It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Tom Cruise's interview

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-27-2005, 05:53 PM   #1
    bullun
    Veteran

bullun HB User
    Tom Cruise's interview

I'm curious what you all think of the whole Tom Cruise interview on the Today Show regarding psychiatry and medications? His believe that there is no such thing as a chemical imbalance..

Just find it tough to listen to someone who has never suffered from such things as the rest of the people on this board or the panic disorders board.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2005, 06:23 PM   #2
    luvscats
    (female)

luvscats HB User
    Re: Tom Cruise's interview

I think he's a jerk! While I don't know if chemical imbalances in fact have be proven, I do know there is some type of phenomena that happens to me that causes all types of physical symptoms. I went to the emergency room twice last year in the same day because my heart rate was accelerated...200 bpm at one time. I had a battery of tests that ruled out heart problems, so the diagnosis was severe anxiety. While I do believe that some doctors will prescribe a pill for something as simple as a hangnail, I truly believe I need meds to help me because the anxiety takes over my life without it. However, I do hope to be med free one day though.

By the way, I suffered with ppd too and I know what it feels like. Until one experiences it they just don't understand, because words just can't describe it. Shame on Tom!

Old 06-27-2005, 06:25 PM   #3
    starznmyeyes
    (female)

starznmyeyes HB User

I don't think it's his place to judge whether or not there is or isn't a chemical imbalance or whether people should be taking medications. I know Tom has been in the media lately talking about this and I'm really disappointed; he has always been one of my favorite actors. God forbid he ever have some mental disorder that wreaked him havoc and was interfering in his daily life. He'd probably be singing a different tune. Even if he wasn't singing a different tune, just because I choose to use meds and he doesn't, does not make him any better than me or any more right.

I'm not a big fan of meds either but when my anxiety gets to the point where I can't control it, I'm going to do what I can so I can function in my daily life. I don't plan to depend on it for several years but right now I need something while I get through therapy.

Old 06-27-2005, 06:48 PM   #4
    Belle2003
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Belle2003 HB User

I am not a doctor, but I think Tom Cruise is wrong. Our bodies can have all sorts of imbalances. Take diabetes where the insulin amount is incorrect. Or people with thyroid problems and need thyroid medication. These are all imbalances that can be devastating to one's health.

I personally know three people whose lives have been changed for the better due to antidepressants. Of course this medication does not cure them, but then insulin shots don't cure diabetes. I don't believe that people who need antidepressants to have a better quality of life, should just go off the medication because Tom Cruise thinks otherwise. If the medication is working and their quality of life is better, that's all that matters.

Who cares what Tom Cruise thinks?

Old 06-27-2005, 09:06 PM   #5
    crys323
    (female)

crys323 HB User

I find it extremely irritating when celebrities think they need to comment on anything other than the next film they're going to be in. He never went to college let alone medical school and never even finished high school. Who the heck is he to tell anyone anything!!?

What's even more irritating is that some people listen to them when they go on these stupid rants. I really hope people understand that actors do not have any place even suggesting to others how they should conduct their own lives.

Old 06-28-2005, 01:57 AM   #6
    malibu82
    Veteran
    (female)

malibu82 HB User

I agree. To comment on something you don't know the first thing about and have never experienced is ridiculous. Its very easy to have a black and white opinion of something when you don't have to experience it every day of your life.

Old 06-28-2005, 02:20 AM   #7
    Jugi
    (female)

Jugi HB User

I am getting so sick of Tom Cruise!!! It's pretty easy to rail against meds when you've never suffered from depression. Or anxiety. Or bipolar. Or OCD. Or Schizophrenia.

I think it's really funny that he calls psychiatry a "pseudo-science." You mean, kinda like Scientology?

I wouldn't have seen it anyway, but I think people should boycott his new movie. His behavior and remarks are just not appropriate.

Old 06-28-2005, 06:33 AM   #8
    Paxilhead
    Inactive
    (male)

Paxilhead HB User

Quote:
    I'm curious what you all think of the whole Tom Cruise interview on the Today Show regarding psychiatry and medications? His believe that there is no such thing as a chemical imbalance..
    When he gets a PHD in medicine/Psychiatry I'll listen...

Him and Scientology is nothing more than a cult that Ron Hubbard started (who was a science fiction writer)........

Old 06-28-2005, 11:18 AM   #9
    Comptons
    Veteran

Comptons HB User

I didn't see it - but heard he was full of bull...

Old 06-28-2005, 11:30 AM   #10
    bullun
    Veteran

bullun HB User

Thanks, just was curious what people felt. I caught a little part of it, and was extremely disappointed by his commentary.

Old 06-28-2005, 11:55 AM   #11
    Marirose
    Veteran
    (female)

Marirose HB User

Amen folks! Who CARES what Tom Cruise thinks? What does he know? What medical information does he have that none of our doctors do? The thing that makes me SO MAD about that kind of crap is that there are soooo many people who look up to celebrities...I hope no one stops taking meds. or decides not to ask a doc. about them because of his comments. How careless & stupid on his part! I hope God blesses him (and all of us) with good health, and I hope the Good Lord throws in some common sense and humility for Tom!

Old 06-28-2005, 11:59 AM   #12
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
    Angry Re: Tom Cruise's interview

I say, wait until Tom Cruise suffers from OCD, panic attacks, or GAD, and see how fast the arrogant blowhard comes running for an SSRI! No such thing as a chemical imbalance- ha! As a future neuroscience major, I think it's horrible that he wants to set psychiatry back thirty years. Let him keep believing obsolete Freudian nonsense, and let those of us with the mental illnesses have hope for the future!
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 06-28-2005, 01:09 PM   #13
    crys323
    (female)

crys323 HB User

He doesn't believe in Freud at all either. That's one of the main points of Scientology is that psychiatry as a field is all bunk. They don't believe in medication or any type of pschotherapeutic counseling. They really are a scary cult of crazy people. They believe we're inhabited by alien souls(the source of our 'bad' feelings).

Read up on scientology if you need to convince yourselves that you're not really the crazy ones. What a bunch of whackos.

Old 06-28-2005, 03:03 PM   #14
    sahaira
    (female)

sahaira HB User

I was very mad after listening to his interview. I can only hope that karma comes around for him and give him anxiety or panic. Medication has been the only thing to save me with my Panic Disorder- it gave me my life back... I especially like his comment about how everything can be fixed with exercise and vitamins. If he has never gone through it then he knows NOTHING about the subject.

I was very angered by that and everyone who does have a chemical imbalance should prove him wrong!!

TOM IS WRONG!!
    TOM IS WRONG!!

Old 06-29-2005, 03:19 PM   #15
    junglemonkey
    Veteran
    (female)

junglemonkey HB User

The trouble is, people listen to celebrities. They take in everything they say and if they happen to like that actor will tend to take on the same views.

Mental illness/disorder gets an INCREDIBLY bad write up in the media in all forms. It's sort of like other subjects were (homophobic attitudes, racism etc) but they've become way less tolerable and now it's not considered a good move to diss a homosexual etc... It will take a long time before words like crazy, psycho, lunatic etc become controversial and mental illness is treated with respect.

Truth is, I don't believe anyone who hasn't experienced mental illness can relate, it's just ridiculous. It's like trying to say "I know what it feels like to have a heart attack", when a heart attack victim would laugh in your face.

With anxiety, everyone thinks they've experienced it and you're weak and you're just neurotic and you should get your act together. A lot of ppl have given me stick for it but I'd like to see them come running when they think they're about to die having a panic attack! Tom Cruise is just being a prat and is just ignorant!!

Closed Thread