It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Anyone on or has taken Effexor XR??? 1st med ever, welcoming all comments!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-07-2005, 07:29 AM   #1
    Effexor XR
    (female)

Effexor XR HB User
    Anyone on or has taken Effexor XR??? 1st med ever, welcoming all comments!!

Hello everyone. I've had anxiety/depression for quite a few years. I've finally come to terms that I can't do it alone after all. I try to talk to a couple of people close to me, but they just don't understand, because they don't know what it's like. I know i need therapy but I'm not ready to go just yet. I want to make sure I'm going to commit myself 100%. Anyway, my doctor prescribed, Effexor XR and i've been on it for about 3 weeks or so, and I do feel better/sleep better, but I'm curious to know what other people are/have experienced/feeling.

thank you.

Last edited by Effexor XR; 07-07-2005 at 07:29 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2005, 07:44 AM   #2
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User
    Re: Anyone on or has taken Effexor XR??? 1st med ever, welcoming all comments!!

Hi there - I started Effexor XR about 3 weeks ago, I think this is my 4th week. I feel better in general, but I am still getting anxiety bouts every now and then. However, they aren't as severe and don't last as long. I've had a couple of sleepless nights which is very unusual for me, so I attribute it to the Effexor. I have also been sweaty at night sometimes. As far as side effects though this is it.

In general I feel a lot better physically, and I have more energy.

Old 07-07-2005, 12:24 PM   #3
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

the effexor should help a lot, early side effects can be a nusiance but usually stop after a few weeks

Old 07-07-2005, 12:30 PM   #4
    starznmyeyes
    (female)

starznmyeyes HB User

I took it for about 3 months a few years ago. I thought it made a big difference however the sleepiness side effect never went away for me. That's why I discontinued it.

Old 07-07-2005, 12:50 PM   #5
    amaranthine

amaranthine HB User

I've been taking Effexor for about 5 months for depression w/o anxiety.

I experienced most of the package insert's stated side effects, but mildly, and they went away within a month (with the exception of vivid dreaming during sleep, which I still have to this day).

It has helped a lot with feelings of sadness & helping me get motivated to run errands and all the wonderful things we put off when we are depressed. The only symptom that hasn't improved is that I'm tired all the time & can sleep for 15 hours straight, every day, if allowed!

Overall its been a help & I wish you the best of luck on it.

amaranthine

Old 07-08-2005, 04:49 AM   #6
    NVR2L8
    (female)

NVR2L8 HB User

Did it's job but made me gain 50lbs and memory loss. Withdrawals are hell also. If you have a caring doctor to help you get off of it when you are ready, go for it. It does what it is supposed to. I am suseptable to ALL of the side effects but you may be different.

Me.

Old 07-08-2005, 02:26 PM   #7
    MagicalDi
    (female)

MagicalDi HB User

I've been in it for about 6 months. I think it's worked pretty well. I still get a few episodes now and then, but not like before. I have noticed in the last couple of weeks more anxiety than I have had in the last few months. Not sure if it's my diet, or exercise, or the Effexor losing effect. I'm still way ahead of where I started last year.
    Good luck to you!

Old 07-09-2005, 08:55 AM   #8
    square
    (female)

square HB User

I'm glad i found this post. I've been searching for people who have posted their initial reactions to Effexor XR, because I just began taking it.

This is day #4 for me on Effexor XR. I used to take Paxil for my depression and social anxiety, which just made me numb. Effexor has the complete opposite effect. I feel like a huge cloud has been lifted.

As far as side effects, I feel like I have a caffeine high, but without the jitters. Its strange. I can't really sit still. And I yawn constantly, but I'm not tired at all. There was a little nausea at first, but that has subsided. I also haven't been sleeping, and when I do, its very lightly. Additionally, my appetite is completely gone.

Its a relief to read that these effects eventually go away for many people. I hope that will be the case here, because I am already able to see things and concentrate with so much more clarity.

Last edited by square; 07-09-2005 at 09:12 AM.

Old 07-09-2005, 10:22 AM   #9
    americandancer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

americandancer HB User

Square, what mg are you taking?

Old 07-09-2005, 11:30 AM   #10
    square
    (female)

square HB User

Hi americandancer.

I've started with 37.5 mg, and in three more days I am supposed to transition to 75 mg. I'm wondering how this will feel, because I don't want to be bouncing off the walls.

This is completely opposite from the Paxil, which made me a zombie.

Bye, for now!

