It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• told boyfriend about my social anxiety

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-20-2005, 10:19 AM   #1
    volcomrxy21
    (female)

volcomrxy21 HB User
    told boyfriend about my social anxiety

I feel that I have social anxiety and always have, but it's gotten worse over the past couple of years.

My boyfriend of 9 months is very outgoing and likes being around people whereas I do not. This hasn't interfered with our relationship other than the fact that I get really anxious and nervous when we hang out with his friends.
    I learned to just deal with it and 'try' to ignore the anxiety hoping that the time passes quickly where I can be alone again.

After writing on healthboards a few months ago about this situation and reading yoru replies, I realized that I shouldn't tell my boyfriend about my social anxiety. It would only complicate things and not only that, but he isn't my therapist... He's my boyfriend and this problem is best left talking to a professional.

But last night I broke down.

I told him about it, and how I"m only comfortable when I am with my parents or him...

I dont know if he understood how I feel but he was very supportive and assured me he loved me no matter what.

I still feel like I shouldn't have told him because now when we hang out with his friends or family he's going to be knowing that I'm uncomfortable.

has anyone else been through something like this before? Any advice or help would be appreciated...

thanks so much

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2005, 11:31 AM   #2
    Candice561

Candice561 HB User
    Re: told boyfriend about my social anxiety

I have felt like this for a very long time.. I still hate hanging out with my boyfriends friends, not because I dont like them, but because it causes me so much anxiety and it totally freaks me out.. I think it was good that you told him because you're supposed to be open in relationships.. It probably took a lot of courage to tell him and he knows that and appreciates that. He might try to make you more comfortable now that he knows being around his friends makes you uncomfortable.. Whats the worst that could happen? Maybe asking you how you feel? Dont worry hun, everything will be okay.

Closed Thread