It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• going off paxil... support please!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-24-2005, 10:05 AM   #1
    twizliz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twizliz HB User
    going off paxil... support please!

I have decided to wean off of Paxil. I went to the dr the other day, and told her how great I have been feeling, and wanted to try going off it. I have also gained 30 pounds since going on it (from 177 to 207) in one year. I feel that it's best for my health to go off of it now. I switched to taking it in the morning, and so far it seems to be helping. I went from 60 mg to 40. I have been taking the 40 for the past 3 days. I feel somewhat more anxious, but I am trying to refocus my attention, and when I feel I need it, taking a Xanax.

Has anyone else had success going off Paxil? And what was it like? Did you lose a lot of weight (the weight is not the sole reason I am going off it...like I said, I have been feeling better).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2005, 03:31 PM   #2
    Teth
    (male)

Teth HB User
    Re: going off paxil... support please!

hi Twizliz, congratulations! I think you are taking control of your life by choosing to not depend on a pill.. I feel very happy for you.

I used to take Paxil and clonozepan to 'treat' my panick attacks (2-3 times a day), anxiety and depression. Weaning off clonozepan was no problem.

Paxil was a little tough for me.. just remember, if you are committed to stop taking it you must follow through. It took me three times to finally leave 'the drug' which had turned into the root of the problem. The first two times I failed because I had not done my homework I did no research in the matter.

I did many things that combined helped me leave all meds... I don't even take aspirin for headaches (no headaches)..

I'll tell you what I did if you are interested.. Good Luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Serenity

Old 07-24-2005, 03:51 PM   #3
    twizliz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twizliz HB User

yes, I'm very interested!

I have started doing yoga which has helped some.

Old 07-24-2005, 04:36 PM   #4
    Johna
    Veteran
    (female)

Johna HB User

Went off paxil and onto zoloft. Thought I was going crazy when I was going off paxil. Taking the zoloft seemed to help. Good Luck!

Old 07-24-2005, 04:41 PM   #5
    twizliz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twizliz HB User

I tried weaning off paxil and going onto zoloft a few months ago. The zoloft made me suicidal. I just decied that I wanted to deal with my anxiety drug free... and see how it works.

Old 07-24-2005, 04:42 PM   #6
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

zoloft and paxil are the same type of med
    a gradual taper is generally best for quitting paxil, xanax a valium type med, does help with any paxil problems

Old 07-24-2005, 05:06 PM   #7
    Teth
    (male)

Teth HB User

hi again twizliz,
    So here is my advice... change things in your life.. doing Yoga is excellent (I do hot yoga which helps me sweat more toxins out), exercice, go out and enjoy walking.. take supplements (very important) .. B complex 1000mg is very good, I usually take this with EstherC, multivit, CoralCalcium with Magnesium and Fish Oil. Check out your eating habits...I stopped eating three big meals and split lunch in two and dinner in two, so I eat 5 times a day (smaller meals which is better for digestion).. less sugars (pop, sweets, etc you get the picture) as these might be one of the causes for anxiuosness.. drink lots of water (plain H2o).

Now the weaning-off part is going to be tough.. The doc told me that it took 1 month to wean off it and another month for my body to be 'free' of it. So whatever I felt afterwards would be just 'me'. And let me tell you.. I felt ' alot of me'! LOL -> strong panic attacks and stuff. Now I don't know about the 1 month being free of it.. I think he was just ignorant.. I now know we have to detox our body.

So make a plan with your Doc to wean-off the Paxil (cut dosses, then some days yes, some days no.. you get the pic) and after a month (this is what I did) take St. John's Wort and Camomile Tea at night. (and of course all your other supplements)

See how it goes with St.John's Wort and after a month or so slowly wean-off the St. John's Wort. and there you go! See? It's simple .. but not EASY! LOL

Patience! be very patient and do not rush it.

Sometimes all we need is a change in our lifestyles, eating habits and supplements.

I hope this helps you as it did me
    Good Luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Serenity

Old 07-24-2005, 05:13 PM   #8
    twizliz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twizliz HB User

thank you so much for your post.... I have heard a lot about B vitamins, and I'm going to stock up tomorrow on them! LOL

I know the road ahead isn't easy, but things that are important rarely are!

Old 07-24-2005, 05:50 PM   #9
    NiceguyEddie
    (male)

NiceguyEddie HB User

Warning: be prepared for your original "disorder" reasserting itself once the Paxil is out of your system. I've been off Paxil for more than 2 years and this is my life - anxiety, panic, depression, anxiety, panic, depression, etc... I'm worse off now than before I started on Paxil! So much so, that I am planning to restart the meds to regain a sense of normalcy.

