It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Feel like I cant breath

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-26-2005, 12:20 PM   #1
    Marblehead
    (female)

Marblehead HB User
    Feel like I cant breath

I am always feeling like I cant breath, like my throat is closing or something. I sometimes have a hard time taking a deep breath. I am always feeling for my pulse to see how fast or slow it is and then i worry about why it is beating so slow/fast. I get palpatations (which am currently getting tested to make sure everything is OK), I feel like I will colapse and die at any given moment. I think I am addicted to food. I weight 25 pounds more than I did 3 years ago. Its so depressing. Last night I took a half of a .25mg Xanax and started to have a panic attack because I was afraid of how it would make me feel. Eventually I got sleepy and fell asleep but always felt that need to take a deep breath but couldnt. When I am talking I feel like I cant get enough air. I get tingly feeling in my lips and chin and am convinced that I have MS (my mom had MS) or ALS. Sometimes I am afraid that I will choke on my food so I have trouble swallowing it. Tried prozac and a different med (forgot the name) but side effects were bad so I stopped. I have a bottle of Xanax but am afraid to take them most of the time because I am afraid that they will make my heart stop. Sometimes I will notice that I am not breathing...that I am holding my breath without noticing what I am doing. Why am i such a freak?? When will I stop worrying about a pandemic flu outbreak hitting the US and thousands of people dying? When will I stop worrying that I have mad cow disease but its just not showing symptoms yet! I know you all probably dont have any answers for me but I needed to vent a little. I am sorry for sounding so depressing. I need a new brain or something. Anyone know where I can get one??

Last edited by msmod; 06-26-2005 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Please read the posting rules as to why your post was edited. Thanks, Ms_Mod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2005, 01:42 PM   #2
    MrsPM
    (female)

MrsPM HB User
    Re: Feel like I cant breath

I know how you feel

I suffered from anxiety attacks-- still do but they were worse 9-10 years ago.
    One of my symptoms was a choking sensation and I felt like I couldn't breathe.
    And when I'd eat or drink I had problems swallowing. It was very scary.
    One thing that helped me was putting myself in a "happy" place, like listening to soothing music or sitting outside on a pleasant day breathing in the fresh air. Eventually, that choking feeling went away.

You sound a lot like myself when you said you actually had an anxiety attack because you were afraid how the medicine would affect you. The same thing happened to me the first time my doctor prescribed a sedative.

As for worrying excessively about a flu epidemic or some kind of horrible disease, it's not worth it. I am also a hypochondriac and the worrying can actually make you sick even if you aren't to begin with. It's not worth it.

Enjoy each day to the fullest. Look at the positives and the little things in life; this can change your perspective and make you feel relaxed and happy.
    Appreciate a cool breeze on a summer day or quality time alone reading a good book or meditating. Life's too short so make the most of it with the best of it! Good luck

Old 06-26-2005, 03:11 PM   #3
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to marblehead
    everything you mention could be from anxiety, but get doc to check for asthma
    xanax is a mild gentle med, especially compared with prozac, it can sedate you until your system gets used to it

books on overcoming worry have useful advice that may help you

Old 06-26-2005, 03:12 PM   #4
    bocana
    (female)

bocana HB User

This is one of my major physical problems from anxiety/panic. Sometimes I literally forget to breathe and then I jerk and take an extra big breath. Then for about the next couple hours I get almost asthmatic, really panicky.

I bought some books on how to "re-train" your breathing patterns. Lots of good advice,but notice the more I pay attention to it, the worse it gets.

A friend said that Yoga works wonders for this, but I'm afraid I'd get one of the breathing-panic attacks there.

Old 06-26-2005, 05:07 PM   #5
    Marblehead
    (female)

Marblehead HB User

Thanks for your responses. Someone else mentioned to me about getting checked for athsma (sp??). I will definately ask my dr. about it. I dont know if it is a hereditery thing but my sister has athsma and so does my uncle.

Closed Thread