It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Lexapro - effects - good and bad?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-15-2005, 04:51 PM   #1
    WannaBeFreeToRoam
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User
    Lexapro - effects - good and bad?

Hi Anyone,

Please give me info on Lexapro. I have heard that it takes a while to work. 1 week, 2 week, or how long? Also, do you know if it always cause more anxiety? One more ? for now: does anyone know if you can take Valium at the beginning until it works? I just really need something for anxiety/stress and cannot go a full week without something. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Wannabe

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2005, 05:13 PM   #2
    Bell99
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bell99 HB User
    Re: Lexapro - effects - good and bad?

Great Success for me. Yes I felt more anxiety for the first week and had NO appetite but now I feel great. I started April 22 and started slow and take 10 mg now. For me it's been a really good thing. Maybe your Dr. could give you valume or ativan to take with it at first?

Old 06-16-2005, 08:56 AM   #3
    WannaBeFreeToRoam
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bell99,

Did they start you at 5mg.? One time a day? I go to the Dr. tomorrow to start Lexapro. I just wondered if there would be any side effects if you took valium at the same time for just a day here and there in the beginning?!

Thanks for your help. Wannabe

Old 06-16-2005, 09:14 AM   #4
    Bell99
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bell99 HB User

Well I hope you appointment goes well. Is it a GP OR a psychiatrist
    Lexapro was a last hope for me as I had bad reactions to several meds.
    He had me start tiny. For the first week (I believe) I split 5mg , then worked up to 5 for about two weeks and then ten. He also told me to experiment with what time of day to take it. For me morning is best as it kept me up at night. I don't take valume often mostly if I am having a real hard time sleeping. I have two kids at home so I can't take anything like that during the day.
    I have found Psychiatrist to be much more knowledgable on these drugs then GP IMO. They seem to know what ever the drug rep. tells them.
    Good Luck and do let us know how you make out. Don't stress if at first you feel anxious. I remember thinking I was going to jump out of my skin but it passed in time and was well worth riding it out.
    Let me know if I can be of any help.

Old 06-17-2005, 01:16 AM   #5
    zak7
    (female)

zak7 HB User

Hi,

I guess I have experiences some anxiety at times during my first 2 weeks while being on Lexapro, but I have tried to redirect that anxiety into extra energy into keeping busy which has helped me during the day because I used to sleep too much during the day.

In response to your Valium question, I actually had hair transplants at the same time I went on Lexapro and so I was given Vicodin to take after the surgery. My psychiatrist said it was fine to take the Vicodin and I had no problems taking the 2 at the same time, and who knows, maybe the Vicodin helped combat any initial anxiety of the Lexapro.

So I would go for it and take the Valium if you feel you need to.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-17-2005, 09:00 AM   #6
    mickey56
    (male)

mickey56 HB User

Valium actually can help a great deal when starting any SSRI.Go right ahead on as needed basis! You will do fine.

Old 06-17-2005, 09:24 AM   #7
    kali23
    (female)

kali23 HB User

Hello, I think it's normal for it to take a while to work. I actually felt a lot worse when I started taking Lexapro at first - it took about 6 weeks before I got any relief. My doc perscribed Klonopin for me to take as needed until the Lexapro kicked in, and that helped.

Old 06-18-2005, 05:53 AM   #8
    justjake45
    (male)

justjake45 HB User

i tried lexapro with klonopin, and the doctor told me to take the lexapro at night, but it always kept me up and made me feel more anxious, so i quit.

now i would like to try doing it in the morning instead, as i have found out more about it. i dont think the dr. who prescribed it knew what he was doing, he was just doing what a lot of doctors are doing now.

Old 06-18-2005, 06:08 AM   #9
    LostMind
    (female)

LostMind HB User

Hi,
    I just started lexapro 1 week ago, I was taking buspar. My doctor gave me xanax xr to help with the side affects. I was taking the lexapro in the morning but got to sick to my stomach, also it made me yawn non stop. I now take it at night with my xanax, side affects are minimal at this time of day cause I am sleeping. They just uped my xanax xr to 2 a day. I have noticed the edge is off my anxiety, the little things stopped bugging me. To early to tell if its the lexapro in my mind but the doc thinks its working.
    I was told the lexapro does make you feel up and that celexa has more of a calming effect with LESS side affects.

Old 06-18-2005, 07:00 AM   #10
    WannaBeFreeToRoam
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks to all of yall who replied,

Bell, I have to go to a GP for this particular ailment. My insurance will not pay for a psych. He gave me 10mg and told me to split them to 5mg for a while (days or a week). I took one (5mg.) last nite and it seemed to work ok. I cannot tell if it will work in a stressful situation, tho. The only side effect so far, is that I feel a little nauseated this morning. Probably is better to take it at nite? I will try the valium with it on Father's Day. (Next really stressful day.)

Thanks alot for your help and info. Wannabe

Closed Thread