It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Lexapro and sweating

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-10-2005, 06:10 PM   #1
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BostonGirl44 HB User
    Lexapro and sweating

My bf is on Lexapro (20mg/day). For the past few nights, I'll wake up in the middle of the night and notice that he'll have really bad night sweats. It's been very hot out lately, but the a/c has been on full blast (it's to the point that I'm completely freezing). I think for him it started when he went back on the medication again. Has this happened to anyone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2005, 08:02 PM   #2
    woodfaery
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

woodfaery HB User
    Re: Lexapro and sweating

Yes, Lexapro makes me sweat still. In the beginning it was way worse, but now when I work out it seems like I sweat way way more than I ever did. It feels gross, but the Lexapro works wonders in other ways for me. But the sweating is truly annoying, I know because I go through it often.
    WF

Old 08-10-2005, 08:21 PM   #3
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Thanks for your response, woodfaery. He's definitely annoyed by the sweating too. How long have you been on Lexapro?

Old 08-11-2005, 02:38 PM   #4
    woodfaery
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

woodfaery HB User

Well I have been on it (this is my second time around on it) for about 3 1/2 months now. It seems to be a really good antidressant though and helps with anxiety really great.
    You are so sweet to be there for your boyfriend--this stuff can be no fun sometimes.
    As for the sweating, I dont know if it will stop or be on going. I just make sure I carry around extra deoderant and body spray, it seems to help. Yet I still once in awhile get wet spots under my arms. Oh well. LOL.
    WF

Old 08-11-2005, 08:06 PM   #5
    jjules
    (female)

jjules HB User

Sweating is so annoying, I though do not sweat anymore or anyless on Lexapro. The only side effect is the big d.....They say sweating is good for the body gets out the toxins-lowers blood pressure...anyways I'm sure it is not pleasant for either on of you I wish I could help you on this one! Jules

Last edited by jjules; 08-11-2005 at 08:08 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 08-12-2005, 07:02 AM   #6
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Thanks for your replies woodfaery and jjules. He was on it a few years ago and didn't experience any sweating so we weren't sure if it was due to the Lexapro or not. Aside from the sweating (which, you're right, is no fun ) the medication is working really well for him. So as much as it is an annoying side effect, I'm just glad he found something that works well for him.

Old 08-15-2005, 09:39 AM   #7
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

The sweating has gradually decreased but he still feels like it's a problem. Another lexapro question....for a little over a week he has been doing great, just like his old self without the meds. Last night, he called me as he was on his way to work. He said that he had just pulled over on the highway and just started panicking. He thought about turning around and coming home but then ended up arriving at work anyway and started to feel a little better. Does this happen to anyone, where you're doing great and then get hit with anxiety/panic attacks and then go back to being okay again?

Old 08-15-2005, 02:02 PM   #8
    woodfaery
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

woodfaery HB User

Wow, I am so proud of your boyfriend. By working through the anxiety and making himself go to work was a big step and something to be very pleased about within himself. Many therapists work with anxiety patients by actually taking them to actually face and confront the panic. Your boyfriend is definately doing the work he needs to be doing by pushing himself just a little further by taking the step of proceding on and living his life. Its not uncommon to experience some panic and anxiety even on meds. While Lexapro appears to do wonders for me, and I am continually thankful...I on occasion still experience anxiety...but am finding because I am on this medication its easier to cope with the anxiety and panic. You are so kind to be there for your boyfriend, he sounds too like he is making good progress.
    WF

Old 08-15-2005, 02:06 PM   #9
    woodfaery
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

woodfaery HB User

Oh yes, I forgot to mention. IN case of emegency situations (like when having a panic attack all of a sudden out of the blue) I carry ativan (lorazepam) with me in my purse just in case. Although I dont take them often (maybe 1 or 2 times every few months) they are helpful just in case the anxiety is too extreme. You may want to mention to your boyfriend to mention to his doc. Some doctors are leary about prescribing a benzodiazapine because they are highly addicting, but if his doctor knows the anxiety is very extreme he may consider it. Good luck!
    WF

Old 08-15-2005, 05:26 PM   #10
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Thanks for all the info, woodfaery! I'm really glad that he continued on to work even though he was just hit with that panic out of the blue. I think he realizes he can't let this control his life. He told me he felt more bad for me because he woke me up (he starts work at 11 pm) but I don't care about that...I just want to make sure he has someone to talk to about this when he needs to. He's been sleeping pretty much all day since he got home this morning...just as I said that, I heard him walking around upstairs lol. Anyway....I will definitely mention the ativan and see if that's something that he's ever considered. Thanks again!

