 drops (liquid form of prozac) each week. It does help in the right dose. I also take 1MG of the Xanax XR (extended release) and life is normal again. What dose are you on?

Old 05-07-2005, 11:06 AM   #3
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by heatherbruceb
    Hi all. I have been on Lexapro for 5 weeks now and it is still not making me feel great - I am for sure better, but not great - also my Doc does not think I should be on Lexapro while trying to get pregnant....so she switched me to Prozac. Now I have anxiety, panic and some obsessions but NO depression. I read that prozac is for depression. I am scared it will make things worse. Has anyone had luck with prozac for anxiety and panic? I also take klonopin for the anxiety - need some advice please.

Heather
    Prozac and other SSRi's can have side effect of nervousness. Klonopin is a benzodiazepine, a downer, which is supposed to help anxiety but sometimes tolerance to effects set in.{REMOVED}
    The experts also noted several reports that found fluoxetine could affect a patientís ability to achieve sexual climax -- both male and female.

Fluoxetine can also get into breast milk and is found in the blood of newborns of mothers taking the drug.

The report says fluoxetine is widely used and can now be found in the environment.

I'm not sure all this is so good but I also read it's not wise to be either severely depressed or going through drug withdrawals while pregnant.

So I guess you will have to evaluate your own situation and determine whether or not the benefits of being on meds when you do get pregnant are worth the possible risks. But it's always good to know the risks beforehand.

Last edited by msmod; 05-07-2005 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Please don't copy and paste material from other sources. Thanks, ms_mod

Old 05-07-2005, 11:23 AM   #4
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

I cant understand docs thinking as lexapro and prozac are the same type of med, SSRI antidepressants, both can help for anxiety and depression

lexapro can tale 6 or more weeks to work properly, also the dose may need to be upped, ask doc

the question of these meds and pregnancy is controversial but many women do take them with studys showing no problems, although babies do seem to go thru a withdrawl process after birth

Old 05-07-2005, 11:31 AM   #5
    heatherbruceb
    (female)

heatherbruceb HB User

My Doc has had 50 or so women fo through pregnancy on prozac. She is starting me on 2 mgs for 6 days, the 5 mgs for 6 days, then 10 mgs to see how it works. I will be tpering off the lexat the same time.

HUGS
    Heather

Old 05-07-2005, 06:21 PM   #6
    bondgrll
    (female)

bondgrll HB User

That's the way to do it Heather......I"m sure you're feel better...let us know!

Old 05-07-2005, 06:56 PM   #7
    Paxilhead
    Inactive
    (male)

Paxilhead HB User

Quote:
    I cant understand docs thinking as lexapro and prozac are the same type of med, SSRI antidepressants, both can help for anxiety and depression
    Because they are not. You need to research the chemicals in these things, your the same guy that thinks Zoloft is the same as Paxil, because they are both SSRI's??? There is alot more to it than that. Research your chemistry..

Old 05-08-2005, 11:52 AM   #8
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Sorry for the cut and paste. Mainly it was a study indicating that babies born to mothers who take antidepressants are born lighter, prone to more respiratory problems, have more fussiness(stressed nervous system), have unusual sleep patterns, jitteriness and sometimes have tremors.

Closed Thread