It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Neck So Stiff That . . .

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-26-2005, 04:28 PM   #1
    Senpai
    Inactive
    (male)

Senpai HB User
    Neck So Stiff That . . .

Has anyone sat for a while and each day your neck and back gets tighter and tighter to the point where you start to jerk or shake a bit holding you're head straight. And then afterward, when laying down or immoble you still shake internally (kind of like a third heart beat every couple seconds)????

With me it gets so bad that it's hard to move. It's as if I am both tired and rigid at the same time. As if mucles was tensed in my whole upper body and I started to shake a bit -- but I am not consciously tensing my muscles. I also get this terrible heat and pressure like a cap on the top of my head.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2005, 02:21 PM   #2
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    Re: Neck So Stiff That . . .

to senpal
    see a doc and get checked out, may be from anxiety or something else
    in general dont tense up or fight back against stress or anxiety, relax and work your way thru it
    ask doc about a beta blocker med taken only as needed
    massage would help

Old 06-29-2005, 12:10 AM   #3
    Senpai
    Inactive
    (male)

Senpai HB User

I've been checked out. About 12 times in the last year. Wanted my internal physician to refer me to a neurologist recently, but was refused. She wants me to try lexapro as a diagnosis determiner. She prescribed that last year and I still haven't gone on it. I see the transistion isn't always easy or certain, and I want to be assured of the diagnosis before trying out drugs to prove a theory just to avoid more testing. She's pretty certain it's anxiety after only blood tests looking for Thyroid issues, and checking renal function, metabolic pannel.

It's not ALWAYS as bad as I said above, and I DO believe anxiety is part of it, I just want more tests done before I commit to some mind altering med for life. If it's "just anxiety" and I am assured of this (my doc isn't even CERTAIN when pressed), then I can try to combat it through other measures, and yes, meds if they don't work.

But WHY I can't get a referral if I have a PPO is nuts! And I am seriously thinking of changing Doctors, even though I think the one I have is well educated and a good one.

I hear your advise, and you have told me much the same before. I beleive you, and think you are right. I've been to a Chiropractor too recently, and it seems to help for a while. Perhaps if this continues, he can give me the referral I seek.

Thanks again.

Old 06-29-2005, 06:57 AM   #4
    amy12345

amy12345 HB User

Senpai, this has happened to me a couple of times. Literally, over the course of only a couple of hours, I could feel my neck and shoulders tightening. It got to the point where I could barely move my neck! They happened during particularly stressful times for me, so I chalked it up to extreme anxiety. The only thing I did was take some ibuprofin for the pain. It hasn't happened since, if it does, I guess I'll ask the psychiatrist at my next check-in if it really is related to anxiety and what to do about it.

Old 06-29-2005, 08:38 AM   #5
    Comptons
    Veteran

Comptons HB User

Senpai - I wonder if your doc would prescribe xanax to take as needed - this might be a better way to determine if it's anxiety. If it is - the xanax should relax your muscles and the problem will go away - If it is not anxiety the condition may continue... I'm not doc but I would rather try something as needed first before committing to anti-depressants.

Old 06-29-2005, 12:34 PM   #6
    Senpai
    Inactive
    (male)

Senpai HB User

amy...nice to know I'm not alone. It does USUALLY happen when I'm sitting in front of the computer for a long time, and holding my neck still. But the inner shaking that happenes with anxiety is also often there and continues after I move to lay down. Massaging does help so I am pretty sure it's stiff muscles. I to have taken Asprin, Tylenol ... mainly for the tension headaches that follow if I remain in this position or must due to work. I try to stretch, of course. It cn happen when standing too. I didn't think I was stiff, but others have commented on it from time to time.

Old 06-29-2005, 12:43 PM   #7
    Senpai
    Inactive
    (male)

Senpai HB User

Comptons...I agree. Yeah, one doc gave me Xanax to take as needed a year ago. I tried it, and it seemed to work, but my symptoms of anxiety (if I can recall correctly) weren't as bad then. I did have the annoying internal vibration/shaking. But the Xanax did wipe me out. I usually just slept, and when I awoke (if it was less than a night's sleep) I'd awak to being dizzy and off balance.

I suppose none of us like drugs, or wish we didn't have to take them. I'm definitely in that catagory. I see the problems at the FDA and that no drug is without side effects and problems and I want to see if I can cope -- and certainly be tested (at least) to rule out all other possiblities.

I definitely do have anxiety...I've tracked my responses to stimuli and situations, and I have plenty to be anxious about, as well. I the end, that may be all it is. Which is bad enough. I don't relish looking for other causes. I hate it. I have people relying on me, and ignorance would be bliss -- if I could chance that. I can't. But I suppose I'll have to fight my way to getting tested as many diagnosed with anxiety and written off do.

Old 06-29-2005, 07:12 PM   #8
    qwerty1970
    (female)

qwerty1970 HB User

A change of doctors is what helped for me. I have pain and stiffness everywhere but mostly in my upper back and neck. The pain kept me up at night and resulted in very dizzy and weird days which made functioning with anxiety 10x worse. My previous doctor told me that she couldn't help me at all. I changed doctors and got one that actually listened. He doesn't make me nervous and he's not condescending like pretty much ALL of the others. So far he's given me 10 mg. Elavil to be taken at bedtime. I am getting a good night's sleep and the days are a little bit easier to bear now that I'm not sleep deprived. The pain is still there during the day and we will work on that, but I am SO glad that I changed doctors.

Old 07-02-2005, 07:56 AM   #9
    hannahbob04
    (female)

hannahbob04 HB User

You might want to check into TMJ disorder...I have it and it causes a lot of neck pain/stiffness. And TMJ can be aggrivated by stress and anxiety. My advice would be to Google it and see if you have any of the other symptoms. Or go to the TMJ board on this page, it lists the symptoms. Good luck, I hope you feel better soon.

Old 07-05-2005, 09:37 AM   #10
    ydnam
    (female)

ydnam HB User

I don't really have much advice to give you, just support. I get the same thing. I am absolutely certain mine is directly related to stress/anxiety. I am in school, and on a day that I have a test my neck stiffens up so bad I can't hardly stand it. I try relaxing my muscles, stretching my neck out, laying back...it doesn't help. When I have this problem I can't even eat because my jaw is too sore/tired to chew. I then realize when I lay down and try to relax that my back is killing me. It's weird, because I don't feel the back pain until I try to relax my back muscles. I usually will have to lay backwards over a yoga ball to get the tension out. I had these problems for weeks before my wedding last year. But lately - for me, it's just been a short term problem (everytime I have a test) then it goes a way, thank God. But if you have long term stress and anxiety it can drive you crazy. Taking xanax helps me when I have this problem, but I don't really like to take it because it makes my head so foggy and I can't seem to remember anything that happens while on it.

Old 07-10-2005, 07:05 PM   #11
    Kimme81

Kimme81 HB User

Hey everybody. What a relief it is to find someone else with similar problems. I have been struggling with anxiety on & off for almost a year now but the one thing that has not gone away at all is the sore/stiff neck. One night last August I was rubbing my neck b/c it felt stiff & it was so bad that I could actually feel knots in the muscle (had a ct scan of my neck, of course b/c I automatically assumed it was swollen glands caused by cancer or something). The bumps are still there & go up & down randomly, but my neck is so stiff sometimes I can't even turn it, & it causes bad headaches. If anyone has any suggestions other than meds to make this go away, I'd greatly appreciate it. I hope you are all well. Thanks
    Kim

Closed Thread