It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Constant dizziness for 12 yrs - is it anxiety?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-08-2005, 02:25 AM   #1
    7ducks
    (male)

7ducks HB User
    Constant dizziness for 12 yrs - is it anxiety?

Hey guys,
    i have been fighting constant dizziness for over 12 years now, and noone seems to know what's wrong with me so I thought iíd post and see if anyone had some clever ideas.

My symptoms began during study for the hsc in 1993 and have been continuously with me ever since. The Ďdizzinessí itself is an intense groggy heavyheadedness like being hungover or having a head cold 24/7, and all the constant fatigue and headaches that goes with it. I donít experience vertigo or any other motion type dizziness.

Other major symptoms (as well as low energy and frequent headaches) include: dry, sore, itchy eyes; poor memory and concentration; and neck tension and pain (and inflexibility).

I also experience anxiety, particularly when I have to speak formally in front of others or am stressed (but I worry about oh so many things), and I have been diagnosed as having an anxiety disorder or social phobia. Although I have been told that anxiety could be a cause for the constant heavyheadedness, I reckon that the anxiety is a symptom of the primary issue, whatever that is. The main reasons iím not convinced itís anxiety is that I rarely feel anxious (although iím dizzy all the time), when I do get anxious I feel a different type of dizziness like a lightheaded buzzing feeling, and the grogginess never lets up and rarely fluctuates once iím up for the day, no matter where I am or what I am doing Ö am I wrong?

I have given up litres of blood for tests with no result. Liver and thyroid are working just fine. Blood pressure is dandy. I have had two eegs, two mris on my head (10 years apart) and one on my cervical spine, plus one ct scan on my head, with no results (thankfully I guess). I went to a hearing and balance clinic years ago (does anyone know if they check out your inner ear at these places?) and that came back clear. I also saw a sleep doctor to rule out sleep apnoea and other sleeping disorders iíve tried acupuncture, massage, physio and chiro with no results. Iíve popped my body weight in pills (anti-deps, anti-psychotics and many many others) with no effect.

I recently started seeing a psychologist because I was just so miserable and kinda depressed and not dealing well with the prospect of feeling so constantly horrid for the rest of my life. Heís trying to treat anxiety with a range of drugs (ie risperidal, edranax, seroquel), none of which have had any effect.

One last thing is that sleep seems to be the main thing that makes me have either a day where I can get up and function and get to work etc, or when I donít sleep well, iím a complete mess and barely able to think through the grogginess.

So, iím at a loss what to try next. Does anyone think I might be wrong about it not being anxiety? Does anyone feel like this? Any suggestions?

Many thanks

Last edited by 7ducks; 08-19-2005 at 05:34 PM. Reason: wanted to make an addition

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2005, 06:27 AM   #2
    rachel4123
    (female)

rachel4123 HB User
    Re: Constant dizziness for 12 yrs - is it anxiety?

7ducks -

I have had "dizziness" for almost 8 months. Mine is actually a rocking/swaying feeling along with occasional lightheadedness and swimmy feeling. I get headaches, mainly a twitching, throbbing head pain that doesn;t last too long. I have been testing for everything in the book, and pretty much all has been ruled out. I am currently seeing a neurologist, after seeing a ENT and PCP. Had MRI and CT scans. My MRI had white spots which my neuro thinks are from migraines. I went through some other tests for MS, and they came back normal. Basically, my neuro says the dizziness is from a vestibular problem (inner ear). It is caused by a virus. I have anxiety over the fact that I have this and I think it makes it worse. Plus I fear having MS and my body actually mimics the symptoms like tingling in the hands and feet, and I have panic attacks. I think anxiety can cause a number of symptoms. I too am affected by my sleep. IF I don't get at least 8 hours, the day is basically shot and I am exhausted. Since they have ruled everything out for you, I would think it is caused by anxiety. But then again, I am not a Dr! Hang in there...

Old 08-08-2005, 07:40 AM   #3
    timmon123
    Inactive
    (male)

timmon123 HB User

Sounds kinda like allergies possibli affecting your inner ear to me. Have you ever had that checked out?

Last edited by msmod; 08-08-2005 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Edited to remove signature. Posting website addresses with links to chat rooms violates posting rules, even in your signature. Thanks, Ms_Mod

Old 08-08-2005, 06:46 PM   #4
    7ducks
    (male)

7ducks HB User

i think iíll definitely go get my inner ear checked out. is that what an ENT does? altho i went to a hearing and balance clinic it was so long ago and i donít remember whether they checked my the inner ear. btw, whatís a PCP??

thanks for your comments guys.

Old 08-12-2005, 06:16 PM   #5
    GoCanucks
    (male)

GoCanucks HB User

Hi I have had VERY similar stuff happening to me, except for about a year.

Here Is a topic I just posted before I stumbled upon this post.

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=314367

Old 08-14-2005, 08:51 PM   #6
    phobic
    (female)

phobic HB User

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=76

Thats another place here on the healthboards that talks a lot about inner ear stuff and the dizzyness your feeling. I just checked it out again, and you'll see where people post of dizzyness and you might find what your looking for there. I do have anxiety disorder, but i also have inner ear things that cause similar, but not the same kind of dizzy. It's amazing how familiar inner ear simptoms are to anxiety simptoms.

Old 08-15-2005, 01:11 AM   #7
    lissaboo
    (female)

lissaboo HB User

i do the same exact thing i have been dizzy for a year now its inner ear problem for me i suffered a year thinking i was dying so yeah thats probaly what yours is go get checked and see hope i helped

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TO THINE OWN SELF BE TRUE

Old 08-18-2005, 06:44 PM   #8
    7ducks
    (male)

7ducks HB User

just a quick update ... i've made an appt to see an opthamologist next week because i've recently heard that ocular dizziness can be constant and other than having a GP shine a light in my eyes i've never had them checked out properly so hey, what have i got to lose (except time and money of course but they seem to be pretty minor compared to living a normal healthy life). i've finally been referred to a neurologist as well so from there i should be able to get a referral to an ENT ... man the medical profession has it all stitched up! my psychologist is in two minds whether my anxiety is the cause or a symptom of all my woes, but he wants to make sure before he sticks me in therapy ... it's great when you finally find the support that you need!!

thanks for your advice and support guys!!

Closed Thread