Please wean yourself down slowly to minimize withdrawal, but be prepared for the possibility of rebound anxiety/depression due to the (lack of) Paxil leaving your brain in a low serotonin state. See if you can manage OK without the med, but go back on if you find you can't.

By the way, weightloss isn't really a problem once you're off. I did Atkins and did manage to lose a lot of weight that way.

Old 07-25-2005, 10:39 AM   #10
    twizliz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twizliz HB User

The main reason I was on Paxil was anxiety due to a relationship and college. Well I'm out of both of them now. So, hopefully it won't return, since most of the other problems are gone. My dr said that since my anxiety was related to school and the bad relationship I should be okay going off of it.

Happy stories only, please!

Old 07-26-2005, 12:25 AM   #11
    curiouslearner
    (male)

curiouslearner HB User

Teth: (I do hot yoga which helps me sweat more toxins out)

What do you mean by "toxins"?

Old 07-30-2005, 09:13 PM   #12
    Teth
    (male)

Teth HB User

curiouslearner, a little-bit on sweat (yes, yes 'yuk-yuk)

"..Our skin contains sweat glands and oil glands, both of which help us move things through the skin. Sweat gets rid of water-soluble toxins, and even helps to eliminate toxic heavy metals such as mercury and cadmium. Oil glands help remove oil-soluble toxins such as gasoline, solvents, pesticides and ingredients in toothpaste and personal care products, which the body is not able to dispose of unless heavy sweat is provoked. It is generally thought that the longer the skin is heated, the more oil-soluble toxins are eliminated. Even if one half to one percent of the sweat is carrying out heavy toxins we are greatly assisting the body’s elimination needs.."

Serenity

Old 07-30-2005, 10:39 PM   #13
    Teth
    (male)

Teth HB User
    Lightbulb Re: going off paxil... support please!

NiceguyEddie, you are absolutely right, hope this helps..

After reading so much about the drugs I was taking and seeing the path I was going.. I started weighing the positives and negatives of it.. and I came to this analogy:
    "when I almost broke my ankle (sports) they put a cast on and gave me crutches (I was like that for 1 month, it sucked). But the time came when I had to take off the cast and let my body heal. Rehab was painful and my tendons and muscles where killing me. Sure, the cast gave me support and I could not feel pain when I had it, but would I want to continue like that? "

paxil did help me mask off my panic attacks and anxiety but in no way did I see it as a means of healing my body or as a long term alternative. I think everyone has there own time when they decide 'that's enough'.

..I agree, once paxil is out of your system, your body might and most probably will have drug withdrawal symptoms.

So there is two issues to deal with:

1) Drug withdrawl symptoms - what can I say? it will be tough (get support, try to get your mind into doing other things.. help less fortunate people to get your mind off it) it's different for anyone.. took me several tries.

2) Your own anxieties or causes - you have to deal with them. Once the drug is out, guess what.. the stressors are still there. The drug did not fix anything.. it's just numbs you.

It's all about balance. I know that now and I think this is the key.. I thought that the solution was to substitute one thing for another, you must see all aspects of your life and work in those areas that need improvement. It's different for everyone.. In my part I changed many things, so I can't say it was one specific thing that helped me. Put good things into your body and mind (foods, vits+supplem, no sugars,etc).. exercise... help others.. make goals..

Serenity

Old 08-02-2005, 05:35 AM   #14
    twizliz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twizliz HB User

Quote:
    "when I almost broke my ankle (sports) they put a cast on and gave me crutches (I was like that for 1 month, it sucked). But the time came when I had to take off the cast and let my body heal. Rehab was painful and my tendons and muscles where killing me. Sure, the cast gave me support and I could not feel pain when I had it, but would I want to continue like that? "

Wow... that is such an astounding thought... during the difficult times I am going to think about that and that analogy.

I am doing well.. almost two weeks on the 40 and going strong!

Liz

Old 08-02-2005, 06:04 AM   #15
    Nipitnthebud
    (female)

Nipitnthebud HB User

I took zoloft for 13 years and tried many times to wean myself off from it. Feeling like I was getting the flu everytime. {REMOVED}

Last edited by ms_mod; 08-02-2005 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Please don't offer off board contact of any kind. Thanks, Ms_Mod

Closed Thread