It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• clonazepam/klonopin?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-02-2005, 10:28 PM   #1
    catznbrats
    (female)

catznbrats HB User
    Question clonazepam/klonopin?

I will try and make this short. I suffer from depression and anxiety attacks. I am currently taking 40mg of prozac and was just weaned off of wellbutrin because of anger issues. I use to take antivan as needed for panic attacks but haven't needed it in awhile. I finally started seeing an actual psychiatrist to help adjust medications. I am going through a lot of stress right now. My husband died in an explosion at work 3 years ago and the cobra insurance will be running out at the end of the month. I work at a school and get riffed at the end of the year with hopes of being called back for the new year. I just had an abnormal mammogram which thank god can back ok. I am scheduled for and edometrial biopy for some break through bleeding. I have two grandmas who are dying and a mother in law who is in a nursing home do to a fall. Since my anxiety is overwhelming the Pysch dr put in on clonazepam 1/2 mg in morning at 3 and a full tablet at night. I do feel it is helping me sleep and is taking the edge off the anxiety. People have told me I have the appearance of being drunk. I am a little unsteady on my feet but can function pretty normally. I called dr and he said some of these side effects may go away. I have a appt in two weeks. Can anyone else give me some information on this drug and what affects it had, is it the generic of klonopin? Thanks for your help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2005, 11:17 PM   #2
    siren1024
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

siren1024 HB User
    Re: clonazepam/klonopin?

It is generic klonopin. I was just given it, and only took half a tablet. It knocked me out!!! I was given it today because of horrible worsening anxiety from 20 mgs of Prozac. The doc took me off the prozac because I've only been on it 15 days. He just gave me the clonazepam as needed, which I like alot. I know what it's doing to me, and exactly when it will be out of my system, and I don't have to take it every day.

I had panic attack after panic attack for the last two days. Today I went to the doctor and just couldn't stop shaking. I told him "My anxiety has NEVER been this bad. This cure is worse than the disease!!!" After observing my confusion and slurred speech, he ordered a lab. Well, wouldn't you know, my blood sugar was VERY low. In the 70's. He said these SSRI's can have a hypoclycemic side effect, particularly in those who are already sensitive, like myself. On top of that, the prozac KILLED my appetite, which was great for my figure, but terrible for my feelings. LOL.

Anyway, (sorry for rambling) I took half a tablet of the new meds and it put me on my butt. I definitely felt drunk, but it was only the negative side of drunk without the fun. The whole "I'm so drunk I need to pass out and don't know what's going on" feeling. So I had to go to sleep, but thank GOD it made me sleep! It very much took the edge off this anxiety. I may be dealing with it until the prozac completely leaves my system, or at least until I get my blood sugar back under control.
    DD born 3/24/2005

Old 08-03-2005, 06:29 AM   #3
    Derangea
    (female)

Derangea HB User

catznbrats - My heart goes out to you with everything you're going through. Its amazing that you are still fighting and trying to stay as sane as possible. You are a ver strong-willed individual. And I admire you for that. As for me, I was taken off of Prozac and put on Neurontin and Lamictal to stabalize my moods. Even though my moods were stabalized I still had the overwhelming anxiety. I'm taking the generic version of Klonopin (clonazepam) and I take .5mg 3x a day. I still feel shakey and get sad sometimes because the anxiety doesn't let my do the things I want to or should do. So I think he is going to up it to 1mg 3x a day just to get through these next couple months as I adjust to living on my own for the first time in my life. I'm 22 and always lived with my parents and commuted to college. Its going to be rough, but with the medication I know its going to be doable and I wont go over the deep end. And I know if you stick with klonopin it will take the edge off enough for you to function each day that goes by. My thoughts go out to you, I wish you the best of luck

Old 08-04-2005, 01:19 AM   #4
    catznbrats
    (female)

catznbrats HB User

I think the clonazepam is starting to work. I am less tired and I have a lot less anxiousness. Even though the problems are still there they don't seem to take over my life. This is a great site and I have found a lot of useful information on a lot of topis.

Old 08-04-2005, 12:05 PM   #5
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

clonazepam or any other valium type med can make you feel drunk or drugged at first but you get used to it soon, the answer is to reduce the dose for a while by splitting the tablet and be very careful if driving

this drunk or drugged feeling can happen when changing from 1 benzo to another, and often isnt properly understood by docs or psychiatrists

these meds are very helpful but everyone needs a different dose and adjusting the dose takes some expertise which sadly many docs and psychs lack

remember that alcahol increases the sedating effect of these meds for most

Old 08-07-2005, 07:05 AM   #6
    smc612
    (male)

smc612 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: clonazepam/klonopin?

everyone is different. i have taken every anti-depressant on the market with no luck. i suffer insomnia, extreme energy and want to eat all the time. i have GAD and post traumatic strees disorder brought on by my daughter's death 8 years ago. klonopin has worked for me. when i am really anxious i take one in the morning and one at night. after 2 weeks i can stop the one in the morning and 2 weeks after that i can sometimes stop the one at night until the next round of panic starts. after 2 weeks of 2 a day i am usually extremely tired during the day that's why i stop that one. i agree the problems are still there but easier to deal with if i am not jumping out of my skin. good luck.

Closed Thread