It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Anyone tried therapy with 5HTP for Anxiety?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-19-2005, 03:24 PM   #1
    WildStrawberry
    Inactive
    (male)

WildStrawberry HB User
    Question Anyone tried therapy with 5HTP for Anxiety?

Anyone ever tryed this? It is an amino acid, a percursor to serotonin. A supplement you can buy in health food stores and grocery stores, a natural alternative way of treating anxiety & depression without the severe side effects and withdrawals associated with SSRI's.

I've read that there have been some studies that this has been more effective than Prozac in some individuals. Everyone responds to substances differently, so I guess it could vary quite a bit.

Anyway,

Anyone have any success with this?

I would like to eventually try it out if I ever get myself weaned off of Paxil
    I'm down to 10mg but I'm having a hell of a time, been down to 10mg for a little over a week now from 20mg for 3-4months and getting the brain zaps, increased anxiety and low grade fever, as well as decreased appetite and intense vivid dreams... I hope these fade soon becuase I still have to go from 10mg to 5mg and then down to zero. The paxil was making my depression worse but did help with anxiety/panic.

Anyway, any experiences with 5htp? I will be starting this after I get off paxil if my panic attacks return.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2005, 10:20 AM   #2
    WildStrawberry
    Inactive
    (male)

WildStrawberry HB User
    Re: Anyone tried therapy with 5HTP for Anxiety?

Anyone out here?

bump ... haven't got an answer yet..

Thanks

Old 07-25-2005, 10:38 AM   #3
    Derangea
    (female)

Derangea HB User

I haven't had any experience with it but am really interested in it now because maybe that will get rid of my morning dread. Because now all I'm on is a mood stabilizer. I'll look into it more.

Old 07-25-2005, 11:25 AM   #4
    iluvtolaff
    (female)

iluvtolaff HB User

I've been on 5-HTP for 3 months now. I take 50 mg., before breakfast (should take on an empty stomach) and I noticed a difference right away. I'm much calmer but still energetic. It's helped more than anything else I've tried (St. John's Wort, Valerian, Paxil, Lexapro......)!

Old 07-25-2005, 02:37 PM   #5
    harleydavidson
    (male)

harleydavidson HB User

Wild strwberry About the withdrawals they will go away. Iwas on Klonopin for 13 years so I know some thing about meds. I weaned off for 2 year period the reason is I took it so long and I wanted to make sure it was out of my Syetem. But you need to do this weaning with doctors help ok not recommended by your self because these meds are dangerous with stopping suddenly. This is what I recommend I heard great great things about 5htp its natural to low if any side effects. Plus we need to quit going to doctor's and asking him for a quick fix or meds ask him to give you a cure a med is not a cure its a covering of what is really wrong. I don't take any thing now nothing not even natural go see a holistic doctor why they don't recommend meds they do things natural and it works I been off all meds for 8 months and Im liveing a free vibrant life and you to can and thats without meds. We need to wake up to the drugs there feeding us and so no once and for all there doing more damage then good I hope some thing I said helped be Blessed I answered your post once before let me know how your doing ok

Old 07-25-2005, 04:19 PM   #6
    MMS1
    (male)

MMS1 HB UserMMS1 HB User

Don't bother! I just was on Lexapro for almost six weeks and it did NOTHING for my Anxiety (and my anxiety is bad), however, it did cause me to be more depressed!!! I just got myself off it and will look for alternate methods for my anxiety. I believe as with all the research I've done, ABSOLUTELY NONE of these Anti-depressants will help anxiety sufferer,, NONE!!!! That's why they're called "anti-depressants" (should be a clue)! They don't even help alot of depression sufferers,, (GREAT MEDICATION) but often make their depression WORSE and then cause them ADDITIONAL Anxiety to boot! Don't take my word,, just research these boards and you'll find More then Plenty who will attest to that! It's kind of like given some body a skin cream medication to help with a "toothache"!
    Ninety nine percent of the entire medical profession has gone Anti-depressant HAPPY, prescribing these Marvelous little pills that make you Sicker before they "MAY" help,, big "MAY", cause nobody really knows if it will help you or not (that's why so many have little or NO success over and over again as they willingly play "guinea pig") and more and more warnings are on the news on TV in the paper,,everywhere about the DANGEROUS of these little researched and potentially HAZARDOUS drugs,, it's gambling with your health!!! As long as they all get their Huge kick backs ($$$$$$$$) from the Fabulous DRUG COMPANIES that push these pills at us so "Un-caringly", that's all they give a crap about!!! Our society has gotten so Nuts with all this "Anti-depressant" craze,, they've even developed a "dog" anti-depressant,,, tell me things are'nt out of control! I'm waiting to see a post from someone's family Beagle who has complaints about "weight gain" and "loss of sex drive"!!!!!!
    So, all I can say is, I'm staying as far from all this as possible and will seek "natural" and "non-brain tampering," safer methods of dealing with my high Anxiety. It's all tooooo easy to give in to the temptation the doctors throw at you with these little pills, but believe me, I've gone to several and they're ALL THE SAME,, they care more about making the PROFITS off you then your well being! It's time we let the medical profession and Drug companies know that we will NOT BE "LAB RATS" at their expense!

