It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Can long-term Xanax make me sick?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-06-2005, 09:23 AM   #1
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User
    Can long-term Xanax make me sick?

Hi everyone -

Well I have been on Xanax for a little over 2 years now and I was just wondering for those of you who are experts (those who have also taken it for a long time) - can it eventually start to make you feel sick, like there's just too much of it in your body for too long? I just feel sick all the time, I get so many headaches, I am always tired, I feel nauseous a lot, etc. When I take a Xanax it usually makes me feel better, but I wonder if once it wears off it is actually causing these "rebound" systems. I don't think it is withdrawal because I do not take it on a regular basis. I take it as needed, which means sometimes I can go 2 or 3 days without, and some bad days I might take have to take 2-3 half mg a day. But maybe it is withdrawal I don't know. I just thought withdrawal symptoms were increased anxiety. I don't feel nervous in particular, just sick. And its not all the time either...like I said, sometimes I can go several days without it and feel pretty good, but that never lasts more than a couple days. What do you think?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2005, 09:56 AM   #2
    Graciecat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User
    Re: Can long-term Xanax make me sick?

I wish I could give you an answer, but I honestly don't know.
    All I can tell you is that I took Xanax every single day for 7 years...but the most I ever took was half a MG.....and I never once got sick from it.
    I wasn't tired or sick to my stomach...well at least not from the Xanax.
    Even when I weaned off of it I didn't get sick.

But, you do have to remember that everyone reacts different to these medications...so just because I didn't get sick doesn't mean that your problem couldn't be coming from the Xanax.

I'm sure people who think the devil himself created Xanax will tell you that it IS from the Xanax and the people who think it's the be all and end all for panic/anxiety problems will tell you it's NOT the Xanax.

I think the best thing for you to do would be to talk to your Doctor and get his opinion on this.

Sorry I wasn't much help, but like I said it it were me I'd talk to my Doctor about it.

Old 06-06-2005, 04:15 PM   #3
    LostMind
    (female)

LostMind HB User

Hi,
    I have been on Xanax now for 22 years. I have taken it as needed and 3 times a day. .5 mg up to 1 mg. sometimes 2 mg a day. depending on the day.
    I have never had any of the symptoms your describing nor did I have a hard time coming off it. I quit taking it cold turkey too. Still no withdrawl. But thats just me and my weird body. Everyone is different.
    Maybe asked your doctor about it.

Last edited by LostMind; 06-06-2005 at 04:16 PM. Reason: sp

Old 06-07-2005, 09:47 AM   #4
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks for your replies. I am not on any other anti-depressant, but I am going to ask my dr if I should be. Maybe my fatigue is from depression and anxiety, I just have no energy at all and no desire or motivation to do anything anymore. LostMind, I think i am like you too, I generally have a pretty hightolerance to stuff and don't get addicted easily. I'm glad to hear most of you have not had any long-term side effects. I hate the thought of being on Xanax for the rest of my life (or at least until i can retire and be stress free but at least it doesn't seem to be a dangerous drug.

Old 06-07-2005, 06:30 PM   #5
    pleasantville
    (female)

pleasantville HB User

dear mjewell
    i am not on xanax but on ativan also a benzo and have been for 6 years. i started out on an as needed basis but eventually needed it all the time. i have built up such a tolerance that i am sick all the time, with no energy , cannot function have terrible headached and stomachaches and can barely get out of bed. i think part of your problem is that you HAVE built up a dependency over the period of years regardless of your as needed basis. my husband took xanax for 15 years, was never able to get off them and died addicted to them. don't mean to scare you, he didn't die from them. these pills stay in your system for a long time and could be the cause of some of your problems. good luck
    p

Old 06-08-2005, 10:51 AM   #6
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

So you are pretty sure your icky feelings are from the Ativan? God I wish i could get off the stuff.