Old 08-15-2005, 07:45 PM   #11
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Just wanted to add that I did talk to him about ativan and he's going to talk to his doctor about it. He's doing pretty horrible right now. We just got back from a walk and when we got back to his place, he paced for about half an hour. I hate that he feels this way and there's nothing I can do to fix it. He called out of work because he didn't think he could work the whole night. He's one of those guys that is very much in control of his life and he says when he goes through this anxiety and stress, he hates that he feels out of control. We've known each other for about 7 months and dating for 2, and he worried that I would think he was crazy or I wouldn't be able to deal with his anxiety. It seems like a lot of the people in his life don't understand what he's going through. I think it is so important for people who have a loved one who is going through this to be there for them even if they can't do anything to fix it. I've learned a lot from him and won't ever take for granted that I'm lucky enough that this isn't something I've had to go through.

Old 08-16-2005, 09:51 PM   #12
    kristycake
    (female)

kristycake HB User

Question? I just started Lexapro and I am feeling like I am in walking in a dream or numb state and cant come out. Mythinking feels slow also. Did anyone else have this feeling? It is scaring me.
    Bostongirl, what dose is your bf on? I dont want any panic attacks while taking Lexapro. I didnt have any on Paxil and it worked wonderful for my anxiety and depression. I just wanted to try something else, but I dont want any attacks!

Last edited by kristycake; 08-16-2005 at 09:56 PM.

Old 08-16-2005, 10:56 PM   #13
    u0392185
    (male)

u0392185 HB User

Is your BF's anxiety worse at night? I find when I sweat it is usually because I am expiriencing "High Anxiety" (Anyone see that movie?) But seriously when i was driving on the freeway today and felt really anxious my hands and under-arms were soaked. When I quit driving it got much better.

Old 08-17-2005, 08:46 AM   #14
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kristycake
    Question? I just started Lexapro and I am feeling like I am in walking in a dream or numb state and cant come out. Mythinking feels slow also. Did anyone else have this feeling? It is scaring me.
    Bostongirl, what dose is your bf on? I dont want any panic attacks while taking Lexapro. I didnt have any on Paxil and it worked wonderful for my anxiety and depression. I just wanted to try something else, but I dont want any attacks!
    Hi Kristycake,
    My bf said that sometimes he feels like he's in a numb state. He usually feels worse at night but lexapro has been working well for him except the past few days. He's taking 20mg/day. He also has a prescription for xanax. He doesn't take that very often but has been taking it in conjunction with the lexapro. He has been more exhausted than anything lately. He went to bed at midnight on Monday and woke up Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. It seems excessive but I'm not sure if it's just the medication that's knocking him out.

Old 08-17-2005, 08:50 AM   #15
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by u0392185
    Is your BF's anxiety worse at night? I find when I sweat it is usually because I am expiriencing "High Anxiety" (Anyone see that movie?) But seriously when i was driving on the freeway today and felt really anxious my hands and under-arms were soaked. When I quit driving it got much better.
    Hey u0392185,

His anxiety does seem much worse at night. He's usually asleep during the day because he works nights, though. But when he's off nights and is awake during the day, the anxiety seems less. We talked a lot about what triggered his setback and I think he needs to be able to work through that too. He said he overthinks and worries about everything and he has a really stressful job too, which doesn't help the situation.

The sweating is still there but less. He thought it was worse when we were out for our walk but I was sweaty and gross too so we knew it wasn't just him.

Closed Thread