It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Starting Lexapro Problems

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-27-2005, 05:48 AM   #1
    jls00

jls00 HB User
    Starting Lexapro Problems

Took lexapro yesterday for the first time. Followed with one of the worst anxiety nights ever. Woke up at 4:00am with heart racing - thought I was gonna die. Any connection to the initial lexapro?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2005, 07:53 AM   #2
    SirReal
    (male)

SirReal HB User
    Re: Starting Lexapro Problems

Absolutely related. It will often get worse before it gets better on the first week of Lexapro. Don't get too discouraged because this is very common when starting it. I can't remember anyone on this board ever saying otherwise about it, and it was the same for me.

Old 07-27-2005, 07:56 AM   #3
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

So the first week of Lexapro is usually a bad one and can cause more anxiety? Does it cause nausea and stuff like that?

Old 07-27-2005, 08:09 AM   #4
    MMS1
    (male)

MMS1 HB UserMMS1 HB User

{REMOVED}

As stated several times on this board....What works for one person may not work for someone else. It works the other way also, if something didn't work for you, that doesn't mean it won't work for someone else. Thanks, Ms_Mod

Last edited by ms_mod; 07-27-2005 at 09:55 AM.

Old 07-27-2005, 08:37 AM   #5
    WannaBeFreeToRoam
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User

Hi jls,

I have been on Lexapro for about 5-6 weeks. First I took 5 mg, then was upped to 10 mg after a week, then, after about 4 weeks, i was upped to 15 mg. It has helped me alot. You really need to ask your dr. for something additional to help with the anxiety, til the lexapro kicks in. I hear that it takes about 6 weeks. I have changed doses twice, so have not really been on 1 particular dose for 6 weeks. I am fixing to ask my dr. for just a few valium for the really bad days. That helps too.

Some people can take lexapro and it works, and some people can take it and all it causes is problems! But it does take time for it to work.

Hope you feel better. Take care. Wannabe

Old 07-27-2005, 09:08 AM   #6
    jls00

jls00 HB User

That's good to know. So how long before it really got better for you? Also, did it give you any sleeping problems?

Old 07-27-2005, 09:40 PM   #7
    WannaBeFreeToRoam
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi jls,

Each time I changed doses of Lexapro, I would have a little anxiety. But, I did have a few valium to use when I went somewhere really stressful! I would guess it took me a week or two, to hardly have any anxiety. Just remember different meds work differently for different people!!!

Oh yeah - about the sleeping problems. If I took it too late in the evening, I would have trouble sleeping. You need to take it either morning, noon, or early afternoon (say, 4 or 5 at the latest - of course it also depends on when you go to bed and how early you have to wake up!).

I hope you find a med that helps you, be it Lexapro or something else.

Take care. Wannabe

Old 07-28-2005, 12:45 PM   #8
    chupa
    (female)

chupa HB User

lexapro is a horrendous drug for anxiety,it caused such bad anxiety to my already anxious state,that i was almost hospitalized!im going off it now
    p.s i stuck with it for over 2 months,and it never got better

Old 07-28-2005, 02:32 PM   #9
    woodfaery
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

woodfaery HB User

Oh my gosh Chupa, sorry to hear that. Well the first time I got on Lexapro I felt terrible and I think it took a few months to balance everything out for me. All in all this med worked excellent for me. I got off of it thinking I didnt need it anymore and a different doctor put me on Celexa. It didnt work well, it was really strange for me I felt mostly apathetic on it, really blah. So I eventually got back on Lexapro and today I am still on it. This second time getting back on Lexapro I had the same miserable anxiety which was massively intense (just like the first time.) now I have been on it probably 3 months I think now. This medication so far is the best for me. No depression, very little anxiety (no more severe panic attacks thank god) no weight gain, no other disfunctions or effects. Occasionally I get dehydrated, but I am sure to drink plenty of water.This medication either works wonders for people or doesnt. Its either one or the other I have heard. Hope all of you are doing well, whether you are on Lexapro or some other medication for anxiety...all I can say is that sometimes these medications give a whole lot of relief. God bless.
    WF

Old 07-28-2005, 03:10 PM   #10
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to jis
    ask doc about reducing the dose, anxiety sufferers often need a small starting dose to help their systems get used to the lexapro, valium type meds also help
    lexapro takes 2 to 6 weeks to work, with a small chance it wont work at all

Old 07-28-2005, 07:47 PM   #11
    opiateskill000

opiateskill000 HB User

whatsup guys i'm mike and i'm starting lexapro tomorrow for anxiety and depression. since my main problem is anxiety, my doctor is starting me on 1/4 of a 10mg pill (as stated earlier, those suffering from anxiety usually have the worst symptoms while adjusting to SSRI's). i have the pills now, but i'm supposed to take it with Neurontin (mild anxiety drug, not a benzo, not addictive; also helps balance the central nervous system or somethin), since the neurontin can help counteract the side effects of Lexapro. well i'll be posting more once i start taking the medicine, but i just wanted to get some opinions from any of you who have used it to your benefit (read previous sentence carefully before replying ;-)).

Old 07-28-2005, 09:22 PM   #12
    WannaBeFreeToRoam
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Mike,

If you are talking about Lexapro, I have mainly had good effects from it. See my posts on this thread from a day or two ago (2). The only other things I can think to tell you about Lexapro are, I probably should not have advanced upping my doses so early. Probably should have waited at least 1 mo. in between. But my dr. is the one that told me how and when to do it. I may ask to be upped to 20 mg. in a month or two. I just really have a stressful situation going on now - with no close end in sight! Also, I can really tell if I have missed taking my Lexapro by an hour or 2 (late). It really reminds me! I start getting anxious if I do not take it at the same time or before. And there is a little mild anxiety under the skin or way down deep in your body, til you get used to taking it. But it is nothing like before Lexapro!

Let me know how it goes with both your meds. Especially how the Neurontin helps, or makes you feel or whatever! Did a family dr. or someone else prescribe this for you? I do not know if my GP would add the Neurontin, so next time I go, I will just ask for a few additional valium (for the most stressful times of the week).

Talk back to us. Take care. Wannabe

Old 12-07-2005, 02:07 PM   #13
    jennyVee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User

Hi guys not to scare anyone but I just read an article onlin about lexapro related to suicidal thpughts? I was going to ask my doc for it but i changed my mind since my brain is such a mess already as it is I wouldnt want that to happen has this happened to anyone

Old 12-07-2005, 02:28 PM   #14
    SRMom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SRMom HB User

In my opinion, people who take antidepressants for depression, may already be prone to suicide thoughts and it could just be a coincidence that they come after beginning the medication. I've heard that many AD's are not recommended for young people and children because of a risk for suicide...I'm not sure what age has to do with it other than young people may feel more helpless. I hate AD's myself, felt sick taking them, so I could see why you'd feel despair if you were told you needed them even if you felt sick on them.

Old 12-07-2005, 02:42 PM   #15
    jennyVee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User

Hi SRMOM. I guess your right and these medss do help some, but now of course i am a bit scared of taking them and with my ocd I wont be able to stop thinking about that side effect, aghh

Closed Thread