It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Hi -- head shock sensations

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-10-2005, 11:25 AM   #1
    tummy2
    Veteran
    (male)

tummy2 HB User
    Hi -- head shock sensations

Hi -- I seem to be getting these strange sensations... I do have alot of anxiety but I am not on any meds lately... I used to take xanax... about 1mg per day total...... I stopped taking that and havent taken it since... but I am experiencing these strange shocking sensations through my head..

I had all the other tests which seem to be fine.. Has anyone ever head of this type of symptom for anxiety even when your not on and meds or never have taken any?? aside from xanax that is....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2005, 11:35 AM   #2
    tnmomofive
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tnmomofive HB User
    Re: Hi -- head shock sensations

How long ago did you stop taking the Xanax? I had the shock sensations ,but it was while weaning off Paxil and they lasted for about a month or so after being totaly off it.I think there are also certian types of headaches with those sensations.This is prob from withdrawl from Xanax ,or anxiety.I would mention it to your doctor though and see what other repsonces you get here.

sorry I couldnt help more ........take care

Old 08-10-2005, 11:41 AM   #3
    tummy2
    Veteran
    (male)

tummy2 HB User

I havent taken xanax for 3 months.... But I am getting zapping sensations.... They started about 1 week after I ended the xanax.... That and dizziness... I dont knoww hy they havent gone away yet...

Old 08-10-2005, 12:23 PM   #4
    Punkdizzle
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Punkdizzle HB User

does is feel like a bolt of lightning just zapped you and your body jolts? if so i get that also it feels like it starts in my head goes through my neck and ends in my collar bone area.. when it happens my head and neck jerk to the side for a split second and then its gone.. i really have no idea what it is but i have had this happen without warning for the last 10 yrs.. it must be anxiety related because with all the tests i have been through nothing ever turned up wrong..

Old 08-10-2005, 12:39 PM   #5
    tummy2
    Veteran
    (male)

tummy2 HB User

yea it feels like that -- Basically like a shocking sensations that zaps me momentarily.... Yea seems to end in my collarbone area as well... Sometimes maybe kinda down my back.. It seems to get aggravated when I get startled or something.

Old 08-10-2005, 12:50 PM   #6
    NathanF41
    Inactive
    (male)

NathanF41 HB User

Judging by when it started, it could be xanax withdrawal. Tummy2, what dose of xanax were you taking for how long? How often were you taking it? And did you just stop taking it one day or did you wean off?

I've had something similar to this every so often like in my neck area...I think it's anxiety for me, and could be for you. But judging by when yours started it's either xanax withdrawal, or your anxiety returning.

Old 08-10-2005, 05:03 PM   #7
    survivin
    (male)

survivin HB User

i had the zaps and what felt like novacain shots on my mouth after stopping zoloft. it didnt let up for about 3-4 months. but now i have been zap and novacain free for about 8 months. i told my dr about it. he just nodded and said "hmmmmm" dont know. i think time eventually makes it go away
    good luck

Old 08-12-2005, 06:24 PM   #8
    Chelt28
    (male)

Chelt28 HB User

I've never taken any meds for anxiety but those shock sensations sound exactly like what I used to experience when I was younger. Mine would usually zap me whilst I was turning my head so I assume it is something to do with having a very sensitive nervous system. Perhaps the nerves are extremely worn down and sensitive during particulalry anxious periods like a sore area that has been rubbed raw.

Old 08-12-2005, 06:48 PM   #9
    AnnabelleLee777
    (female)

AnnabelleLee777 HB User

These "zaps" are from the medication. It's not really withdrawl, it's just that the meds can sometimes mess with your brain chemisty too mucha and cause these while starting these types of medication, and also you can get them when you stop taking the medication. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but for some people it can be permanent. Check out the book "Prozac Nation", thats where I read about the "zaps" because I was having them too when I was on anti-deppressants.

Old 08-13-2005, 11:21 AM   #10
    NathanF41
    Inactive
    (male)

NathanF41 HB User

Yeah, well, I wouldn't have gone and given the guy a panic attack by saying they could be permanent. Most people tend to get over their withdrawal. If they're not gone within a half a year, and if they seem pretty constant..then I would start looking into post withdrawal anxiety as a cause and a dr. for assistance.

Old 08-13-2005, 12:08 PM   #11
    tnmomofive
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tnmomofive HB User

I guess some people have had the zaps long after stopping the meds,but honestly I have never met nor known one who has.I have loads of family members who have taken anti depressants and also friends and myself.The zaps did happen to us all when weaning off and then for a while after,but it went away for us all.So try not to worry about it being permanent because most likely it wont.

Closed Thread