Old 06-08-2005, 03:57 PM   #7
    AliRah
    (male)

AliRah HB User

Hi Everyone,

I have on Xanax (.5mg) three times daily for the past 5 months. I too started to get constant headache, nausea and feeling tired and sleepy lately.

While it did help me a lot initially with my anxiety, I do not think it is working much for me at this time so I am trying to get o see my doctor to see what he plans to do.

Regards,
    Ali

Old 06-08-2005, 04:09 PM   #8
    Merimac
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjewell
    Hi everyone -

Well I have been on Xanax for a little over 2 years now and I was just wondering for those of you who are experts (those who have also taken it for a long time) - can it eventually start to make you feel sick, like there's just too much of it in your body for too long? I just feel sick all the time, I get so many headaches, I am always tired, I feel nauseous a lot, etc. When I take a Xanax it usually makes me feel better, but I wonder if once it wears off it is actually causing these "rebound" systems. I don't think it is withdrawal because I do not take it on a regular basis. I take it as needed, which means sometimes I can go 2 or 3 days without, and some bad days I might take have to take 2-3 half mg a day. But maybe it is withdrawal I don't know. I just thought withdrawal symptoms were increased anxiety. I don't feel nervous in particular, just sick. And its not all the time either...like I said, sometimes I can go several days without it and feel pretty good, but that never lasts more than a couple days. What do you think?
    Xanax is highly addictive whether or not you have an addictive personality. If you have been taking it for 2 years you have gained what is called tolerance. This means that at a certain level of the chemical in your blood you feel ok. When that level drops your body feels it and lets you know with withdrawal symptoms that may include nausea, vomiting, heart palpitations and the feelings may become so intense that you will feel forced to increase your medication levels back to what the body feels is comfortable to prevent those symptoms. Even if you withdraw slowly, a little at a time, you will eventually have a day or two of discomfort which will cause you to feel sick. The anxiety that the Xanax has been subduing will maybe come back or maybe not but the physical symptoms are very real. This medication is very good for people who simply must have it like people with breathing problems from COPD or some other problems. But, an emotional problem such as nervousness would be better treated with an anti-depressant, or some coping skills counseling or both.

Old 06-09-2005, 08:39 AM   #9
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Any idea how long Xanax stays in your system? I was under the impression it was only like 4 hours...or is that just how long it is effective? it probably does stay in your bloodstream longer huh? Just wondering if I should try to rule this out as the cause of my not feeling well lately by trying to stop taking it for more than 3 or 4 days (which is generally the longest I can go). Don't know if i can handle that though!

Old 06-09-2005, 03:23 PM   #10
    weeone
    (female)

weeone HB User

Can anyone help me....I am a 42 year old female who has been on Xanax for 12 years. Here is the story. When I was 30 years old I awoke one day, huddled into a ball with horrid creepy crawly feelings over my entire body. My head felt like it was being bombarded with noises, swooshing sounds. NOT voices. I couldnt function ! Went to the Dr. wham put me on Xanax. Other meds followed. I only take the Xanax now . But I cant funtion without it. I was taken off it once and all the symptoms returned. No one can tell me the problem. Can Anxiety just appear, and be intense ? Please I need to hear your storys, I feel very alone and scared.

Old 06-09-2005, 04:56 PM   #11
    bondgrll
    (female)

bondgrll HB User

Well, I was fine for 33 years and then like you one night I woke up with horrific sensations of panic and anxiety and creepiness...I thought I was going mad. I was diagnosed with a panic/anxiety disorder and have taken the Xanax XR (1MG in the AM) and about 8 MG of Prozac. I've not had to increase the xanax dosage...it's only been about 5 months. But basically, I am trying to wean off the Xanax to see what will happen...to tell you the truth I'm at the point where if my life functions normally with the Xanax then OK..that's that. Everybody;s got a different story but I know what shear hell and panic feels like....and that's no way to live. Are you trying to get off the Xanax? Are you on a high dose? And also, do you see a psychiatrist? I do, and he has helped put things in perspective. I asked him the same question, can this just appear out of nowhere and the answer is yes it can. We're unlucky that way but my feeling on it is be thankful the Xanax can help you function normally, 60 years ago we would have been sent to a mental institution...a nut house...

