It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Starting Zoloft

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-20-2005, 04:52 PM   #1
    Magmoor
    (female)

Magmoor HB User
    Question Starting Zoloft

Hi! I'm new to this side of the boards. What I've described to my doctor today seems and feels like social anxiety, and with that comes depression, since I feel so crippled by not being able to reach out and act "normal" in social settings. So she prescibed me some Zoloft today. According to the prescription, I will start at 50 mg. I won't be able to get it filled until Tuesday, so until then, I wanted to come here for some opinions.

I consider myself a proud person to a certain extent, and because of that, I don't want to have to rely on anti-depressants/anxiety meds for the rest of my life. As a result, I'm thinking that I will combine the meds with counseling/therapy and eventually ween myself off the pills. Does that seem plausible? I patiently await your opinions! Thanks for reading!

Cheers,
    Magmoor

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2005, 06:40 PM   #2
    sheltrpn
    (female)

sheltrpn HB User
    Re: Starting Zoloft

Hello

I took Zoloft back in 99 and just stopped it this past fall, I took 50 mg. and did very well on it for anxiety and depression. I am kicking myself now for ever going off of it.

I just saw my psychiatrist on Tuesday and she put me on the medicine. The difference between a psychiatrist and a regular doctor is that they wean you on and off of medicines. I started at 25 mg. on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Today my anxiety was so bad that when I called her she told me to take the 50 mg. starting today instead of tomorrow to start getting that dose in my system. I think using medications and also using therapy is good, but I think I will always have anxiety and I don't see to control it well without medication. If it is in your genes then it is there.

Good luck with starting the meds.

Old 05-21-2005, 10:35 AM   #3
    adam2000
    Veteran
    (male)

adam2000 HB User

SheltRPN -

I have been starting on Zoloft too, i was originally told (because of my fear of side effects) to start at 25 so i have been taking 12.5 2x a day (split pill). She told me to up it to 50, and that if i felt extra anxious as a side effect of upping to 50, to take 25mg 2x a day. So im a litte nervous about upping my dosage....i dont want more anxiety. I also take xanax .25mg 3x a day which keeps me just on the edge....

Maybe i should start the 50, im so hesitant.....

Adam

"An obstacle is just a stepping stone"

Old 05-21-2005, 11:23 AM   #4
    Magmoor
    (female)

Magmoor HB User
    Talking Re: Starting Zoloft

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheltrpn
    Hello

I took Zoloft back in 99 and just stopped it this past fall, I took 50 mg. and did very well on it for anxiety and depression. I am kicking myself now for ever going off of it.

I just saw my psychiatrist on Tuesday and she put me on the medicine. The difference between a psychiatrist and a regular doctor is that they wean you on and off of medicines. I started at 25 mg. on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Today my anxiety was so bad that when I called her she told me to take the 50 mg. starting today instead of tomorrow to start getting that dose in my system. I think using medications and also using therapy is good, but I think I will always have anxiety and I don't see to control it well without medication. If it is in your genes then it is there.

Good luck with starting the meds.
    Thank you, sheltrpn, for responding. I truly appreciate that. Could you perhaps tell me more about your experience on Zoloft--for example, side effects, how long it took for it to work for you, its effect on your depression and anxiety, and things of the like?

If anyone else has any opinions, it would be surely appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Magmoor

Old 05-21-2005, 11:54 AM   #5
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to amgmoor
    I would suggest both zoloft and counselling, start the zoloft at 25, split the tablet for the first 2 weeks, side effects can be many and varied but some get none, it must be taken daily for 2 to 6 weeks before it works properly
    with it working there will be a big improvement

Old 05-21-2005, 05:56 PM   #6
    sheltrpn
    (female)

sheltrpn HB User

Hi Magmoor:

Back in 99 I was so bad that I can't remember having any side affects from the zoloft. I think I had some diarrhea, but that went away.

Today is my 2nd day being on 50 mg. and my main complaint is a really bad headache, but my psychiatrist told me to take tylenol with it. I think because my anxiety is so bad she wanted to get me up to 50 mg. pretty quickly because I had good results from that before.

My experience with zoloft was good, really had no complaints. I never had anxiety attacks and although I still had blue days (as I am sure everybody does) I enjoyed life and never really thought about anxiety or depression. I slept great on it and I still have no idea why I went off of it in the fall.

I don't remember how long it took to work, but I do remember one morning waking up and it was like somebody had opened up the world, it looked brighter and more enjoyable and I just wanted to expierence everything.

Let me know how you are making out.

sheltrpn

Old 05-24-2005, 06:18 PM   #7
    Magmoor
    (female)

Magmoor HB User

Hi again, sheltrpn!

I got my prescription today. I've decided to take the Zoloft in the evening before bed. As hry33 mentioned--and esp. as my doctor mentioned--I'm starting with a split pill (25 mg), but for the first week, and then a whole pill (50 mg), I guess until further notice. On top of that, I'm going to a psychiatrist or psychologist--whatever--tomorrow. I'm very nervous about both things... Scared, even. But I want to be better, so wish me luck! Here's to hoping I don't chicken out of tomorrow's appointment!

Cheers,
    Magmoor

Old 05-24-2005, 08:46 PM   #8
    adam2000
    Veteran
    (male)

adam2000 HB User

Hi There,

Im slowly working my way up to 50 of zoloft...started at 25 broken in half 2x a day and almost at 50 now.

I also started seeing a psych...dont be worried, its actually feels really good to talk to someone about the issues your having. I think youll have a positive experience, its felt good to me...also, if your having anxiety problems, i highly recommend a book called "Hope and Help for your Nerves" by Dr Claire Weekes. I picked it up on ****** for a couple bucks at the advice of my psych, and its actually very very good!! Went through all the sensations i was having with panic and anxiety and explains it and the cause.....worth a read!

Best wishes!

Adam

"An obstacle is just a stepping stone"

Closed Thread