Old 07-09-2005, 12:01 PM   #11
    square
    (female)

square HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Effexor XR
    Hello everyone. I've had anxiety/depression for quite a few years. I've finally come to terms that I can't do it alone after all. I try to talk to a couple of people close to me, but they just don't understand, because they don't know what it's like. I know i need therapy but I'm not ready to go just yet. I want to make sure I'm going to commit myself 100%. Anyway, my doctor prescribed, Effexor XR and i've been on it for about 3 weeks or so, and I do feel better/sleep better, but I'm curious to know what other people are/have experienced/feeling.

thank you.
    Hi Effexor XR.

What kind of side effects are you having, if any?

Old 07-09-2005, 03:59 PM   #12
    ajresovsky
    (male)

ajresovsky HB User

Hi,
    I was on 180 mgs for eleven months, havr depression/anxiety due to
    MVAccident>haven't been able to produce beta-blockers, nuerotranmitters
    that effect serutonin, dopamine and other chemicals that effect mood. Tried all kinds of SSRI's(Seratonine.Sephrarine Reuptake Inhibitors: Zoloft,
    Prozac, Paxil and Elavil. Was on elavil for five years, great sleep inducer,
    All of a sudden my shrink ( a profession analogous to vodoo, Whereras, vodoo is 'black' magic; psychiatry [ along with speaking in 'tongues'] is 'white' magic.{REMOVED} shrinks are just {REMOVED}of the mega-pharmaceotical industry. Enoug of my poltical spin.) gets this bug up his {REMOVED}to put me on this. and don;t tell you withdrawl is horrible!
    Effexor Xr is a great anti-depressan, only, like herion stopping is a frealin'two months of the worst mental torture immaginable, and for God's sake 'taper' off under doctors supervision {REMOVED}
    God Bless,
    A.J.
    Forget sex or maybe you can penetrate without an erection, and 'brian zaps'
    are a barrel of monkeys, along with 'night sweats' and migrains.
    And, like I said NEVER. never run out!

{REMOVED}

If you know that you should star out a word or any part of that word then it also would follow that you know you shouldn't use that word on this board at all. Please don't post website addresses. Finally don't edit your post days later simply to remove comments left by a Moderator as to why parts of your post were removed. Ms_Mod

Last edited by ms_mod; 07-12-2005 at 09:28 AM.

Old 07-10-2005, 07:46 AM   #13
    clovergirl
    (female)

clovergirl HB User

I took Effexor XR for about 6 months while I was in college. It helped a lot with the depression and anxiety. However, it made me shake so bad that one time I fell out of the chair in class. I also got severe "brain zaps" and had some depersonalization issues. I eventually had to go off of it due to the shaking. It was unsafe for me to drive like that. I definitely had to taper off the medication and it was still bad. I was prescribed Serzone to help me taper off but I think that's off the market now...???

Old 07-10-2005, 09:22 PM   #14
    Ever So Sweet
    (female)

Ever So Sweet HB User

I have been on anti depressents for years now. First paxil which worked wonders for me. It took my anxiety away completely and i was no longer depressed. Then it stopped working after several months so i quit taking it. (dont do that because let me tell you it made me so much worse quiting it cold turkey)
    I then was on Lexapro which left me so tired i couldnt stay up past 9.00. And having a job in retail i just couldnt handle it. I then was switched to cymbalta which made me so sick i couldnt hardly do anything! I am now on effexor xr 75mg. I started out on 37.5 for a week then went to 75mg. It is probably my second or third week. So far the only side effects I've had is my sleep wasnt as good at first like tossing and turning all night and unable to fall asleep. Other than that I havent had side effects which is wonderful. As far as how its working, It could still be to early to tell, but so far I have not really noticed a lot of difference. I still am depressed and extremely emotional, and my anxiety is still there just not as bad. It could be i need a higher dose but it could be also that it just hasnt run itself completely through my system. I pray this works becausxxxe if not, I'll start to lose hope because i really need something to help me. I suppose this is where the faith comes in..I hope for you that it works and makes you feel great again. I hope that for all of us here... Good Luck to youxxx

"Remember the end will justify the pain it took to get us there"

Old 07-12-2005, 05:47 AM   #15
    Effexor XR
    (female)

Effexor XR HB User

Thank you to everyone who replied. Sorry I didn't reply sooner (trouble with password/logging in).

Square, i'd say my only side effects seem to be yawning, tiredness and sexual right now-difficulty reaching orgasm. I've been on Effexor, going on three weeks now.

Overall I feel much better. I was going to go on Lexapro instead but I went with doc's recommendations. He said I could go on Lexapro if I wanted, but it seems as though I made the right choice.

Last edited by Effexor XR; 07-12-2005 at 06:43 AM.

Closed Thread