It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Talking in my Head..Anyone else understand?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-02-2005, 11:29 AM   #1
    Ellenc
    (female)

Ellenc HB User
    Talking in my Head..Anyone else understand?

I suffer from depression, anxiety, and compulsiveness. For many years now I constantly talk in my head and sometimes sing. This talking is not other oustside voices but my own. The only time I know I do not do this is when I'm sleeping. You have heard the phrase "thinking to myself". What I'm talking about is different. At times, it wears me out. I feel as though I have no mind rest. I have had this problem for many years. Is there anyone out there reading this and know what I'm talking about? I have a Psychiatrist. I told her about this and she just nods as if it is normal. Just wondering if anyone knows what I'm talking about.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2005, 11:46 AM   #2
    Comptons
    Veteran

Comptons HB User
    Re: Talking in my Head..Anyone else understand?

I'm not sure I have it like you, but I definitely have a racing mind - especially when I lay down at night. I'll try to say my prayers and my mind will wander to 100 different things before I have to remind myself of what I'm doing - praying. I don't know if this is what you do or not - but I think you're okay. It's not like hearing other voices in your head - that would probably worry me more.

Old 08-02-2005, 11:52 AM   #3
    Blue102

Blue102 HB User

Well I think you know when something isn't 'normal'--if you think that it's a problem, then it probably is. I think most people talk to themselves in their head, but maybe this is different for you. I'm thinking about when I was a kid, I used to have a running 'book' in my head...it's hard to explain...but basically I was writing a book about the things that were going on around me, narration and all, in my head at all times. It drove me nuts that I did this, but I couldn't stop. It was a sort of OCD/anxiety thing. (That did go away.) But when I tried to tell people, nobody could understand what I was talking about, or how irritating it was for me!

It is probably an anxiety or OCD habit that you've got, in my opinion. Are you on any meds?

You said you've had this problem for years...it will probably go away eventually. I've found that (most) all my irritating anxious habits go away after a while, but you have to wait them out.

Old 08-02-2005, 12:11 PM   #4
    Punkdizzle
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Punkdizzle HB User

i dont know if its what your talking about but i talk in my head alot.. even argue with myself at times like " man i wanna buy this but should i really waste the money.. i dont need it, oh come on you know you want it so just get it " i dont know if that made any sense but thats how it goes on in my mind i never really thought it was weird or wrong that i talk to myself in my head and answer myself.. i guess its just how i think and make decisions sometimes..

Old 08-02-2005, 02:29 PM   #5
    SadFreek
    Veteran
    (male)

SadFreek HB User

I talk to myself in m,y head too...a lot. Too much probably. Its like we have conversations, long ones, in our heads with ourselves?

Not voices, but thinking...

Old 08-02-2005, 11:38 PM   #6
    kitkat77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kitkat77 HB User

I do this too - the singing one as well. I believe they are exaggerated or heightened normal behaviors, due to anxiety.

Anyone can think a thought. Those of us with anxiety however, also think ABOUT thinking a thought and analyze it all on top of it. It can cause us to be too precise in our thinking and allows us to hear and speak to our inner voice loud and clear (in our heads).

It's the same thing with the singing. Anyone can hear a song in their head, but not everyone can precisely hear everything in detail like we can. If we wanted to we could single out each instrument, be the singer, or play it in our heads EXACTLY like it's coming off the radio.

This part of anxiety can be a gift, if you learn to control it as opposed to being swept up by it. If you just want rid of it all, try some xanax.

Old 08-03-2005, 05:46 AM   #7
    Effexor XR
    (female)

Effexor XR HB User

I definitely use to talk to myself wayyy too much, to the point I'd get dizzy or just couldn't divert my attention somewhere else because of all the conversations, that were going on in my head. I always thought my main and only problem was ADD, I took adderall for a little bit and it did help but I stopped and eventually I got to the point where I just couldn't sleep anymore because of all the talking, and i decided to start Effexor XR, which changed all that.

Old 08-03-2005, 01:01 PM   #8
    Ellenc
    (female)

Ellenc HB User

I thank each one of you for responding to my question on "talking". I got some really good feedback. I am taking meds. Presently, I am taking Prozac, Trazodone,Wellbutrin, and Buspirone. I have been taking meds for over 10 years now. I have been on several type meds and combinations. I was on Effexor XR years ago. I took it until it had no effect on me. The combination I am taking now is very helpful to me. Especially the depression and compulsive behavior.
    KitKat 77....You described the condition very well.
    It is so nice to have support and understanding from all of you. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. EC

Closed Thread