Last edited by bondgrll; 06-09-2005 at 04:58 PM.

Old 06-09-2005, 06:55 PM   #12
    weeone
    (female)

weeone HB User

Hello and thanks for the information... I'm not alone. Not that I would wish this on anyone. I take .5 mil. of xanax every four hours, then at night 1 mil. to help me sleep. I went into the hospital because I tried to overdose, the Dr. ( not my regular one ) took me off the Xanax cold turkey, and I thought I was in Hell. She put me on Ativan, but it gave me awful headaches and did not work half as well as the Xanax. When I was released I went back to my regular Pshyc. and she re-started me on the xanax. I asked her if I was crazy and she said "What is crazy?" But sometimes thats how I feel. I have lived with this for 12 years. I will never try it without the Xanax again. I'm trying to look at it as any other illness. I have to take meds to function. I'm just having a hard time convincing myself that it's ok to be different. The cause of this new fear is related to a very bad car accident I was in in Oct. of last year. I'm just now healing. So there is much to be anxious about. I dont think my counselor is helping much. Also I've noticed increased depression. This is nerve racking !

Old 06-10-2005, 08:06 AM   #13
    weeone
    (female)

weeone HB User

I know the feeling of waking up with anxiety, awful. I did well for 12 years on a lower dose, then the accident happened, then the Xanax didnt work as well. So thats why the Dr. increased the dosage. Like I said i take .5 Mg. every 4 hours the 1 Mg. at night. I wake up feeling very anxious. Run for the medicine cabinet. My Dr. also said YES our bodies can build of a tolerance. And increased stress will sometimes warrant an increase in Meds. Hang in there, I have good moments and bad. If you need to talk, write. I check this everyday now. I dont feel so alone. I was wondering if you ghad any increased stress lately, besides the kind we give ourselves ! As for feeling like you have the Flu... I really dont know. I deal with aches and pains everyday because of Arthritis, and injuries from the accident. They have been worse lately. I know where I live the weather has been crummy and that has a factor in my mood. Maybe yours ? I hope I helped.

Last edited by weeone; 06-10-2005 at 08:10 AM.

Old 06-10-2005, 08:21 AM   #14
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lillians Axe, are you having a stressful go of it lately? Sounds like you are having exactly what I am having. I have been ok for 2 years, I mean obviously I have bad days, but this week i have been consistently feeling like crap and last night was terrible. Of course I was exhausted all day, then at about 8:00 i felt like absolute butt. I had a headache that prgressedinto a migraine until i felt very nauseous...then i kinda started panicking, which made me hyperventilate and get dizzy until i was a sobbing heap on my bed. Now this does happen to me every once in a while, but this week is very strange. I have made an appointment with my dr next wek because I cannot handle this - i think I need to get on an anti-dperessnat, as much as I don't want to. I'm not sure Xanax can out of the blue give you these symptoms, so thats why I asked if you have been stressed lately. i have been , I have lots and lots going on, and I am a low-energy person who can't take a lot of stimuli at once. But I have been pushing myself beyond what i normally do, thats why I wonder if the stress is causing it. This is such a horrible way to live. I'm so glad I have all of you to talk to.

Old 06-10-2005, 10:56 AM   #15
    weeone
    (female)

weeone HB User

This is for mjewell and lillians axe, strange I have felt way out of my norm this week also. I wonder if there is a connection ? I cry a lot and feel very very anxious. I want to thank you both. I was feeling very alone here in neverland, thinking I was all alone with this sickness. As I said before, I wouldnt wish it on anyone. I too was thinking about antidepressants, but I hate taking meds. My Dr. recommended Zoloft.... any suggestions?

Closed Thread