It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• New Meds: Very Confused...Buspar, Xanax, and Zoloft?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-10-2005, 04:28 PM   #1
    katie865
    (female)

katie865 HB User
    Question New Meds: Very Confused...Buspar, Xanax, and Zoloft?

Hi Everyone,

Well, I met with my doc again the other day and I have been taking Zoloft 50 mg for 3 weeks now, and xanax .5 mg-1 .mg as needed for about 2 weeks (but only every couple days). I have been through an enourmous amount of anxiety/stress the last month or so...have had to deal with some really rotten things happen, etc. Anyways, My anxiety isnt going away as easily as we thought it would, but the xanax does calm it down when it gets serious...and I do believe it is too soon to tell with the zoloft

He prescribed me a medicine called Buspar...but said to ONLY take it as needed and he gave me another script for Xanax. He said though NOT to take them together. That I should only take one or the other, I dont understand this now that I have gotten the medicine filled and researched it just a bit. The way it seems is that the Buspar should be taken daily, but does that not mean I should take the xanax if I need to?

If Anyone has any suggestions, or advice until my doctor gets back into town that would be great...I understand to take the xanax only as needed, but am very confused as to how to take the buspar then, with or without the xanax. It says that you need to take it daily in order for it to work, and may take weeks to work...then why would my doctor write the script for up to 3 times daily only as needed????

Anyone have any ideas? Very confused...

Thanks for ur time!
    KATIE

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2005, 04:34 PM   #2
    dmorcats
    (male)

dmorcats HB User
    Re: New Meds: Very Confused...Buspar, Xanax, and Zoloft?

In my opinion the Buspar has to be taken on a regular basis to have lasting effect. I'm not sure why your doctor would say otherwise. I'd get on the web and do some research.

Old 06-10-2005, 04:47 PM   #3
    JJCHEEK

JJCHEEK HB User

I dont know why your doc would give you a perscription for 2 different benzos at the same time. unless he wants you to see which one you like better. DO NOT TAKE TOGETHER, and I would not even take it in the same day. If I were you I would try buspar for a little while and see how you feel. If you dont notice a change then go back to xanax. Just be carefull. Best wishes

Old 06-10-2005, 05:20 PM   #4
    Bell99
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bell99 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmorcats
    In my opinion the Buspar has to be taken on a regular basis to have lasting effect. I'm not sure why your doctor would say otherwise. I'd get on the web and do some research.
    That is what I was going to say? My Dr. won't even let me quit buspar cold turkey it needs to be tapered off? That is odd. I have been on it for a year and a half. I also took it a few years ago for a full year.
    It did help for about a year then quit working. I still take 15 mg twice a day along with ten mg of Lexapro and 80 mg of Inderal La.
    I have NEVER heard of taking buspar "as needed" what type of Dr. prescribed it this way?

Old 06-10-2005, 05:32 PM   #5
    Guineapig5
    (female)

Guineapig5 HB User

I'm not 100% positive, but I really don't think that buspar is classified as a benzo. My doc prescribed buspar along with ativan {a benzo like xanax} and zoloft, and said that it was a perfectly sensible combination. I think the idea is that when and if buspar starts working, the benzo is ideally tapered off. demorcats is correct; the buspar needs to be taken regularly in order to be effective, unlike a benzo. I too am confused as to why your doctor would give you such odd advice!

Old 06-10-2005, 05:42 PM   #6
    Bell99
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bell99 HB User

I sometimes take Valume with Buspar and never had a problem. I am hoping to get off it soon as it makes me extreamly hungry. You're right it's not a benzo.

Old 06-10-2005, 05:57 PM   #7
    katie865
    (female)

katie865 HB User

Thanks so much for the feedback. it is extremely helpful. So if this is my plan do you think it sounds okay? To day the Buspar 3 times daily as prescribed, and after a few days if I am still having terrible anxiety, then its okay to use the xanax (which really seems to help) for breakthrough panic/anxiety???

I will give him a call as soon as possible Monday morning. As we discussed on my appointment date, due to current issues going on in my life, along with the anxiety/health issues I am having...I didnt feel, and either did my doctor, that it was time yet for me to discontinue the use of xanax (since it was helping). He found no problem prescribing it to me as long as it #1 was helping with my anxiety and #2 was only being taken "as needed".

I think the reasoning behind the buspar was that he was trying to look for another option to help with my anxiety/panic issues...

He made sure to stress NOT to take them together..thats why I was confused, if this Buspar is to be taken daily, then how could I ever take the xanax if I needed to?

Katie

Old 06-10-2005, 06:00 PM   #8
    Bell99
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bell99 HB User

When you say 3 times daily does he have you breaking them? They are segmented in three parts 5mg each? Was this a GP or a Psychiatrist? I find psychiatrist are much more knowleable on these meds and the GP pretty much know what the drug rep's tell them.

Old 06-12-2005, 01:32 PM   #9
    LostMind
    (female)

LostMind HB User

I was just on buspar and now starting lexapro I am on both tappering off the buspar. Pharmacist said it ok to take both.
    Hubby is on zoloft and buspar by our Psychiatrist , has been for 2 years, hes ok with it so hubby.
    Buspar does have to be taken daily not as needed. I was on 5mg 2xs a day. Its just not as strong as the SSRI's sometimes its just a little boost you need without taking more of the zoloft. Call them back and ask.

Closed Thread