It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• beta blockers best BP meds for anxiety

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-08-2005, 03:13 PM   #1
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    beta blockers best BP meds for anxiety

anxiety sufferers who take meds for high blood pressure should insist on a beta blocker type med, IMO
    there are several different types of BP meds but only beta blockers also reduce the physical problems from anxiety such as rapid or thuding heartbeat, blushing, sweating, being startled,adrenalin surges, etc
    beta blockers arent advertised or promoted as they are out of patent with cheap generics available, so often docs dont think of them

any type of new BP med can take getting used to and some people need to try several of the same type to find 1 that suits them

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2005, 07:34 PM   #2
    MrsPM
    (female)

MrsPM HB User
    Re: beta blockers best BP meds for anxiety

I think beta blockers can be wonderful to treat anxiety. I take Inderal for my anxiety because my symptoms are usually a rapid, pounding heartbeat with the occasional sensation of a skipped beat. Since I've been on the medication, I've been much more relaxed.

Old 07-08-2005, 08:59 PM   #3
    starznmyeyes
    (female)

starznmyeyes HB User

I got a prescription for Inderal a long time ago just to try. The nurse who gave it to me said it was the type of thing that I could take when I needed it. I was taking it because of my blushing. I blush really bad when I get nervous or embarassed and it makes my anxiety worse cause I don't want to blush! Anyway, I didn't notice that it did anything for me. Maybe it wasn't a strong enough dose?? I only took it like maybe 1 or 2 times.

Old 07-09-2005, 06:52 AM   #4
    Bell99
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bell99 HB User

I take Inderal LA 80 . Have for a year and a half. You do need to be careful with the dose OR if you are prone to low blood pressure. I had my dose too high and fainted twice once at a Pet Store!
    I was prescribed it for rapid heart beat. I didn't notice it helping with anxiety much I had to add Lexapro to it and now I am doing a lot better.
    Another thing it helps with is Migraine Headaches.

Old 07-09-2005, 12:31 PM   #5
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

the dose does need carefull calculation by doc who should also monitor your blood pressure, some dont bother

Closed Thread