Old 07-25-2005, 05:51 PM   #7
    bocana
    (female)

bocana HB User

Hey MMS1,
    Know this is a bit off topic, but you mentioned how they give dogs anti-depressants and I have a bad story to tell about this.
    Few years ago, my 13 yr. old dog was collapsed and couldn't walk due to pain in her front leg. Rushed her to animal ER, where she spent the night. Next day was told she was a "hysterical dog" and the x-rays showed nothing,

They recommended doggie Prozac. So I went along with this, because they are the experts, right?. Anyway my dog still couldn't walk, but I was still waiting for the drug
    to kick in. After 8 days of hearing her crying, went to another vet.

She had a lymph cancer in the area of that front leg! And due to her age, a poor prognosis. (I put her down a month later, very sad)

Please everyone, did not tell this story to freak anyone out about their own experiences and perhaps their own need for meds., but that experience really messed me up! I still imagine suing that vet! Precribing mood alternating drugs for an animal in pain!!! Sorry for my rant!

Old 07-26-2005, 10:29 PM   #8
    MMS1
    (male)

MMS1 HB UserMMS1 HB User

Don't appologize, being an animal lover and having a dog myself, I thouroughly understand your frustration and heartship!!! I would've personally fed that Vet a couple years supply of "anti-depressants" at one dose! This is why I have such OUTRAGE about the obusive prescribing of these Brain Altering meds which people are running to their doctors for like CANDY!!! As mentioned, I've suffered HORRIBLE General Anxiety Disorder for Six months now and could'nt wait to get off the Lexapro after being on it for almost six weeks! I'm now two days off it and though I don't feel Great,, I feel better then when I was on that garbage!!
    If all these people who think this is the "CURE" to all their problems would just realize it's not only the easy way out (due to all the HORRIBLE side effects getting on it, or never being able to get off it), but the longer you're on it, the more it wears off and you need more and more, or have to start from scratch with a new one (and the nightmare starts all over again)!! Your brain my acclimate to the drug in time,, but to what expense?? Giving yourself a "Labotomy" is'nt my idea of "CURING" the problem, it's just COVERING IT UP!
    You know it's really funny (not funny but dumb). I've been asked by several people, "if you had diabetes, would'nt you take insulin"? Well, Yes I would,,however insulin does'nt give you all the SICK SIDE EFFECTS that these anti-depressants give you!! Insulin is also a "PROVEN" medication in diabetes treatment!!!! They don't give you one type of insulin for a couple months while you vomit, crawl the walls with anxiety, get suicidal thoughts, have horrible insomnia, brain zaps, weight gain, weight loss, sweats, loss of sex drive, and walk around lathargic like a ZOMBIE without any of your NORMAL emotions or feelings and then when that one does'nt work,, pull you off it and put you on another one,, over and over untill they find one that works!!!!!!!!!!!!! And by that time your condition has gotten worse while waiting for a "cure" (band aide) or you don't find any relief and have just spent month destroying brain cells! They JUST GIVE YOU INSULIN BECAUSE IT WORKS,,, PLAIN AND SIMPLE!!! Diabetic sufferers are'nt used as "lab rats" like the people who can't wait to be put on these Anti-depressants,,, DRUG CHOICE of all those money hungry medical pros!!! Pro's YEA, RIGHT! And that's my two cents.

My deepest sympathys go out to you on the loss of your dog! I can only hope the vet that did this suffers for it!!

Good luck,
    MMS1

Last edited by MMS1; 07-26-2005 at 10:34 PM.

Old 07-27-2005, 05:53 AM   #9
    ms_mod

ms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB User

Just a reminder to everyone.
    Just because a medication didn't work for you, or you had a problem with it that doesn't mean it won't be the right medication for someone else.

If you chose not to take medication, that's fine too...but for some people medication is the only thing that helps them.

Please remember that because something was right for you, doesn't mean it will be right for someone else.

Taken in part from the posting rules....." remember that what's right or has worked for one person may not be what's right for you. Your personal set of circumstances will always influence what's best or right for you. Talk with your physician or personal health professional about the benefits, risks and costs of various options and alternatives in order to make an informed, confident personal choice."

Old 07-27-2005, 06:22 AM   #10
    iluvtolaff
    (female)

iluvtolaff HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Synthesize
    iluvtolaugh: How long did it take for you to notice a change? Did it help with panic attacks at all? ALso - do you take your 5HTP with VitaminB6, I've heard that 5HTP needs to be taken with VitaminB6 in order for it to cross the BBB properly.

I too believe that 5HTP is probably far superior to Paxil, or any other SSRI's. THe only SSRI I've been on is Paxil, and well it did help my anxiety/panic, it made my depression worse, turned me into a maniac, and is HELL still trying to come off.

The SSRI's I might try in the future are Lexapro, or Prozac.
    I noticed the difference within 2 hours of taking it. I have high anxiety but not panic attacks so I don't know about it helping those. I take it in the morning, before breakfast, on an empty stomach so it absorbs better. I, also, take a vitamin B complex but didn't know about that theory.

Old 07-27-2005, 07:11 AM   #11
    rouge
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rouge HB User

I would like to try the 5HTP. Where would I buy this and is the dosage info on the box? Would I need to see a natural doc. to use this? Also what about the therapy part? I don't know how therapy could help my anxiety. Don't they just slowly make you face the things you are afraid of until you are not afraid anymore? I know that does work but most of my anxiety is perceived threats and worries. Nothing really tangible. I mean I am afraid to fly and I could prob. conquer that. My fear of dying is different. There is no specific thing. I would love to try something natural and it's sounds like this may help. Please let me know how to get some of this. I will also do some searches online. I just don't know the validity of some of the online places.
    Thanks so much.
    Melissa

Closed Thread