HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Anxiety (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/anxiety/)
-   -   convinced I have a terrible disease (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/anxiety/304477-convinced-i-have-terrible-disease.html)

uk_worried_guy 07-19-2005 11:45 AM

Re: convinced I have a terrible disease

My doctor tried me on, amongst other things, propranolol hydrochloride, to deal with anxiety. While yes, it got rid of the *physical symptoms* of the anxiety, it did nothing to help me with the mentally tiring constant stress of being utterly convinced i have some horrible terminal illness.

And, yes, i also find that the amount of time i waste online researching symptoms and illnesses and things is truly outstanding and, actually - when i think about it - quite embarassing. But, on the plus side, i could probably sit a medical exam now, and not fail ;-)

sponge70 07-19-2005 10:38 PM

I Know How Everbody Feels Here. My Problem Is Dizziness And Jelly Legs. I Have To Hang On To A Cart In The Stores. I Too Look Up Everything In My Medical Books Which I Have Enough To Fill A Library. I Have Been On Xanax And Imipramine For About 10 Years Now. The Xanax Lifts My Mood But Does Nothing For My Dizziness.
Reenie

Jitterygal 07-20-2005 07:11 AM

I've probably said this before, but jelly legs is my main symptom--it is so annoying!!!! :mad: But it is getting better--I just try to make the best of it and keep smiling while gritting my teeth... :D Jitterygal

atomato 07-21-2005 03:53 PM

Hello fellow health worriers,

That's me too, I've been this way my whole life. Sometimes I'm fine for a couple of years and then it just hits me again. I've had problems with muscle twitches for about five year now and everytime they start getting really noticeable I start freaking out. I've been to the neurologist several times, had MRIs, EMGs and my condition is benign. I currently am convinced I have Parkinson's, last month I thought I had ALS. My prayers go out to anyone who has these things. My current systems are the twitches, muscle jerks before I fall asleep (and I sometimes feel like I'm jerking a little during the day and am totally obessessed with this at the moment), pressure in the back of my head, shakiness all over. I take Gabapentin (generic Neurontin) and will be starting Klonopin tomorrow. I would like to recommend a book to all of you that I just started reading. It's called "It's Not All In Your Head: How worrying about your health could be making you sick, and what you can do about it." It's by Gordon J. G. Asmundson and Steven Taylor, both health psychologists. They start the book off with some patient stories and after I read the first one I said, " Oh my God, that's me!!" Hopefully I'm allowed to recommend books in this post. I think this one will help me and hopefully it will help some of you too. Try not to worry!

mandaj 07-22-2005 04:54 AM

Last year I had a mild illness. It cleared up after a few weeks but has left me with anxiety cause everytime I get the slightest ache or pain I convince my self its serious. I have never worried about my health before. I am now a nervous wreck. If I get a headache I have a tumour, stomach pain I have cancer and so on. I did throw away my big medical book because I was constantly looking up my symptoms and diagnosing myself!

I am on medication for past 4 weeks which is helping. I have been refered for couselling which I think will really help as well.

I just want to feel normal again. Sometimes I feel like I am in some kind of fog. My head feels muzzy and I feel spaced out if that makes sense.

chester4 07-22-2005 06:24 AM

mandaj- It all makes sense to me as it is just like what I have been through. I saw some blood in my stool and then became obsessed. I was too anxious to have a colonoscopy and began having panic attacks. When your head feels "muzzy" it may be a little panic going on. I have just started on Paxil which is an antidepressant but also very helpful with anxiety and panic. I hope it works for me and pray that you will also have some relief!

dinney 07-22-2005 07:06 AM

Truly understand all that you are going through..have dealt with anxiety/depression for so many years..lost my father when I was 18, he was only 45 and had a massive heart attack at home..I was the oldest of 9 children at home...my mom was a stay at home mom, not much money so FELT like I should be the caretaker..then married when I was 19 to a man that thought I was his mother and I also took that role on too..we were married for 28 yrs...he wouldn't hold a job down so I worked 3..anyway..mentally and physically I was shot..started the panic attacks/depression..not good..medication/counseling helped..had 2 sons that just didnt' understand because dad would say "oh your mom is doing "her thing"..Anyway, need to shorten this drama..got a divorce..went through being stalked, harassed for several years by my X..It's been 13 yrs. since divorce..still going through anxiety from time to time..think I have heart problems, then it's cancer, then it's something else..My dr. is about sick of me but not as sick of me as I am of myself...taking anti-anxiety pills (have for about 20 yrs. I think)..she tries me on an anti-depressent but then I can't/don't want to deal with side effects..I already have dizziness, blurry vision, foggy vision, just feel rotten most days anyway...

Hey sorry this is so long but haven't talked to anyone about all of this forever and sometimes it helps to just have someone to talk too...Thanks and God Bless...

Jitterygal 07-22-2005 08:01 AM

Dinney,
Sorry to hear of your pain--I wish I could do something to help...I had an unsupportive husband when I was having panic attacks, too, and he used to ignore me when I would run to his side for comfort. But I had the support of my family, and that helped. I finally divorced my husband, too, and it was like a breath of fresh air!! If you have any family who understands, lean on them...also, there are many support groups that may help. I went to one for a while that was an hour from my house, but it was worth the drive to have that support system...I will pray for you, Jitterygal